+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, New survey in General; Seeing as the new school year starts on Monday it will interesting to see what fails just as we need ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries

New survey

Seeing as the new school year starts on Monday it will interesting to see what fails just as we need it most. Will it be server, infrastructure or users. Please let us know.

Thank Post

Re: New survey

I'm taking a wild guess that my biggest problem with be users, although with me not being able to do simple maintenance on our servers due to one thing or another i've got my fingers crossed they keep running.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries

Have been spending the last week checking kit so fingers crossed nothing will fall over on the day. Hopefully all we'll get is the usual hundred or so cases of password amnesia from staff and students.

Thank Post

Not got "Sense of humour failure"?
    Ours will be PEBKAC, especially with a new email server and very simple instruction guides handed out and available everywhere. Won't be simple enough and I just know that after the Half Term holiday (when we have stated that all pst files will be removed) there will a whole new round of confused people. Worst bit is the new email system will be much easier, need less attention from staff and yet I know as it is new they will not want to play and get all flustered and panic. Ohh well.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey
    Not got "Sense of humour failure"?
    Ours will be PEBKAC, especially with a new email server and very simple instruction guides handed out and available everywhere. Won't be simple enough and I just know that after the Half Term holiday (when we have stated that all pst files will be removed) there will a whole new round of confused people. Worst bit is the new email system will be much easier, need less attention from staff and yet I know as it is new they will not want to play and get all flustered and panic. Ohh well.
    Oh god, when we introduced our new email system earlier in the year we thought we were going to have staff going out into the playground and immolating themselves. Talk about hysterics from some of them. Some of them reacted as if we've just offered to chop a limb off of them without using an anaesthetic...

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy
    Oh god, when we introduced our new email system earlier in the year we thought we were going to have staff going out into the playground and immolating themselves. Talk about hysterics from some of them. Some of them reacted as if we've just offered to chop a limb off of them without using an anaesthetic...
    I hear that. My defining moment of failure as IT support and trainer came with our email system: I sent an email to a colleague asking them a question, they printed out my email, hand-wrote their response on it and put it in my pigeon hole!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

We have gone round and checked Systems... Printers Projectors etc.. all new servers are up and running and Updated except for out Blade servers. still aint delivered the Chassis.. And still waiting for 58 machines to be delivered By NS Optimum.. so we have 1 IT room will no systems just Monitors. and the Staff still have there old systems that we should have changed lol... we have Deployed the new Images and all seems to be going well apart from NS bloody optimum been a waste of space... and as for users and Staff password we just Reset them all then when they log on the can put a new one in .

hopfully all goes well on the day.. will let u know tuesday night!!

Thank Post

... bad timing?

Our NTL router died the day before the exam results were supposed to be downloaded. After ringing them in a blind panic 'cos it'll be my fault we don't have any results won't it, I managed to get a new one delivered to us but NTL insisted that their engineer fitted it. Needless to say he didn't turn up and after hours of waiting after my usual hours I decided to do the 2 minute job of swapping it out myself.

Panic averted and everyone none the wiser.

HBJB

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

We already back.... been back since wednesday..

Main things gone wrong this week...

FMS...
    Some machines built into wrong area so where not picking up correct software..
    Virtual CD 7 not playing happy
    Then load of small issues like restoring some office work that had gone and Dealing with ELC's

Russell

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy
    Ha you think that was bad, I didn't bother putting a link to Google on the new Sharepoint front page (for obvious reasosn as everyone uses the Search box in the top right of IE7 or just goes to google.com) and within minutes of the switchover, "How do I turn the Internet on as Google is missing! 8O " I fell off my chair when I was told that was the most common moan to start with. Not how do I find Outlook Web Access, it was how to I get to Google 8O

Thank Post

*hangs in in disbelief*
    Our backup system failed.....
    on the Admin Server......
    bye bye 3 years of accounts......
    Glad I wasn't in charge of the admin server though! :-)

Thank Post

Our curriculum file & print server is lying in pieces. A blown mobo and two dead processors. For two weeks. Under a three year onsite warranty. Not particulary impressed with that company.

Fingers crossed we'll get it sorted before all the 8-11 cherbus arrive back on wed.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Dead machines (crappy Gigabyte boards with frying southchips)

Dead whiteboards

Other whiteboards not installed to Promethean "installation issues"

Printers not installed or allocated to handful of machines

No network accounts for staff who have joined (we weren't informed)

New IT room of machines not building onto network in IT room; individual machines from said room build fine in our office! (Yes, it has network cables, attached to the switch, and they get an IP address, and we can ping to/from them...)

Thank Post

Exhange Server during mid migration of mailboxes..................not got round to check anything else yet.

Thank Post

One of our brand new Gigabit switches went belly up yesterday, taking the whole network down with it. The management on both it and the backbone switch kicked in to try and contain the problem, but obviously not quick enough. The entire network was offline for about half an hour while I traced the problem, the main IT switch (to which it was connected) is still off, but the replacement switch is due this morning.

Could have been worse, though.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast