Poll: Should HS2 be built

+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 60 of 60
General Chat Thread, HS2 - For or against? in General; ...
  1. #46


    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,236
    Thank Post
    151
    Thanked 243 Times in 168 Posts
    Rep Power
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Ok, those saying put the money into existing infrastructure, how would you suggest that is done?

    The West Coast Main Line is almost at capacity last time I checked, for example, so improving that would mean adding more rails there instead - especially if you want to add more freight to the system. That'd cost more than HS2 anyway, due to it going through cities/built up areas where there isn't any expansion room.

    If it were put in to the motorway system etc... it has been shown that this doesn't work properly as the roads just fill up very quickly again - we need to get more people on public transport.

    So, ideas?
    Restart BSF, but do it properly this time.

    Embark on a plan to build enough homes, council and private, to finally end the housing shortage altogether, for a while, at least.

    Even £30 billion on fusion reactor R&D would be better spent than on a new railway.

    In fact, that's where I'd put it........homes, schools and fusion reactor technology.

  2. Thanks to Earthling from:

    tmcd35 (29th January 2013)

  3. #47
    zag
    zag is offline
    zag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,998
    Thank Post
    983
    Thanked 474 Times in 396 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    96
    Also its not 32 billion in one big lump sum.

    One of the reasons its going to take 20 years is that the cost is then spread out.

    We are currently paying 2 billion a year for cross rail, that will finish soon and the 2 billion a year is then simply moved on to HS2 construction.

    Basically this is cost neutral.

  4. #48


    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,236
    Thank Post
    151
    Thanked 243 Times in 168 Posts
    Rep Power
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    now i dont have the facts to prove this but i would suspect that most people who commute are going say doncaster-leeds,sheffield-leeds etc relatively short distances so hs2 will only Peripherally improve the situation for the majority of commuters anyway


    i dont get why when councils sold off housing stock they werent made to reinvest that cash in new houses from the start that should of kept house prices at reasonable levels and of averted the problems we have with lack og affordable houseing from occuring in the first place
    The money gained from sale of council stock was grabbed, don't know any other way of saying it, by central government and put into a huge 'contingency' fund. Don't know what 'contingency' they were thinking of but, if I remember rightly, it reached a high of £7 billion. Far from being made to build more, councils weren't allowed to build more, except under extenuating circumstances. I seem to recall the rise and rise of Housing Associations at the same time.

    You're right, the housing shortage in this country is deplorable, shocking and shameful. Especially as it's used primarily to keep house prices artificially at their current level.

    Now, back to the railways.

  5. #49

    CHR1S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    4,570
    Thank Post
    1,652
    Thanked 506 Times in 309 Posts
    Rep Power
    221
    What am I missing? 20 years to build a railway line?

    What developments will we see over 20 years that will undoubtedly make this obsolete?

  6. #50
    zag
    zag is offline
    zag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,998
    Thank Post
    983
    Thanked 474 Times in 396 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    96

  7. #51
    Robz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    197
    Thank Post
    143
    Thanked 36 Times in 28 Posts
    Rep Power
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    What am I missing? 20 years to build a railway line?

    What developments will we see over 20 years that will undoubtedly make this obsolete?
    teleportation or a tad more realistic telecommuting

  8. #52

    aerospacemango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    1,994
    Thank Post
    283
    Thanked 249 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    The money gained from sale of council stock was grabbed, don't know any other way of saying it, by central government and put into a huge 'contingency' fund. Don't know what 'contingency' they were thinking of but, if I remember rightly, it reached a high of £7 billion. Far from being made to build more, councils weren't allowed to build more, except under extenuating circumstances. I seem to recall the rise and rise of Housing Associations at the same time.

    You're right, the housing shortage in this country is deplorable, shocking and shameful. Especially as it's used primarily to keep house prices artificially at their current level.

    Now, back to the railways.
    Now....who would stand to gain the most from artificially high house prices?

    Why...the very same people who will run the companies that will most likely be termed "preferred bidders" in any tendering process.



    What am I missing? 20 years to build a railway line?

    What developments will we see over 20 years that will undoubtedly make this obsolete?
    HSR2 will be obsolete in 10 years....Let alone 20!

  9. #53

    LeMarchand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The deepest pits of hell
    Posts
    2,573
    Thank Post
    327
    Thanked 417 Times in 291 Posts
    Rep Power
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Yes, as you took it out of context. The context of the post was asking for elaboration on your 'cheaper, more reliable, more convenient' post. My comment there is one of 'expanding the road system is not conducive to improving travel'.
    Still confused! "we need to get more people on public transport. So, ideas?" was posted before I posted my ideas on how to get people on to public transport. I still stand by my reasoning that to get people to use public systems, that's what you need to do. I don't know how to do it, but have my reservations that the HS2 is the way.

    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I've not seen any evidence of that - no-one has published any that I've seen anyway! And the media would've usually jumped all over it.
    Sure this was mentioned on the news the other day, but as the only people a quick search threw up who backed this up appeared to be right wing US bloggers I'll have to let that one lie unless I can find something more reliable.

    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Car cost? Reasonable second hand car, £3k. Insurance? £600 a year. MOT £60 + whatever extra it costs. Tax, £150 a year. Cleaning, £30 a year if you want to look after it. Servicing, £500 a year maybe?

    So suddenly, that cost isn't so small!
    @Robz beat me to it. (Though I'd shorten the length of ownership and try to walk that distance in to town when I have time).

    Quote Originally Posted by Robz View Post
    quick calculation including cost of fuel as two grand over the year. (I divided car cost by 10 assuming you own the car for 10 years.) so £3640 total a year, divide that by 10000 miles a year = £0.364 a mile.

    It costs me £1.60 one way into town on a bus, 1.5 miles away = £1.066 a mile, so 10000 miles a year = £10666.666

    Either my maths is wrong or your argument that public transport is cheaper is wrong. I think it's the latter.

  10. #54

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,496
    Thank Post
    526
    Thanked 2,638 Times in 2,042 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    895
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    Still confused! "we need to get more people on public transport. So, ideas?" was posted before I posted my ideas on how to get people on to public transport. I still stand by my reasoning that to get people to use public systems, that's what you need to do. I don't know how to do it, but have my reservations that the HS2 is the way.
    Apologies. My mistake. However, the context is still important - we need people on public transport and people don't use it because its expensive, unreliable and inconvenient. So, the ideas part needs to counter those aspects.

  11. #55

    aerospacemango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    1,994
    Thank Post
    283
    Thanked 249 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    296
    I'd also like to point out a further problem with public transport...

    It doesn't actually GO where I want it to!

    For instance : Every day, I drive a 64 mile, round trip, to and from work. This takes me around 45-60mins each way depending on traffic.

    To make the same journey on public transport would take me 2 1/2hrs or more EACH WAY! And there's the nub.... Public transport will NEVER* be convenient!

    *Unless they build stops on EVERY street for buses, coaches and trains
    Last edited by aerospacemango; 29th January 2013 at 04:28 PM.

  12. #56

    tmcd35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    6,053
    Thank Post
    896
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 821 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    349
    Regarding getting people on public transport. I didn't learn to drive until I was in my late 20's mainly because I was living in London until my early 20's when most people learn to drive. Living in London, public transport is pretty much the only way to get about and I never saw the point in driving. Moving out to the sticks (Norwich) and suddenly buses come every half hour (max. every 15min) instead of being lined up one behind another. Now I drive everywhere because it just more convenient, regardless of cost. Public transport outside of London never seems to go were I want when I want.

    When I go back to London I usually drive to the outskirts and switch back to public transport. That said though, thinking of train fares vs driving costs. I can get a one-way ticket to london for about £8, £12 first class, if I book in advance. The multistory in Romford costs about the same to park the car for the day...

  13. #57


    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,236
    Thank Post
    151
    Thanked 243 Times in 168 Posts
    Rep Power
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    Now....who would stand to gain the most from artificially high house prices?

    Why...the very same people who will run the companies that will most likely be termed "preferred bidders" in any tendering process.





    HSR2 will be obsolete in 10 years....Let alone 20!
    Actually...........everyone who owns their own home benefits from artifically high housing prices, not just the rich.

    Whether your house is in Harpenden and worth £450,000 or if it's in Hartlepool and worth £45,000, the housing shortage keeps that value artificially high.

    Obviously, no offence to those living in Hartlepool.

  14. #58

    LeMarchand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The deepest pits of hell
    Posts
    2,573
    Thank Post
    327
    Thanked 417 Times in 291 Posts
    Rep Power
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Apologies. My mistake. However, the context is still important - we need people on public transport and people don't use it because its expensive, unreliable and inconvenient.
    Hey, at least we both agree on that!

    Heading back to the other reasons that the HS2 is claimed to be a good idea, I've found what I think is a parliamentary report that suggests that the case for the HS2 improving the economy isn't that clear cut. I just skimmed it, but section 4 seemed quite relevant. Clicky

    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    I'd also like to point out a further problem with public transport...
    Same problem here for work: 20 mins walk to a train station + 1/2 hour journey + 10 minute walk to my only school near a station. Takes 3/4 hour in car on a very bad day. Then I'd need to get to my other schools (10 minutes from each other by car) - who knows how long that would take? There used to be a bus that used a road that went from close to my house past most of my schools, but now I'd have to walk 1/2 hour to town, get the bus into the city centre and then another out again, plus change my hours to fit the bus timetable.

  15. #59

    LeMarchand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The deepest pits of hell
    Posts
    2,573
    Thank Post
    327
    Thanked 417 Times in 291 Posts
    Rep Power
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    Actually...........everyone who owns their own home benefits from artifically high housing prices, not just the rich.

    Whether your house is in Harpenden and worth £450,000 or if it's in Hartlepool and worth £45,000, the housing shortage keeps that value artificially high.
    But while a drop in prices would hurt a lot of people (by causing negative equity - I've been there) if houses were cheaper for everyone then once that "bump in the road" had passed it would be a much more level playing field.

    Not seen it so much recently, as the market is flat, but I was getting sick of seeing "affordable developments" covered in For Sale signs a few months after being sold as they'd all been bought by developers and a few months was all they needed to cash in and turn them into "not as affordable" properties.

  16. #60


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    7,046
    Thank Post
    232
    Thanked 922 Times in 791 Posts
    Rep Power
    308
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    Actually...........everyone who owns their own home benefits from artifically high housing prices, not just the rich.

    Whether your house is in Harpenden and worth £450,000 or if it's in Hartlepool and worth £45,000, the housing shortage keeps that value artificially high.

    Obviously, no offence to those living in Hartlepool.
    it dosent really help anyone. the actual cost/value of a house is imo only an issue 2 times when you first buy and if you sell and never buy again the rest of the time only the difference matters. Even then in real terms my house is worth say 115k so what i cant spend that cash just means i owe the bank say 90k which atm wont be paid off for 30 years

    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Regarding getting people on public transport. I didn't learn to drive until I was in my late 20's mainly because I was living in London until my early 20's when most people learn to drive. Living in London, public transport is pretty much the only way to get about and I never saw the point in driving. Moving out to the sticks (Norwich) and suddenly buses come every half hour (max. every 15min) instead of being lined up one behind another. Now I drive everywhere because it just more convenient, regardless of cost. Public transport outside of London never seems to go were I want when I want.

    When I go back to London I usually drive to the outskirts and switch back to public transport. That said though, thinking of train fares vs driving costs. I can get a one-way ticket to london for about £8, £12 first class, if I book in advance. The multistory in Romford costs about the same to park the car for the day...
    thats because tfl is so heavily tax funded by the whole country its cheap and plentiful if the rest of the country got the same £ per person spent on us as londoners it would be less of an issue

    as to cars you can from peugeot for example "buy" a car for £140 a month and just pay that and petrol



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Similar Threads

  1. Arguments for and against ipads - need info in a hurry
    By witch in forum Netbooks, PDA and Phones
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 10th May 2012, 04:20 PM
  2. Which PDA? For AND Against
    By Westfield_Techie in forum Netbooks, PDA and Phones
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27th November 2009, 02:59 PM
  3. Disable network logon for a Security Group or an OU
    By mrforgetful in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 28th June 2006, 05:13 PM
  4. Looking for good online or self study MCSE course
    By ajbritton in forum Courses and Training
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 23rd May 2006, 06:44 PM
  5. Group PM for Admin and/or staff
    By NetworkGeezer in forum Comments and Suggestions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19th May 2006, 06:32 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •