+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Goodbye for two years! in General; Unfortunately I'm going to be leaving both edugeek and the world of IT for two years starting from about 1.5 ...

Thank Post

Goodbye for two years!

Unfortunately I'm going to be leaving both edugeek and the world of IT for two years starting from about 1.5 months time. :cry:

This is for religious reasons. Basically, the church that I am a member of (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints or "the mormons") has asked me to serve a mission for two years.

I'm not going quite yet, but I just wanted to thank the members of this forum for all the help I have been given from them over the past year and a bit. My job would not have been the same without this place. Also to thank Dos_Box for setting it up!

For anyone interested, I'm going to be located at the Mormon Preston Temple. Anyone who lives near Preston Or Chorley will know exactly what I am talking about (you can see the white tower with the small statue on top for miles around!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,164 Times in 989 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Goodbye for two years!

I'm going to be located at the Mormon Preston Temple
    We shall have to meet. I work in Chorley and pass it twice a day. A lovely, massive, new build church (temple).
    And thanks for your thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Why are you going if you do not feel called to go on this mission?

Thank Post

Bye for now ! What does it all involve?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by nicholab
    Why are you going if you do not feel called to go on this mission?
    I do. I want to go... but I also don't want to leave either.

Quote Originally Posted by jake
    Bye for now ! What does it all involve?
    I'm not 100% certain myself. I'll be doing a lot of work there... bits of it there is no point in detailing because it focuses on the religous aspects of the temple. The majority of the time though I'll be working just like I am in my job now, but doing different things, such as working in the office, working with the engineers (I'm really looking forward to that bit) etc. They say they will train me up as an electrician which should be cool.

... I also found out they have no IT support personnel on site, so I think that will probably become my job as well

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Ah just down the road from me. There are a lot of EduGeekers in the Preston area. You'll have to pop in and say hello.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

So you are going to give up your job, your income, your life, your future employment and the internet to live in a church in Chorley and work for free for 2 years, on the whim of some bloke who's be elected to be head of your church?

Seriously? Madness.

Will you be doing the door to door stuff as well? If you think you get badly treated by people now, wait until you are sworn at and have doors slammed in your face.

Thank Post

Midget, you could argue the exact same points for Catholic missionaries, you could maybe also argue the latter point about door-to-door stuff for the more apostolic orders, not that you see them much in the UK.

I think that if _Bat_ feels that he wants to do this then good on him!

I dont think i could manage it, so if he feels that this will enrich his life or help him to grow within the community of his curch, then cool

It's not really our place to put him down for it or question his decision.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

I'm not questioning his belief or his religion, that's a personal choice, but the IT market is difficult enough as it is. I couldn't imagine trying to explain to people that I spent the last 2 years not working (doesn't matter what you are doing, it is seen as dossing by the interviewer) and 2 years without experiance and not in the market could be a death knoll for his career.

I would hold the same view over any religion asking a person to do this,

and there ARE door to door mormon salesmen in the UK, we'd have them all the time in uni, and drunk students are NOT curtious when interupted.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts

Sorry to lose you as I think you and I have a very similar working environment, and you have been very supportive of me along the way!

Whilst I do not think it is my business to comment on your choices, I am interested as to whether you will try to get back into IT after your 2 years, and if so, whether you thnk it will be difficult?

Thank Post

@Midget...I wasn't refering to mormons when i said more apostolic orders. I was refering to apostolic orders of the RC church.

I've never had a mormon come to the door...i've had jehova's whitnesses wake me up. Now...you should NEVER wake a student. I kept them talking whilst they were stood in the rain...mean, but if they hadn't woken me up have just said that i was catholic and not particularly interested.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,692 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Blog Entries

so long, take care!

Thank Post

All the best James....

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Midget
    So you are going to give up your job
    Yep

your income
    Yep

your life
    No. Our church has around 12,000,000 members. Every male when they reach the age of 19 is required to serve a mission (I left mine a bit late for several reasons). We have tens of thousands out in the field as we speak, so I've seen and spoken to more then enough ex missionaries and current missionaries to know the experience is worth while. I find it difficult to explain, but you gain an awful lot of life experience in just two years.

your future employment
    No. Again, I know of hundreds of missionaries who have returned and had no trouble finding work.

and the internet
    Now that would be difficult. I'm quite addicted to the internet. But fortunately I'm still allowed to go to the library in chorley and use the internet there

to live in a church in Chorley
    It's not a church, it's a temple. There is quite a difference. But yes, I'll be doing something similar to this.

and work for free for 2 years
    Well, if you wanna see it like that, yes. While I'm not doing for personal gain, I don't exactly lose out. As I said, you gain a lot of life experience doing this.

on the whim of some bloke who's be elected to be head of your church?
    I guess you could say that. I happen to believe he is right.

Seriously? Madness.
    That's a matter of opinion but years of experience from other people has told me other wise.

Will you be doing the door to door stuff as well? If you think you get badly treated by people now, wait until you are sworn at and have doors slammed in your face.
    Could well be. And that's part of the experience. Personally that wouldn't bother me though.

I couldn't imagine trying to explain to people that I spent the last 2 years not working (doesn't matter what you are doing, it is seen as dossing by the interviewer) and 2 years without experiance and not in the market could be a death knoll for his career.
    Not true. As I said, I've seen this happen more then enough times to know I'll have no trouble getting a job afterwards. My careers advisor said the same thing as you at college, but that is only because it's a rare thing to do and there is no particular "text book" reponse to it, therefore it "must be a bad thing". Even in IT, it isn't too difficult. I have friends in the church who also work in IT and they had no trouble getting jobs after they returned.

Quote Originally Posted by witch
    Whilst I do not think it is my business to comment on your choices, I am interested as to whether you will try to get back into IT after your 2 years, and if so, whether you thnk it will be difficult?
    I definately will be going back to IT. I have a few plans in mind... and if what Midget says turns out to be true because of being out of paid work for two years (I honestly don't think it will) I will try and get a job in the church offices with their IT support team. I do have a few IT contacts within the church as well and they might be able to help me out somewhat. One of them is a manager of a local IT company and I have worked for him before.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

Lots of people have vocations outside of their day jobs and these often call you to make a sacrifice for something you believe in. @ _bat_ I salute your courage for doing this.

I know of others who have done similar, some related to religion and some definitely not.

One example I could mention is a successful soldier giving up his career to be an athletics coach. He moved from a Warrant Officer's salary to earning less than an LSA. He wanted to make a difference to the lives and possibilities of some kids ... he has successfully trained 4 commonwealth medalists and one world champion and now works as a part-time handy man at a school to give him the flexibility to go on tour with his proteges.

Another example is one of our science techs who has now left the school for an unspecified length of time so that he can become a lay minister and maybe more.

Personally I am looking forward to taking some time off to do something I have always wanted ... as much as it would be a sacrifice to give up working in a school I feel I have a duty to become a lottery millionaire.

It was worth a thought anyway.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast