+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Rcommend me a ADSL WIFI Router in General; My father-in-law's DLink went pop at the weekend - literally. First time I'd seen one die and go smoky! So ...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries

Rcommend me a ADSL WIFI Router

My father-in-law's DLink went pop at the weekend - literally. First time I'd seen one die and go smoky!

So now we need a new ADSL wifi router. Any recommendations? I was thinking of something like this for him:

Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit ADSL2+ Modem Router: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Feedback or other recommendations much appreciated!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Don't know what their specific offerings are at the moment, but I swear by Zyxel gear now. I've had 2 (one ADSL2+ and one 'Cable') and both have been solid as a rock. The ADSL2+ one has been in use for a good 5 or so years now and hasn't faltered.

I personally wouldn't touch netgear home gear with a barge pole after I had one melt on me.

3. Thanks to localzuk from:

tech_guy (4th February 2013)

Thank Post
    Not cheap, but I am a huge fan of DrayTek products

5. Thanks to Danp from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Danp View Post
    Not cheap, but I am a huge fan of DrayTek products
    I've always recommended these and bought a couple as a short term standby to replace some dead Buffalo units when I first started here. I was having problems with wifi dead spots and suspected that the various APs were interfering with each other. Having run wifi analyser on an Android phone, I discovered that when the Draytek was set to channel 6, it was swamping everything from channel 3 to 9. This might explain the excellent connection I was getting to that device, but not helpful if you're trying to balance across different channels. If he's only going to have the one AP, this probably won't matter for him.

7. Thanks to jmak from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jmak View Post
    I've always recommended these and bought a couple as a short term standby to replace some dead Buffalo units when I first started here. I was having problems with wifi dead spots and suspected that the various APs were interfering with each other. Having run wifi analyser on an Android phone, I discovered that when the Draytek was set to channel 6, it was swamping everything from channel 3 to 9. This might explain the excellent connection I was getting to that device, but not helpful if you're trying to balance across different channels. If he's only going to have the one AP, this probably won't matter for him.
    I have to say, I have only run them at home (and family) so single channel has been fine for my needs. Some of the school's external buildings have DrayTek routers and have been rock solid, over 3 years with no crashing, need to restart like other models have needed.

9. Thanks to Danp from:

Thank Post
    Tp-Link N300 modem/routers are pretty good

11. Thanks to HaleStorm from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,675 Times in 2,269 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jmak View Post
    Sounds like it was running 'super g' or multichannel n for additional bandwidth, that kind of thing does not make it past radio certification, one of the few standards they are forced to conform to.

I'd go draytek too, wouldn't touch net gear, dynalink, dlink, sure com or tp-link. The last two are basicly the same and can either be OK, rubbish or catch fire like a sony powered dell laptop and take everything else with them.

Cisco can also be decent, the proper stuff and I have never had a Linksys catch fire.

13. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    <SNIP>

Cisco can also be decent, the proper stuff and I have never had a Linksys catch fire.
    FWIW

Up until Virgin gave me my 'Super Hub', I'd always run Linksys routers, AP's and switches at home and recommended them to customers when I was working privately. Never any problems. They're still my preference.

15. Thanks to Earthling from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,675 Times in 2,269 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    FWIW

Up until Virgin gave me my 'Super Hub', I'd always run Linksys routers, AP's and switches at home and recommended them to customers when I was working privately. Never any problems. They're still my preference.
    Yea, despite the way it sounded it was a complement, seem to burn out after about a year here though, dodgy lines and the like.

17. Thanks to SYNACK from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread