+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Professional Twitter account in General; I dont know, I am back on facebook for the time being, pretty much because the wife is expecting any ...
    Thank Post
    I dont know,

I am back on facebook for the time being, pretty much because the wife is expecting any day now, but when the babys here, I think ill leave the site again, I think its absolute spam filled ca*k in all honesty, I dont have people who I work with on my friends list on facebook and that is the way that it will stay with me, my profile is pretty much locked down, I dont allow any apps on there and only friends of friends can actually search for me on there, working in a school made me v. security concious with my online data really.

Twitter is personal all the way with me, I tend to follow a lot of people that I dont know (few exceptions for RL people) but find funny/interesting or amusing really, I am quite restrained in my use of social media though I believe too, nothings on a feed with me that I would be overly embarassed about

Google+ I like the look of this and its growing, nice to see a media site that turns everything off at default and puts you in charge of sorting your security out.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    .................................................. .................BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Thank Post
    I tend to keep Facebook/Twitter/G+ as the personal accounts (not discoverable via Google/etc and/or no real names, posts restricted to friends only, etc), and LinkedIn is the "professional" one which is more easily findable and the content is more work appropriate...

I couldn't see the point of creating and managing two facebook/twitter accounts, esp since i forget to use them so much of the time anyway

Thank Post
    Facebook for personal use and Twitter for professional use.

Thank Post
    I have one Twitter account for both personal and professional. It's not a professional Twitter name but it's not offensive either and my real name is displayed on my profile. At the end of the day, it's me. I don't need two versions of me.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I pondered making a professional Twitter account but realised I'd just desert it and post everything on my aliased personal account anyway. G+ is real name though so I am more careful with that, but post far less often.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WithoutMotive View Post
    I have one Twitter account for both personal and professional. It's not a professional Twitter name but it's not offensive either and my real name is displayed on my profile. At the end of the day, it's me. I don't need two versions of me.
    Same here!! lol!!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    Same here!! lol!!!!
    Your Twitter name would upset most web filters

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    haha!!

Yeah, proceed with caution...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,888 Times in 1,169 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I use my main twitter account for professional and personal stuff, but like most things I do I try to keep my personal life up to the same professional standard anyway. When you are friends with many people you know professionally it is hard, at times, to separate when you are having a personal conversation and a professional one ... they tend to merge.

I have recently done some training with the local police around this, as part of their CPD about balancing personal and professional life. I think some of this depends on the job you do and you have to deal with it accordingly, but inappropriate use can have a major impact when you try to get other work and can even affect whether the company you work for gets work as well ... you don't just lower your reputation but that of your employer as well.

I do have a private account on twitter and I am fairly choosey about who I let see that ... I do cull on there every so often but that is mainly where I might mention if I am doing things out of the area, and there is almost certainly nothing work related on there.

I have 2 other feeds ... one that I have previously used when attending conferences ... as I had my tweets being fed into an archive engine and I was using it as a form of note taking ... fun, but a bit of a faff to get going. The other one is where I tend to follow businesses / tweeple who only broadcast. I dip into it every so often just to see what is going on, but if you get moved onto that account you know that the person / account is a broadcaster, doesn't interact or respond to tweets back or is just not worth the precious space on my regular followers list.

Thank Post
    [QUOTE=GrumbleDook;936230] I do have a private account on twitter and I am fairly choosey about who I let see that ... I do cull on there every so often but that is mainly where I might mention if I am doing things out of the area, and there is almost certainly nothing work related on there. [QUOTE]

Before I set up my professional I was very choosy with my personal account and only let people follow me that I knew/met. I still do this but my professional one anyone can follow me.

Ive still not posted much on the professional one but ill be getting there.

Thank Post
    I have two twitter accounts. I hope I've managed to keep both professional. I tweet under this name in relation to education, technology and esafety, and under my real name for tweets about food, family, dogs and the like.

My work related account (although it is not affiliated to any place of work) has far more followers than my personal one. However the people that follow me professionally are probably not all that interested in my personal life, and vice versa.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,645 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I do everything with one to be honest. I don't post things about food etc... anyway, I mostly stick to:

IT
    Politics
    Gaming
    Education

That's about it. Thing is, I use this same nom de plume everywhere, so people know me as it.

Thank Post
    I've always considered that Facebook was for people I know, and Twitter was for people I didn't (e.g. stalking celebs, general football banter etc). But I've just taken the plunge and created a work-based Twitter account @primaryicttech. I've followed a few people off this thread, feel free to follow me ... I'm an egg at the moment, though not for long.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12