+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, A+ Certification in General; Originally Posted by Little-Miss Me. Am I correct in thinking that something changed with it recently? I am A+ certified ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    Me. Am I correct in thinking that something changed with it recently?
    I am A+ certified and it was well worth taking as it is an industry-recognised qualification that shows a minimum level of competency in key areas. I think what @witch might be referring to is the fact that previously (when I took it), once you passed the exam you were qualified for life. Now they have changed it so that it is only valid for 3 years. Well worth doing if you're starting out in IT though as it can mean the difference between getting a job and not getting it based on 'lack of experience'. Although once you have a few years experience under your belt, this will count for more than the CompTIA as it is more relevant and current to roles you are applying for. That being said, it can also mean a massive step up if you want to go from 'support technician' to 'Network management' to get the networking qualification as support technician experience won't necessarily help you make that leap.

So ultimately I guess it depends on whether you are wanting to prove existing experience, or prove skills beyond current job role.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    That being said, it can also mean a massive step up if you want to go from 'support technician' to 'Network management' to get the networking qualification as support technician experience won't necessarily help you make that leap.
    That's actually a very good question for the NM's among us. How much do (you let) your techies get involved with the networking and server stuff?

I pretty much give my techs a free reign and involve them in all our ongoing projects. Does have the negative effect though that I turn over techs quiet quickly as they gain experience and move on to pastures new

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,675 Posts
    . I think what @witch......
    Not me @Little-Miss ! Check out the BETT pics and you will be able to tell the difference!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Got my a+ few years back before they changed it to expiring every 3 years @Little-Miss and was worth doing yes. It gives you knowledge that you can throw into an interview, or into a troubleshooting scenario. Does it make you a techy, not really, you are passing an exam an we all do those for one reason, to get the certificate! But it definitely looks good on the old CV!

Thank Post
    Got my A+ 7 days before the change to sit the exams every 3 years. Was really pleased about that. As the others have said. It's a good foundation and it's industry recognised. However not all that highly.

Thank Post
    I'm A+ certified (again, before they changed them to expire every 3 years). I only did it because college paid for it and I thought it might be a useful qualification to have. I passed both exams with the highest marks the college had seen(!). The things in the exam were very obscure and relating to old technologies like Windows 98 that are irrelevant nowadays unless your name is @SimpleSi :P

If I had to pay for it then I probably wouldn't have done it. When I mention it to employers and schools they've never heard of it and don't understand what it is.

Nevermind

Thank Post
    i got my A+ a while back and work were ment to pay for my network+ and server+ but funding got pulled so never completed the set.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yep, that's what I was referring to... Thankfully mine is the life long type!

I am A+ certified and it was well worth taking as it is an industry-recognised qualification that shows a minimum level of competency in key areas. I think what @witch might be referring to is the fact that previously (when I took it), once you passed the exam you were qualified for life. Now they have changed it so that it is only valid for 3 years. Well worth doing if you're starting out in IT though as it can mean the difference between getting a job and not getting it based on 'lack of experience'. Although once you have a few years experience under your belt, this will count for more than the CompTIA as it is more relevant and current to roles you are applying for. That being said, it can also mean a massive step up if you want to go from 'support technician' to 'Network management' to get the networking qualification as support technician experience won't necessarily help you make that leap.

So ultimately I guess it depends on whether you are wanting to prove existing experience, or prove skills beyond current job role.

Thank Post
    I am since 2010

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Not me @Little-Miss ! Check out the BETT pics and you will be able to tell the difference!!
    Yeah, sorry, my bad. I've still got snow in my eyes ;-P Just got back from a ski-ing holiday and still in dipstick holiday mode . I even quoted the right post....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
    It was interesting, especially the "dirty keyboards go in dishwasher" question, although I personally wouldn't have said that WAS the correct answer in a first line support scenario. More "change the unit for a spare to enable the user, and then engage in repairing the old one".

Yes, I'm quite serious. That was in it. It made me chuckle.
    LogiLink Flexible Waterproof Keyboard with USB and PS/2 - Black : Logotron are you sure you cant put it in the dishwasher?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12