+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Who 'owns' a free email account? in General; I looked at it, and looked good, did play with the idea of using it for kids accounts. I assume ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,346 Times in 824 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Who 'owns' a free email account?

I looked at it, and looked good, did play with the idea of using it for kids accounts.

I assume it doesn't interfere with your exchange server? mail returns etc?

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,346 Times in 744 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Friez
    He/She is basically a moron, let him/her go to court and incur all the costs since (s)he has absolutely no evidence that it was his/her personal email address nor that it was 'hacked' (which it wasn't).

You can buy in / use third party email accounts like easymail, they are your property. Hotmail/GMail/Yahoo/whatever should really be no different. It is an asset of the company and said obnoxious person will not win any legal battle in this case.
    It's getting interesting now - the person is now threatening to call in the police. Our legal dept. at the LEA are dealing with it now. Some people are muppets.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy
    He/She is basically a moron, let him/her go to court and incur all the costs since (s)he has absolutely no evidence that it was his/her personal email address nor that it was 'hacked' (which it wasn't).

You can buy in / use third party email accounts like easymail, they are your property. Hotmail/GMail/Yahoo/whatever should really be no different. It is an asset of the company and said obnoxious person will not win any legal battle in this case.
    It's getting interesting now - the person is now threatening to call in the police. Our legal dept. at the LEA are dealing with it now. Some people are muppets.
    Given their lack of expertise in dealing with computer crime, I wouldn't worry about them going to the Police. They won't show an interest.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy
    Sounds like you've had a fun day . I doubt they will call the police or anyone like that... they must know they have no chance of winning as they never set it up.

What is their excuse?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by _Bat_
    What is their excuse?
    They're bleating because of the personal email content in the account. Tough - it was set up for work use only.

I wonder who I'll upset tomorrow 8O

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

They legally don't have a leg to stand on since its an email address set up and created by the school, it is therefore your property. If they can prove that it is their property then they will win in court.

To save yourself further future agro, get your own in-house email
    Unless the policy in force when the employee started using it for personal messages, data etc explicitly forbade the use for personal purposes then I suspect the user has got legs to stand on. Even if it's the college's own, in-house, email system then the user has rights.

This is the kind of thing where the only people who win are the lawyers - and they'll have a field day if it gets that far!

Thank Post

No policy was ever implemented regarding the usage of the account.
    I suggest you get a policy in place so that members of staff know exactly where they stand, before the same thing happens again. Just let them know this is for school/business use, and is not intended for personal emails. It would also be fair to inform them should a case be raised against the school and it becomes necessary for this email account to be investigated, any personal emails, such as declarations of love towards, or slagging off fellow workers, will also be trawled through.

Thank Post

You should also make a no liability disclaimer that they have to sign in order to use the systems that you maintain/set up for them :P

Unless the policy in force when the employee started using it for personal messages, data etc explicitly forbade the use for personal purposes then I suspect the user has got legs to stand on.
    If they have any legs to stand on in a court regarding this, they're most certainly broken ones. In a court a judge would probably laugh at the fact that a staff member is trying to claim that a company resource is infact their own personal property and that its the company trying to 'steal' it from them.

The fact of the matter is that this individual has barely any evidence that this is true so they will have an incredibly difficult time trying to hold up a claim like that, let alone get any success in court.

Of course that doesn't mean that they won't TRY to sue you, we know people can be incredibly... umm... stupid?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Of course that doesn't mean that they won't TRY to sue you, we know people can be incredibly... umm... stupid?
    Tell me about it - we had a letter from their solicitor this morning....

:cry:

Thank Post

Out of interest (I'll understand if you don't wish to answer) what position was this person in?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by _Bat_
    Out of interest (I'll understand if you don't wish to answer) what position was this person in?

Member of the support team - office job.

Thank Post

Hah! Shows you how ridiculous and petty some people can be! Why don't they set up another email account?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Hah! Shows you how ridiculous and petty some people can be! Why don't they set up another email account?
    Why don't they just go and get a life, eh?

8)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I would have thought it was a reasonable request to ask the person to vacate this account as it was set up for business use by the school. Also as you had the password to the account I think that also proves that you are part owner.

Maybe problematic for them if they've let others know of the address and are still receiving mail from them. In this case it's definitely them in the wrong, they should never have started using it for personal use. I'd be wary of treading on their privacy though - be generous and give them every opportunity and plenty of time to vacate the account.

Thank Post

Keep us updated on this... I'm curious if anyone will have a sudden outbreak of common sense along the way

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast