+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, What phone would you get? in General; This time two years ago I was debating what phone to change to, from my Sim only tariff I signed ...
    rad
    Thank Post

What phone would you get?

This time two years ago I was debating what phone to change to, from my Sim only tariff I signed up to 2 years using an Android HTC Desire. Things started ok, phone had to be sent off after randomly loosing signal. Things were fine and the occasional restart occurred, the constant "Not enough memory" happened so I reset to factory settings. Now its back to its usual tricks.

So what phone would do you guys recommend? Android, Windows or Apple.

I dont mind but I want one that I am not going to want to throw on the floor in frustration, like my colleague did with a Samsung Galaxy

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Personally, I'd got for an S3 [or a Galaxy Tab if you want something bigger]

I have an S3 for work and I love it.

Thank Post
    Hold out a few weeks and go for the HTC M7 Android.

Quad-core Qualcomm processor (predictably), a 4.7-inch 1920 x 1080 (full HD) display, 32GB of internal storage, 2GB of RAM, a 13-megapixel rear camera, and 2-megapixel front-facing camera.

Thank Post
    I'll be moving from the Desire S in few months - the S3 is certainly #1 on my list at the moment!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you need one now, I'd get a cheap Android and wait. There's going to be a lot of new stuff coming out very soon, see how it pans out.

Tizen is going to be big. Be in no doubt Samsung is going to throw a huge amount of weight and money into Tizen.
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-575...le-wars-tizen/

The Firefox phone is due in the next few months, this should be very good.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/firef...r-phone-2013-1

Also, the Ubuntu phone is due, but not for a while. This has my favourite interface, but I'm odd in that I love Unity.
    http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone

The new Blackberry models are getting very good reviews.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 4th February 2013 at 01:47 PM.

Thank Post
    I have a Nexus here, not the Nexus 4 though. The original one, the £600 (Price when originally released) beast! I didn't pay that for it though! xD

It's the best phone I've EVER owned and I've had the general big guns, iPhone, S2... My boss has the S3 and thinks it's too "Plastic Feeling" for such a high end phone. But it's a personal preference I suppose.

I don't plan on changing my phone any time soon either. So I recommend a Nexus.

Thank Post
    I'd avoid HTC's Android offerings, They usually get one update which is very delayed and then are considered old hat. The One X for example is only just getting JB where as the Samsung S3 has had it for quite a while and the Sensation which was the previous flagship is not going to get jb whereas Samsungs S2 does get it. All in all if going Android go for the Nexus or Samsung. I'm quite tempted by a Lumia 920 when its time to upgrade.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Windows phone 8, the Nokia 920 or even the 820, great phones that get stuff done with out all the hassle. Not as high a spec as some of the others CPU wise but it does not need it as it is really smooth and has longer battery life because of it.

The OS does the handles all the linking together of everything from everywhere, calanders, contacts, birthdays, photos etc. all tied into the people.

You don't need an app for every little thing, the raw is can Facebook message, tweet, summarise updates from all sorts of data sources. The apps for stuff like Facebook still exist if you want though, oh, and they aren't filled with wall to wall apps - you don't even need a custom ROM to manage it.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 4th February 2013 at 12:28 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post
    This time two years ago I was debating what phone to change to, from my Sim only tariff I signed up to 2 years using an Android HTC Desire. Things started ok, phone had to be sent off after randomly loosing signal. Things were fine and the occasional restart occurred, the constant "Not enough memory" happened so I reset to factory settings. Now its back to its usual tricks.

I dont mind but I want one that I am not going to want to throw on the floor in frustration, like my colleague did with a Samsung Galaxy

I'd suggest the Nexus 4. The phone is by far the cheapest sim-free handset (you can get the 8gb model from google for £240), and it's probably one of the most powerful phones on the market at the moment too. If you get a GiffGaff contract (£12/month for unlimited internet, unlimited texts, 200 minutes) it works out way cheaper to get the N4 than pretty much any other smartphone of equivalent power on the market at the moment.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Windows phone 8, the Nokia 920 or even the 820, great phones that get stuff done with out all the hassle. Not as high a spec as some of the others CPU wise but it does not need it as it is really smooth and has longer battery life because of it.
    I agree, I was blown away by how responsive the Windows phones felt for the meagre hardware specs compared to the Android equivelents when testing them in the phone shops.

Thank Post
    Windows Phone 8 is fantastic.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdrawkcab View Post
    I'd suggest the Nexus 4. The phone is by far the cheapest sim-free handset (you can get the 8gb model from google for £240), and it's probably one of the most powerful phones on the market at the moment too. If you get a GiffGaff contract (£12/month for unlimited internet, unlimited texts, 200 minutes) it works out way cheaper to get the N4 than pretty much any other smartphone of equivalent power on the market at the moment.
    I'd big up the GIFF-GAFF sim.

Thank Post
    I went for the Samsung Ativ S (Windows 8) Phone.

While it's larger than my old HTC Trophy, it doesn't feel out of place in my hand, and most importantly, will let me add memory via micro-SD

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danp View Post
    Hold out a few weeks and go for the HTC M7 Android.

Quad-core Qualcomm processor (predictably), a 4.7-inch 1920 x 1080 (full HD) display, 32GB of internal storage, 2GB of RAM, a 13-megapixel rear camera, and 2-megapixel front-facing camera.
    That thing is going to suck power like a laser printer. I'd be amazed if I'd get half a day from it.

I've decided to switch from my contract to a sim only contract at the moment - my Desire HD is doing me fine at the moment and none of the offerings are jumping out at me as amazing. So, I'm gonna stick the £30 a month I'll be saving in a drawer and use that to buy one outright when I spot one that I do want.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post

I still like my Apple phone... At the end of the day though its a personal decision, whatever feels nice in your hand and whose interface makes the most sense to you. Oh and if you've invested a lot of money into apps on Android, that has to be taken into account too.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast