+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Should I feel guilty? in General; I mentioned in a previous thread that one of our cleaners had asked me to look at her Advent netbook. ...

Thank Post

Should I feel guilty?

I mentioned in a previous thread that one of our cleaners had asked me to look at her Advent netbook. The HDD was totally knackered and I told her I could get a replacement on Ebay and, as the COA was rubbed away, I would probably have to get a replacement copy of Windows, so it would cost her in excess of 50. She said it wasn't worth it and next day gave me the netbook. I found an 80GB drive and with the help of a couple of members got XP Home running and now I have a nice little netbook. I gave the cleaner 30. Was I being fair? She seemed happy with the money.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,480 Posts
    I did exactly the same with a TA's laptop-but I didn't give her any money for it. I did spend ages getting some pictures off it for her though. The HDD was knackered and I bought a new one, bought a Win7 home licence and sold the whole thing to a friend for about 40 cheaper than she could get it on line.
    I did feel a bit guilty but I do enough for free so I told the TA I couldn't set it all up for her for less than 30 (I had got the pics off for free after all-and it wasn't an easy one, either) and with the cost of the licence and the HDD, she decided to chuck it.

3. Thanks to witch from:

laserblazer (9th February 2013)

Thank Post
    Nice that people ask you guys. We have people who bring in personal PCs and laptops who expect us to fix them assuming it's our job. An old colleague put a fair bit of work into a lappy once after he told the guy he didn't have time to do it. Probably put in 3 - 4 hours, not even a thanks. I did laugh quite a lot when the staff member left the office and my colleague sat their open mouthed. Not even the token bottle of wine hahaha

Thank Post
    PS don't feel guilty

6. Thanks to markwilfan from:

laserblazer (10th February 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread