+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Advice wanted for using a tablet in USA in General; Hello folks, My sister (who's not very tech savvy), will be going to San Diego in 5 weeks for a ...
    Thank Post

Advice wanted for using a tablet in USA

Hello folks,

My sister (who's not very tech savvy), will be going to San Diego in 5 weeks for a fortnight. She fancies taking a tablet and is also looking for a new phone. I've advised her already to get a Nexus 7 and a decent android smartphone. I've never been to the USA, and don't really know anyone who's been with a tablet. She'd like to stay connected while she's out and about - says she'll be doing some travelling while she's there - and keep herself entertained with movies, books & music.

I thought an N7 combined with an Android phone would be the perfect combo - she could tether the N7 to the phone. I also thought buying a PAYG SIM out in America would be a good idea too, and cheaper.

Was this good advice, or does anyone know better?

Thanks!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We know from our experiences that unless you are a US citizen, you cannot buy a PAYG SIM in the US. Unfortunately they are not as free as we are over here with selling SIMS for short term use. We rely on the vast amount of free hotspots that are available in hotels and coffee shops when we are over there.
    I'd like to be proven wrong with this, but we haven't yet found any when we go out there each year.
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 1st February 2013 at 02:50 PM.

3. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

Gerry (1st February 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,004 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    I'd like to be proven wrong with this, but we haven't yet found any when we go out there each year.
    I think you can easily buy prepaid SIM cards from T-Mobile and Straight Talk in the US. e.g.

T-Mobile: Pay Per Day / Pay As You Go
    Straight Talk: Pay Per Month

It looks like you can get them in Walmart too.

5. Thanks to Arthur from:

Gerry (4th February 2013)

Thank Post
    @Gerry. You might be better off with a 3G Nexus 7 due to the Bluetooth tethering bug in Android 4.2 on the Nexus 7...

code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=39637

Also, if you don't mind rooting the tablet you can send text messages on it too.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    @Gerry. You might be better off with a 3G Nexus 7 due to the Bluetooth tethering bug in Android 4.2 on the Nexus 7...

code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=39637

Also, if you don't mind rooting the tablet you can send text messages on it too.
    To be fair Android 4.2 on the Nexus 7 should really be called Android ME given the state of it, if you do get a Nexus 7 DO NOT upgrade it to 4.2, it is a bit lacklustre with 4.1 but at least it basically works.

Thank Post
    Really how comes? It works fine for me!

Thank Post
    I suppose one good thing about Nexus devices is that it's easy to revert to a previous version of the OS (although the 3G N7 is stuck with 4.2.1 for the time being).

You're right that it should be called Android ME though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    See this thread.
    Last edited by Arthur; 3rd February 2013 at 03:11 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    Going off topic again, I've had two and the replacement has been worse than the first, the new one glitches out the screen while web browsing. Both have slowed and choked out slowly after 4.2, taking ten seconds or so on occasion to display any icons on the home screen, randomly killing applications without cause, charging slower than power usage (not always but sometimes). Battery life of 4 hours with the screen off and no apps running...

I'm just going to keep returning them till I get one that actually works as some people claim they can, I have yet to see one manage it though.

Thank Post
    Think I'll wait a bit before getting one for myself then!

Sister went and bought a Kindle anyway - she typically leaves things last-minute. Shops were out of stock, and she didn't have time to wait for delivery. She wasn't leaving in 5 weeks, more like 5 days!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    I think you can easily buy prepaid SIM cards from T-Mobile and Straight Talk in the US. e.g.

T-Mobile: Pay Per Day / Pay As You Go
    Straight Talk: Pay Per Month

It looks like you can get them in Walmart too.

Yes, you can get them readily enough, but you have to be a US citizen to purchase them and you have to give your details when doing so IIRC. Just like buying a new TV over here.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Going off topic again, I've had two and the replacement has been worse than the first, the new one glitches out the screen while web browsing. Both have slowed and choked out slowly after 4.2, taking ten seconds or so on occasion to display any icons on the home screen, randomly killing applications without cause, charging slower than power usage (not always but sometimes). Battery life of 4 hours with the screen off and no apps running...

I'm just going to keep returning them till I get one that actually works as some people claim they can, I have yet to see one manage it though.
    Bizarre - still pleased with mine, working nicely no problems apart from the screen flicker on low brightness, but it doesn't bother me.

Used the WiFi Hotspot App on my Android phone to browse the internet on the Nexus 7 while on the train to BETT last week, worked well.

Last time we were out in the USA we managed to get hold of some pre-paid SIMS cards so my wife and I could call each other if we got seperated. For data we just used hotspots, we used to just drive into a McDonalds car park, jump onto their Hotspot so I could update the Google Maps on my phone and then use the GPS Navigation to get where we needed too; as long as you stayed on the correct road it didn't require any more data. Google Navigation has since enabled the feature being able to downloa an area to your device locally - my Nexus is going to be used heavily on our next trip in 6 weeks time!!

Pete

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread