+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, BBC Radio in General; I can't count the number of times I've been asked to record this or that radio programme. I normally say ...
    Thank Post

BBC Radio

I can't count the number of times I've been asked to record this or that radio programme. I normally say no, things like BBC don't let you. (That and the software I use to do that kind of thing is my own and works very badly through the school internet connection)

Today I was asked by an SMT and I figured I'd give it a go, and as usually wmrecorder didn't work too well here (works great at home). I then remembered the new real player beta...

So with the new real player beta installed I launched the rm link, pressed record and low and below it said no It would seem BBC have put some DRM on the stream and real player (probably quite rightly) stops you saving anything like that.

So I was about to give up when I saw a link to a windows media stream. I thought, no, they couldn't be that daft, but like the sneaky bastard I am I decided to give it a go. I threw the mms stream at real player, pressed record and it works fine, no fiddling, just press record and it works, even lets you set an end time (good for live radio streams)

So it looks like BBC missed that one and I figured I'd mention it here (or whatever more appropriate forum it gets moved it, couldn't see one I thought "just right")

Of course, none of this ever actually happened

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: BBC Radio

Yes, mplayer on my Linux box exhibits the same useful functionality. Even on the real player stream.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by AlexB
    I can't count the number of times I've been asked to record this or that radio programme. I normally say no, things like BBC don't let you. (That and the software I use to do that kind of thing is my own and works very badly through the school internet connection)

Today I was asked by an SMT and I figured I'd give it a go, and as usually wmrecorder didn't work too well here (works great at home). I then remembered the new real player beta...

So with the new real player beta installed I launched the rm link, pressed record and low and below it said no It would seem BBC have put some DRM on the stream and real player (probably quite rightly) stops you saving anything like that.

So I was about to give up when I saw a link to a windows media stream. I thought, no, they couldn't be that daft, but like the sneaky bastard I am I decided to give it a go. I threw the mms stream at real player, pressed record and it works fine, no fiddling, just press record and it works, even lets you set an end time (good for live radio streams)

So it looks like BBC missed that one and I figured I'd mention it here (or whatever more appropriate forum it gets moved it, couldn't see one I thought "just right")

Of course, none of this ever actually happened
    You can download from Emule a BBC Radio Ripper, or you can get an XP Record Program that records whats playing on your PC through Media Player, Winamp or A N Ohter even if you can't within the program...

Thank Post

Yeah I would just use Audacity to record it

Thank Post

I use a program called orbit to rip real media, wmv and flv formats directly off the net. It's free, and it works well for me. See here;

http://www.orbitdownloader.com/

Mike.

Thank Post

Audacity for me

regards

Simon

Thank Post

It is possible to save real audio streams from Listen Again for practically all national BBC programmes, then convert them to whatever you need for further use.

The software i use is NetTransport, but there are others available out there.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread