+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, HEADTEACHERS!! in General; This is the sort of thing I am up against: When told that my server (which happens to be located ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,303 Times in 1,620 Posts

HEADTEACHERS!!

This is the sort of thing I am up against:
    When told that my server (which happens to be located in one of the two IT rooms in the school) was now full, and the whole system would soon fail if he didn't get the new drives I have been shouting about since October - my headteacher said:

"Oh well, if it does fail, people will have to use the other computer room"

I don't think that he really understands the concept of a network, do you?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: HEADTEACHERS!!

my suggestion write it down in plain simple english if it fails no one in school will be able to use a computer.

Russ

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Just make sure he's directly affected first. Nothing like first hand experience to get your point accross.

Thank Post

I find putting stuff down on paper and explaining it clearly helps tremendously. That way they can read it in their own time and take it in better and not be bombabrded with information they dont understand and just stand there looking at you blankly.

Thank Post

My head likes 'pictures' - if you can show how it will affect people in a diagram, it seems to be easier to understand

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

MS Visio to the rescue!

Thank Post

A friend of mine who works in a school had an ancient server that broke one day through lack of money being available to upgrade etc.

The Headmaster wanted the network back up and running ASAP so he was ordered to buy a server from stock (wasnt allowed to wait the 5-7 days for a Dell build) and ended up with some shoddy compaq/hp that had been on a shelf for months and had old hat hardware.

After a few months this server reached its capacity and things started to slow down and fall over, again the headmaster released funds to buy an additional server.

What I dont understand is why does everything have to be on it's last legs for money to be made available! If the head had just released both sets of money and given the tech time, they could have had a well specced server that would have lasted far longer than the two they have now!

Thank Post

I find the way that you inform the SMT, about server requirements and so on, makes all the difference.

At my old school, we used to have a 'ICT development' meeting once a week, where all the stakeholders in ICT met to discuss current issues and future developments. The kind of stakeholders we had were:
    * Member of Senior Management
    * Head of ICT
    * ICT Coordinator
    * ICT cross-curricular coordinator
    * Head of Business Admin (Typing)
    * Network Manager
    * ICT Techncian
    * School Business Manager (Finance)

There was an agenda and minutes were taken.

I also presented a biannual IT service report, where I outlined the current usage of IT in the school, showed the problem areas and possible solutions and also how many help desk calls were made etc. It was also a chance to highlight were we thought money needed to be spent (New switches or servers etc) along with what has been spent on IT to-date.

I found this gave the senior management full confidence that I had the whole IT environment under control. So when I asked for a new server, I got one; they already knew about it at least about 6-12 months earlier because it was in the Service Report.

-Kev

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH
    I find putting stuff down on paper and explaining it clearly helps tremendously. That way they can read it in their own time and take it in better and not be bombabrded with information they dont understand and just stand there looking at you blankly.
    Pffft, just turn the damn thing off and go offsite for a meeting - give him a first hand demonstration of the carnage.

10. Thanks to Alex from:

bossman (17th September 2009)

Thank Post

rofl @ alex...

yeah and walk back to a P45 lol

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Yeah - we have the same Kev - maybe not quite as neat! Ours tends to be rubber stamping stuff manglement [cheers Tony ] want to do. But to be fair I do have my say and I do get stuff. I presented a five year plan off my own bat and the Head said she'd never had it in black and white before, and could see now what the priorities were. So, highly recommended if you can manage it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries

I sat down with the Head and Business Manager around 2 weeks ago with rough ideas around a 1, 2, 3 and 5 year plan ...

This included all the various things from me, stuff from Spot and ideas that the head had already mentioned.

And the end result was that we know we can't sustain the expansion without other parts of the school missing out.

And then the realisation that the head may change his mind about something and the best laid plans of mice and men ...

So the final decision about what happens is something like this. We have a rough number of machines we replace each year. This will get reduced as we introduce terminals / thin clients and the Laptops for Students scheme expands. Factor in that any particular room we want to improve may get dropped 3 weeks before we order the kit in ready for a summer blitz due to changes in the curriculum.

Improvise, adapt, overcome!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

hmmm - *thinks of the £10k budget this year*

:waves: accross the divide

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,303 Times in 1,620 Posts

I can only dream of 'meetings' - I am a lowly part-time techie who works for an IT co-ordinator who is, herself, ignored by the head! All your ideas sound great, and I would love to be in a situation where I could implement any of them (especially the 'turn it off and walk out scenario!! - no, not really) but I'm afraid that, in my situation, it isn't going to happen.
    My other part-time job isnt any better - I spent ages sorting out possible new systems after the head asked me too, and then he completly ignored everything I had said, which is why it looks as if we are going to end up with RM.
    Still, maybe I can make some of you see that you aren't so badly off after all!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

RM - that Head has PLENTY of money then

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information