+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Who 'owns' a free email account? in General; Originally Posted by FN-Greatermanchester no judge is going to take this seriously he will throw it out of court. We ...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Who 'owns' a free email account?

Quote Originally Posted by FN-Greatermanchester
    no judge is going to take this seriously he will throw it out of court.
    We know. All great fun.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Oh, and there were some photos too...
    ;-)

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by _Bat_
    Lol. I've had some rather interesting (to say the least) e-mails get caught on the swear filter (so they get sent to me and not the recipient).

To save embarassment for certain people, I never told them that I'd seen the e-mails.
    I once had emails redirected to me from a member of staff ordering s?x toys from an adult site. At that point I changed the filtering so any offending emails were deleted and sender/recipient notified! I have no wish to have any knowledge of these emails.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by dancingdruid
    Quote Originally Posted by _Bat_
    Lol. I've had some rather interesting (to say the least) e-mails get caught on the swear filter (so they get sent to me and not the recipient).

To save embarassment for certain people, I never told them that I'd seen the e-mails.
    I once had emails redirected to me from a member of staff ordering sex toys from an adult site. At that point I changed the filtering so any offending emails were deleted and sender/recipient notified! I have no wish to have any knowledge of these emails.
    You kidding? I'd love knowing if a certain teacher was into S&M or bought butt-plugs! :P

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,699 Posts

I would have thought if you have the password and the 'forgotten password' thingy goes to you and not to her, then surely it is your account?

BTY: why did you go into her account and not just send her an email warning her that it was to be deleted?

I have just deleted the ex-head's account - he left 6 months ago - and he has come up and asked why he can't access it as he needs the email addresses on it!
    I am not in the least worried (it is a school easymail so slightly different to your situation) but the new head keeps telling me not to worry!

It is just good practice to delete email addresses of people who have left. BUT I am going to issue guidelines on email usage and a reminder that the account will be deleted AS SOON AS the person leaves.
    An in-school email would sort out your problem as there can be no argument as to who the email account belong too.
    Good luck - what have your school said?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by WITCH
    BTY: why did you go into her account and not just send her an email warning her that it was to be deleted?
    I believe it was a free email, e.g. hotmail. Very difficult to delete by yourself. Quite possibly the easiest thing to do is contact hotmail, gmail, yahoo or whoever, tell them of the issue. Ask them if they can disable the account or just delete it etc. as it contains your business name and the person using it is pretending to still work there.

Then contact the person, tell them you no longer have access to the account and that you have requested it be disabled / deleted as it contains the school name and that it is not appropriate for them to have it.

Let em deal with M$'s lawyers!

Thank Post

I would have thought if you have the password and the 'forgotten password' thingy goes to you and not to her, then surely it is your account?

I have just deleted the ex-head's account - he left 6 months ago - and he has come up and asked why he can't access it as he needs the email addresses on it!
    I am not in the least worried (it is a school easymail so slightly different to your situation) but the new head keeps telling me not to worry!

It is just good practice to delete email addresses of people who have left. BUT I am going to issue guidelines on email usage and a reminder that the account will be deleted AS SOON AS the person leaves.
    An in-school email would sort out your problem as there can be no argument as to who the email account belong too.
    Good luck - what have your school said?
    Has he been using it for the previous 6 months or did you disable it as soon as he left?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skoggmeiger
    Has he been using it for the previous 6 months or did you disable it as soon as he left?
    That wouldn't matter if it was a school address - it is the school's property, so they can delete it as and when they like.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,699 Posts

He had been using it. I left it live for a bit as I knew he would take ages to get his stuff off it, but I thought he would have done it by now!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

He had been using it. I left it live for a bit as I knew he would take ages to get his stuff off it, but I thought he would have done it by now!
    Lol, took us 6 months to get our old head to return his laptop - he 'forgot' he still had it....

8O

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy
    Lol, took us 6 months to get our old head to return his laptop - he 'forgot' he still had it....

8O
    That's the other classic one, staff who think the school laptops they recieve are their own personal property.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Friez
    That's the other classic one, staff who think the school laptops they recieve are their own personal property.
    Yeah, tell me about it. Amazing isn't it how much stuff can reside off-site - printers, scanners, laptops, digital cameras, etc...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

8O
    Oh they can keep them. However they need to reimburse the tax man for the 17.5% VAT of the original retail purchase price.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff

8O
    Oh they can keep them. However they need to reimburse the tax man for the 17.5% VAT of the original retail purchase price.
    Can we pretend the laptop cost 10k?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

If you can forge the paperwork.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast