+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Australia... in General; Spent six months in aussie in the late eighties - often wish I'd never come home. Northern Queensland was the ...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Australia...

Spent six months in aussie in the late eighties - often wish I'd never come home. Northern Queensland was the best place ever.

Thank Post

As an ex-pat be prepared for a very slow pace of life. Sitting on the beach everyday after work all sounds very wonderful, but believe me it gets boring after 10 years.

Remember distances are huge; it's quite easy to pop over to Paris for a weekend. It's not that easy in Oz, unless you are prepared to fly every where. When I fly home, and you cross the Northern Australian coast, your first reaction is "Ah nearly there". Nup! You've still got 6 or 7 hours to go. Driving the very long distances is boring and damned uncomfortable.

On the plus side, petrol is way cheaper, food is generally of better quality, the sky is higher and the climate brilliant.

Depending on where you live, IT jobs are quite sparse. I'd love to go back, but I doubt that I could get a job unless I lived interstate from by home city. If I have to do that, I might just as well work here.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by unixman
    As an ex-pat be prepared for a very slow pace of life. Sitting on the beach everyday after work all sounds very wonderful, but believe me it gets boring after 10 years.
    That depends on what you are looking for in life though doesn't it?

Remember distances are huge; it's quite easy to pop over to Paris for a weekend. It's not that easy in Oz, unless you are prepared to fly every where. When I fly home, and you cross the Northern Australian coast, your first reaction is "Ah nearly there". Nup! You've still got 6 or 7 hours to go. Driving the very long distances is boring and damned uncomfortable.
    I am very used to travelling for 12 or more hours to visit family, so that isn't a problem.

And isn't the comfort of the drive down to the car?

Depending on where you live, IT jobs are quite sparse. I'd love to go back, but I doubt that I could get a job unless I lived interstate from by home city. If I have to do that, I might just as well work here.
    I'd be looking at living in Sydney or one of the other major cities (melbourne etc...).

Thank Post

I was in Oz about 10 weeks ago in Queensland ( The Smart State ) and from what I found there were plently of vacancies in IT, but if you live further out of the city jobs will be harder to come by bit like the UK really if you live on the M4 corridor there is alot of work come down here to Cornwall and its a different matter.

I think its worth for the quality of life I mean when ( and if) I get to Oz I can afford to buy a house cash, in the UK I'll a mortgage till I'm nearly 60

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by eduabncs
    Lol...no point worries for me....I have an Oz passport, so no worries there.

NZ...It's Oz 20 years ago! *Ducks and waits for incoming Anchor Butter!*

A word of warning though.. Although on the surface Australia and New Zealand appear to be similar to the UK they are not. They are both very different society's to the UK and the lifestyle etc. is different. And it is that that catches a lot of British immigrants out...the work ethic etc. is different for example. You work hard while at work, but once home the lifestyle in oz at least is outside and relaxed. If you have kids of 10 or younger they will take to it all likes ducks to water, older kids and adults find it harder to adjust to the changes in my experience. However lput the effort in to make firends etc and you will soon be rewarded with invites to BBQ's and other events and it is then that you will start to enjoy the Oz lifestyle.

Also another word of warning you'll be ribbed mercilessly everywhere as being the pommie!!
    I used to live in a country with lots of Sunshine and golden beaches..... but man was i bored.. no culture mate.... apart from the beach.. and the beach... and the errr beach... Zzzzzzzzzzzz

Quote Originally Posted by eduabncs
    you will soon be rewarded with invites to BBQ's and other events and it is then that you will start to enjoy the Oz lifestyle.
    OMG if thats all there is to look forward too and is your aspiration well I would rather poke myself in the eye with a blunt knitting needle...

"Aspire to be invited to a BBQ"... ROFLMAO

i have friends in Aussie land and they might as wll be dead... it's on the wrong side of the planet and a massive mission to get any where..

And when we try to speak to them it's the wrong time and visa versa..

When I get that evening chatty buzz I can phone my mates here and chat.. try there and they are in early moring wake up mode and not very chatty... same with them when they are in the evening chatty vibe.....

calls got less and less and haven't heard from them in nearly a year..

Maybe they got lucky and got invited to a BBQ

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries

That sounds good to me. Add in the fact that there is miles of coast to explore, huge expanses of land also and it sounds like an ideal place to me...

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk
    That sounds good to me. Add in the fact that there is miles of coast to explore, huge expanses of land also and it sounds like an ideal place to me...
    Cool... bye bye then..... enjoy the vast wilderness...

Thank Post

Its always amusing seeing how the rest of the world looks at us... have to say tho, what does Fosters Beer, Home & Away and Neighbours have in common? they're all exports since no-one here actually likes them

In terms of IT Jobs, its pretty much the same as everywhere: experience speaks for more than qualifications... although that being said and done, most places seem to like you to have a uni degree in something, even if its not necessarily in an IT area.

I'd look at Perth would probably be my first suggestion of where to start off, as its a state capital that is growing fairly well and there are quite a few ISPs based there. Sydney and Melbourne are fairly saturated in terms of population, not sure about Brisbane... Darwin and Tasmania are holes... Adelaide is growing too, just not quite in the same way as Perth...

Hope this helps

Thank Post

Right Perth... full of South Africans.. a population of only 1.5 million... eek ..

Perth is one of the most isolated metropolitan areas on Earth. The nearest city to Perth with a population over 1 million is Adelaide in South Australia, which is 2,724 kilometres (1,707 mi) away....

Perth is physically closer to East Timor and Jakarta, Indonesia, than it is to Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane

and it's 3452 km to Melbourne and 4144 km to Sydney ...

Thank Post

Yes, but as i said in the earlier post, Perth is where a lot of ISPs are based, because thats where a lot of the Internet lines into Australia come into... And as it only has a population of its 1.5mill (curious where u got the stats from), means more options in terms of employment compared to sydney with its considerably higher population... not to mention the severe shortage and high expense of properties to rent/buy in Sydney at the moment...

Why go where more people are trying to find fewer available positions, when you can go to somewhere that has more jobs available and less people trying to get them?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by OutLawTorn
    Yes, but as i said in the earlier post, Perth is where a lot of ISPs are based, because thats where a lot of the Internet lines into Australia come into... And as it only has a population of its 1.5mill (curious where u got the stats from), means more options in terms of employment compared to sydney with its considerably higher population... not to mention the severe shortage and high expense of properties to rent/buy in Sydney at the moment...

Why go where more people are trying to find fewer available positions, when you can go to somewhere that has more jobs available and less people trying to get them?
    The stats are from the the official Perth Web site as well as Wiki..

Anyway.... houses are gheap in the Shetland Islands..... why ?!? because it's in the middle of know-where.. same as in Poland.. and Russian..

Houses are always cheaper the more remote the place is... but the question is... cna you handle being in the middle of know-where for the rest of your life ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grommit
    Houses are always cheaper the more remote the place is... but the question is... cna you handle being in the middle of know-where for the rest of your life ?
    Yes. I know I could I'm an unsocial bugger at times 8)

But Oz is too big for me, NZ all the way!

Thank Post

Well I guess everyone is entitled to their own happyness. I think Australia will give me that, I did consider New Zealand as I have family there,

Many people from overseas think the UK is the land of milk and honey maybe its down to the benifits system and NHS. Who knows all I can say is I have lived in the UK 42 odd years now and I walk down the street and its not what I want for me or my family anymore.

Just hope my application doen't fail at this late stage [-X

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries

I spent my entire adult life (until a few years ago) living and working all over the world. From Belize to the middle east and every European country I still settled back home. As has been said earlier, the grass is not always greener. The exotic soon becomes the norm, and little things from home (like frost and snow!) become things that you long for.
    I do however look towards NZ as a place I'd rather like to bring up my kids.
    Strangely enough, one comment I haver heard alot from ex-pats settling down under is that they miss being in the thick of things and that nother much ever happens where they are!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries

When I met up with my brother at the beginning of the summer he spent his usually 20 mins trying to persuade me to go over to visit as he believes that Me and my better half would love it and never look back.

Personally, I think there are still too many things in the UK I haven't seen or done to say that other countries are better than here.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast