+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
General Chat Thread, youtube to possiblly start charging pay per view? in General; Just been reading an artical on the register about youtubes' plans to start charging for some channels/content. it had to ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    244
    Thank Post
    5
    Thanked 27 Times in 24 Posts
    Rep Power
    20

    youtube to possiblly start charging pay per view?

    Just been reading an artical on the register about youtubes' plans to start charging for some channels/content. it had to happen really.

    I can see some upset teachers in the not to distant future "why cant i get video 'x' for free" i use to be able too......

    what do people think?

  2. #2


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.403651, -0.515458
    Posts
    9,388
    Thank Post
    241
    Thanked 2,815 Times in 2,077 Posts
    Rep Power
    813
    It shouldn't affect us since most paid channels will probably be US-only.

  3. #3
    Guest

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,754
    Thank Post
    1,458
    Thanked 491 Times in 375 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    It shouldn't affect us since most paid channels will probably be US-only.
    As most channels have their own On Demand services and apps, I doubt any of the main channels will be covered in this.

  4. #4
    BassTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    496
    Thank Post
    54
    Thanked 32 Times in 25 Posts
    Rep Power
    24
    It goes against what the internet stands for, the adverts are bad enough!

  5. #5
    rich_tech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    1,113
    Thank Post
    133
    Thanked 142 Times in 123 Posts
    Rep Power
    66
    dont personally think its a bad thing or a good thing, youtube has gone too much on the adverts lately I think though, might help filter the ca*k on there if anything, so its possibly good.

    When you want to view a video of an artist for example its v. frustrating to find a link and then have a badly done cover of some tone deaf halfwit using a webcam thinking hes going to be a star instead of the real thing your looking for.

  6. #6
    Pyroman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,248
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 153 Times in 112 Posts
    Rep Power
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_tech View Post
    dont personally think its a bad thing or a good thing, youtube has gone too much on the adverts lately I think though, might help filter the ca*k on there if anything, so its possibly good.

    When you want to view a video of an artist for example its v. frustrating to find a link and then have a badly done cover of some tone deaf halfwit using a webcam thinking hes going to be a star instead of the real thing your looking for.
    "The Ca*k" as you call it is the whole point of youtube, people being able to freely upload whatever they want to a system where the whole world can be the audience, in fact that's the whole point of the internet IMO

  7. #7
    rich_tech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    1,113
    Thank Post
    133
    Thanked 142 Times in 123 Posts
    Rep Power
    66
    thats fair enough, it is a bit of a personal pet hate of mine when your trying to find a specific music video though and keep getting peoples often badly made alternatives

  8. #8


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,414
    Thank Post
    184
    Thanked 356 Times in 285 Posts
    Rep Power
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_tech View Post
    thats fair enough, it is a bit of a personal pet hate of mine when your trying to find a specific music video though and keep getting peoples often badly made alternatives
    Mine too. It always amazes me that people post videos of them playing a £6k guitar with a £2k amp, hundreds of pounds worth of effects, and then record it on the inbuilt mic/webcam of their laptop. You'd think if they had that sort of money to spend on equipment they would know how to connect it all up to record.

  9. #9
    BassTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    496
    Thank Post
    54
    Thanked 32 Times in 25 Posts
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Mine too. It always amazes me that people post videos of them playing a £6k guitar with a £2k amp, hundreds of pounds worth of effects, and then record it on the inbuilt mic/webcam of their laptop. You'd think if they had that sort of money to spend on equipment they would know how to connect it all up to record.
    True, but I think crappily-edited videos are part of the fun of YouTube.. If everything was 1080p I don't think it would be the same somehow

  10. #10

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,239
    Thank Post
    882
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Rep Power
    784
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee91 View Post
    True, but I think crappily-edited videos are part of the fun of YouTube.. If everything was 1080p I don't think it would be the same somehow
    4k FTW :-)

  11. #11
    Sdrawkcab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    325
    Thank Post
    9
    Thanked 104 Times in 58 Posts
    Rep Power
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyroman View Post
    "The Ca*k" as you call it is the whole point of youtube, people being able to freely upload whatever they want to a system where the whole world can be the audience, in fact that's the whole point of the internet IMO
    And they still will be able to. This PPV system is aimed at allowing people to produce something like Netflix but within the Youtube ecosystem. Essentially it's another level of monetization for people who already produce Youtube content as a job (e.g. Yogscast, TotalBiscuit et al). Don't like it? Don't buy the videos.

    Honestly, it's like people make up their mind about something after reading only the headline of an article.

  12. #12


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.403651, -0.515458
    Posts
    9,388
    Thank Post
    241
    Thanked 2,815 Times in 2,077 Posts
    Rep Power
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_tech View Post
    when you're trying to find a specific music video though and keep getting peoples often badly made alternatives
    All of the good music videos are on VEVO.


  13. #13
    BassTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    496
    Thank Post
    54
    Thanked 32 Times in 25 Posts
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    All of the good music videos are on VEVO.

    VEVO is full of ads and they're all radio-edits though

  14. #14


    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,069
    Thank Post
    50
    Thanked 164 Times in 95 Posts
    Rep Power
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Mine too. It always amazes me that people post videos of them playing a £6k guitar with a £2k amp, hundreds of pounds worth of effects, and then record it on the inbuilt mic/webcam of their laptop. You'd think if they had that sort of money to spend on equipment they would know how to connect it all up to record.
    No Britney Spears is actually meant to sound like that .. oh wait you meant the amateurs.

    I dont think its a bad thing as long as people can still upload and use the free side of it to embarrass themselves, and it would be quite cool to have a PPV style of netflix.

  15. #15
    CAM
    CAM is offline

    CAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Burgh Heath, Surrey
    Posts
    4,290
    Thank Post
    869
    Thanked 395 Times in 305 Posts
    Blog Entries
    60
    Rep Power
    288
    Hmmm Bieber didn't look like that on the cover of The Metro yesterday...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14th September 2011, 10:25 PM
  2. How to get started in thin client networking?
    By hunter_alexander in forum Thin Client and Virtual Machines
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 5th August 2009, 06:56 AM
  3. Add favourites to the start menu
    By FN-GM in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 21st June 2008, 12:03 PM
  4. script needed to kick start WSUS clients
    By projector1 in forum Scripts
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12th March 2008, 09:55 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •