+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Laser Eye Surgery in General; Hiya, Anybody ever had laser eye surgery? Im considering getting it done. My eyes have deteriarated dramatically since getting into ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Laser Eye Surgery

Hiya,

Anybody ever had laser eye surgery? Im considering getting it done. My eyes have deteriarated dramatically since getting into my IT career, and im quite blind in the one eye (cant see things in it unless they are very very close to the eye) apparently the opticians have said there is nothing wrong with the actual eye, its something to do with how the brain didnt develop when I was a child! (Doesnt bode well does it!) lol

Not sure if they would give it to me as I only have 1 good eye, so imagine if something went wrong :/

Thank Post
    I've had it done. Beware of the cost though, the worse your eye sight is the more it will cost. The whole £395 an eye is seemingly the minority of people. I paid more due to one of my eyes not being perfectly spherical so I had to have Lasek not epi-Lasek which is more expensive, more painful and has a longer healing time.

Having said that, it was well worth it and 7 years on I still have perfect vision.

You can go and get a free no obligation check and they can price it up for you from there. They may even tell you they can't help depending on how bad your eye actually is.
    Last edited by RTFM; 4th February 2013 at 02:05 PM.

Thank Post
    I would love to have it done, but the process does scare me. I am a little screamish about my eyes, used to take me 30 mins some mornings to fit my contacts.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Im getting to the point now where I cant see things on the tele, just placed the old 15' TV with a 27inch in the bedroom and thats still quite bad! :S How do they do it? Knock you out? hold you eye open? how bad is the pain? My headaches are getting worse too with the eye strain!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I want laser eyes !!!! that would be SO cool. where do you get it done?

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I had my left eye done last year free of charge on the A46 coming home late one night - by some chav with a laserpen......

;-/

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Laser Eye Surgery-superman-laser-eyes-chrisreeve.jpg Is it a bird....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoseley View Post
    Im getting to the point now where I cant see things on the tele, just placed the old 15' TV with a 27inch in the bedroom and thats still quite bad! :S How do they do it? Knock you out? hold you eye open? how bad is the pain? My headaches are getting worse too with the eye strain!!
    Your fully conscious for the procedure (at least, I was).

I can only speak from my own experience, and this was 7 / 8 years ago.

Essentially they did all their tests etc, suggested my treatment and booked me in. They put some drops in to numb your eye, you lay down, they hold your eye open with a clamp and then take the top layer of cells off your eye with a blade (you can see this happening but cant feel a thing) then a laser tracks your eye and does its job. They repeat this on the other eye.

You feel fine for a bit after then the drops they numbed you with wears off and you'll feel the worst pain in the world for the next 8 - 10 hours. Even the slightest light will burn (even with your eyes closed). Next day you'll be a bit better but will have to have sunglasses on even inside with the curtains closed (at least i did). It'll gradually get better until day 4 when you are fine and hopefully have better vision.

There are some side effects, I am now sensitive to bright light more than I used to be and they say you can get dry eyes quite easily. I dont suffer from this but my wife does and she had the same procedure to me just 2 weeks later.
    Last edited by RTFM; 4th February 2013 at 02:19 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I would be very very interested to see if they can fix my really really bad eye but I doubt they can, I may book to get a consultation, if its a fre one then I have nothing to loose...I dont like the idea of it all but if I can see much much better then its a win situation!

Thank Post
    I would be very very interested to see if they can fix my really really bad eye but I doubt they can, I may book to get a consultation, if its a fre one then I have nothing to loose...I dont like the idea of it all but if I can see much much better then its a win situation!
    They need to do an initial consultation before they can give you a price for it anyway so I can't believe it isnt a free no obligation one

I also forgot, one of the worst parts for me was when they removed my plastic lens cap. My cells had attached to the cap so when they removed it it took some of my new regrown cells with it so i had to have another put back. That wasnt too nice :\ lol

Thank Post
    One of our receptionists had it done, and she has beautifully clear eyes. Not that I've looked that closely, you understand.

She said the only thing she wasn't prepared for and didn't like was the smell of burning.

Obviously, the word 'laser' didn't give her a clue.

I've considered it many times, one day I'll get round to having a consultation.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Do you think overall it was worth it? Yeah that doesnt sound nice, but if it was 7/8 years ago, hopefully the technology and technique has moved on a bit!... Hopefully lol

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    She said the only thing she wasn't prepared for and didn't like was the smell of burning.
    Yeah it smells like burning hair

Thank Post
    Do you think overall it was worth it? Yeah that doesnt sound nice, but if it was 7/8 years ago, hopefully the technology and technique has moved on a bit!... Hopefully lol
    I'd do it all again yes, i have perfect vision now

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have an imagine in my head...I can just imagine moving my eye and being blinded!! lol :/ Ive read that if you only got one good eye, they are very reluctant to do it incase anything goes wrong.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast