+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, New survey in General; Well second day in and it's our servers that are causing the most problems, as i feared. But i did ...

Thank Post

Re: New survey

Well second day in and it's our servers that are causing the most problems, as i feared. But i did warn them that leaving no time for maintenance on a failing DC would cause problems come term time... but would they listen... of course not... now i have to find solutions quick lol.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by john
    Ha you think that was bad, I didn't bother putting a link to Google on the new Sharepoint front page (for obvious reasosn as everyone uses the Search box in the top right of IE7 or just goes to google.com) and within minutes of the switchover, "How do I turn the Internet on as Google is missing! 8O " I fell off my chair when I was told that was the most common moan to start with. Not how do I find Outlook Web Access, it was how to I get to Google 8O
    Yep we had that one about 3 months ago. our list of links was getting too full on the Intranet front page so we removed Google, assuming that people would know how to get to it or have bookmarked it. You would have thought the world had ended. Everythign from "I can't get on the Internet" to "Google has been deleted/uninstalled". Telling them to type it in was met with blank stares. I do dispare sometimes.

Thank Post

The EMBC email servers going tits up on the first morning added to the usual stresses for us.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

You use EMBC mail servers? Why? ;-)

/me runs ever so quickly!!!!

Thank Post

How about the PSUs on 20 monitors deciding to pop on the first day of term? Admittedly they are over 3 years old but what are the chances of 15 out of 21 in the 6th Form Library all going???

Thank Post

How about the PSUs on 20 monitors deciding to pop on the first day of term? Admittedly they are over 3 years old but what are the chances of 15 out of 21 in the 6th Form Library all going???
    Really! what brand out of interest?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by PeterW
    Really! what brand out of interest?
    AG Neovo... admittedly, the majority of these PSUs had been stuck in little cupboards along with computers and without sufficient ventillation. This probably had something to do with limiting the lifespans

Thank Post

Most things so far have been pupil and staff forgotten passwords, nothing new there.
    Also a few issues with permissions for years 7, 8, 9 and 10 as all their folders were created from scratch. And as usual I forgot a few permissions that cause some strange errors.
    Few pc's have failed, not too bad though as we replaced most of the crap over the summer

Oh and we have had to do SIMS upgrades manually on around 50 machines since automatic upgrades wont work on a certain image we used (see my post in the MIS forum)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Timetabling a mess... no one had sorted out the timetable properly - lots of Y7s & 8s have free periods! New team - no one taking responsibility of migrating to new sch year. Asked if they followed the instructions - they look at you blankly

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

NM now gone on paternity leave (9lbs 4oz, baby girl ... congrats to Stephen ... and more importantly to his wife!), Macs only arriving tomorrow but not with any of the additional music kit for a variety of reasons so I have to reorder those tomorrow.

Thank Post

Only real problems due to County migrating our broadband link to new ISP last Friday. I got the Email informing me of the move this Tuesday, when our Admin Office finally forwarded it!

Loads of our port settings not migrated - "the list we got might be out of date"!!

Emails & Oliver (library admin.) the main victims. Emails finally sorted today, Oliver still not well.

Otherwise a remarkably smooth start to the term.

RoyG

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

Out of my first week kids managed without the Google button, staff didn't. So it stays clear as its a teaching and learning tool, the kids learn from it and the teachers need to be taught go to www.google.co.uk

Appart from that not too bad, the usual forgotten passwords, dodgy roaming profiles, photocopiers & printers jamming due to soggy wet 8 week old damp paper. Library software not working well and oh yeah eportal install deciding to just stop working on the server thats designed for internal serving, so we now go out via one connection to then come back in again on another to access the web version of it.

Thank Post

So far 28 people have had server hardware failures!

Thank Post

1) new iMacs didn't arrive in time!
    2) Updated firmware on wireless access points over the summer, big mistake, every single one of them started locking up causing massive problems with registeration
    3) Timetables all wrong so our new afternoon roll call (which is now teaching group not form group) is impossible to do.
    4) loose fibre connection to the admin block which caused some fun!
    5) Year 10 seems to have grown so much our class groups are now bigger than our IT suites
    6) I forgot to turn on 1 of the new shares which hosts the Yr7 home folders

much better than last year though, 4 hard drive failures in our OD Master AND Replica within 3 days was not fun to fix.

oh and you'll laugh at how many people use the google bar to search for google!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,605 Posts

First day back was a doddle... there must have been flying pigs over Kent!

2 password resets
    1 Speakers don't work (not plugged into mains)
    1 Printer won't work (no USB cable connecting it to the standalone PC)
    1 Total power failure in classroom (lengthy search by me and the caretaker revealed previously unknown fuse box)

The timetables are useless of course!

I fear I will suffer in future for the ease of my first day back this year!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12