+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, US School Contemplates Taking Ownership Of Copyright Of Staff/Student Created Work in General; Link: Prince George's considers copyright policy that takes ownership of students' work - The Washington Post A proposal by the ...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 814 Posts
    Blog Entries

US School Contemplates Taking Ownership Of Copyright Of Staff/Student Created Work

Link: Prince George's considers copyright policy that takes ownership of students' work - The Washington Post

A proposal by the Prince George’s County Board of Education to copyright work created by staff and students for school could mean that a picture drawn by a first-grader, a lesson plan developed by a teacher or an app created by a teen would belong to the school system, not the individual...
    Doesn't seem like education to me. Perhaps somewhat akin to exploitation?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Doesn't seem like education to me. Perhaps somewhat akin to exploitation?
    It depends upon what they do with it - if they license the work under CC or similar it could be a very good thing. Imagine if all work in schools (paid for by the government) were available to all other schools. It would essentially make sharing compulsory and all the good teachers would get a name for themselves because creative commons means the author is recognised. It could of course be handled very badly as well.

3. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

DaveP (4th February 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    ...It could of course be handled very badly as well.
    That was how I was looking at it [how I would expect it to pan out if it were adopted]

My co-workers on the network are always telling me to take off my black hat [6 Hats Thinking is big here]

Thank Post
    Not that different to contracts most people sign with commercial companies. In matter of fact I had to sign a waiver for any copyright/patent that I develop while employed by my current school. The contracts worded so that it does financially benefit both parties (we both get a cut of any profits, and they have to stump up any legal fees required to patent/copyright any works etc) but certainly one reason why I'm not rushing out to develop any ideas I may or may not have during this employment

Thank Post
    Not uncommon in Higher Education, we had it when I was at Uni 92-96...

Rob

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    Not uncommon in Higher Education, we had it when I was at Uni 92-96...

Rob
    Not me. My final year project was my own as was any work done in my first and second year.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,785 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It is uncommon within undergrad study, that's for sure, as students are paying to be at the universities, so they have no claim whatsoever to anything you produce whilst there.

Post-grad may be different, depending on how the individual is funded. However, the thing that got me in trouble years ago was when I protested against the privatisation of post-grad funding, meaning the funders get control. Some universities have looked at introducing this, but it still uncommon in the UK. It is quite common in the rest of the world though. Also it is common for any university who does "research" outside the post-grad type.

Introducing this in the pre-university education system sounds like a disaster waiting to happen to me. Not to mention, it wouldn't be legally enforceable, as a child is unable to sign a contract when entering the system (a system they are legally required to do so, unless alternate provision can be provided) as they are unable to understand its meaning. Forcing a child to enter such a system and then forcing them to give up copyright is tantamount to child exploitation or slavery, and with a simple reading of the US Constitution would soon be ruled as unconstitutional IMO. (The thirteenth amendment to be precise).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 759 Posts
    At both my current and previous school, this is in our contract.

In the case of staff, this shouldn't be even remotely surprising. The school is paying you to do work, they have every right to claim ownership. If you worked for a company as a programmer, the work you do is theirs. Why should lesson plans be any different?

I agree it is a bit odd in the case of students, though it was the case during my undergrad. Not that I care. My alma mater is welcome to my crappy final year project; I look back at it now and wonder how the hell I got the grade I did!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread