+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Decent Walking Boots in General; My North Face walking boots finally gave in to walking through mud and water every weekend and have I think ...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries

Decent Walking Boots

My North Face walking boots finally gave in to walking through mud and water every weekend and have I think died from the boot equivalent of trench foot. My Merrells suffered a similar fate last year.

To be honest I'm not impressed with the latest technology in terms of walking boots so far. Back in the eighties I had a pair of Daisy Root walking boots that I used for ten years and saw me around most of Australia. I still have them and they're still in good condition but very heavy and hot in warmer climes.

Are there any recommendations as to what I should be looking at for trudging around the British swamps (countryside)?

Thank Post
    I have a pair of Berghaus (cant remember the name of them) but they are goretex. They are waterproof and breathable. Ive had them for about 5 years and the only problem ive had is the laces snapping a month ago and I regularly wear them about 3-4 times a month and on a couple of walking trips a year.

EDIT: Try Cotswolds they will be able to give you good advice and they do fittings for boots. But id go for Berghaus make sure they are goretex. a lot of my friends I go with have Goretex Berghaus boots too.
    Last edited by hardtailstar; 28th January 2013 at 04:46 PM.

3. Thanks to hardtailstar from:

tech_guy (28th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailstar View Post
    I have a pair of Berghaus (cant remember the name of them) but they are goretex. They are waterproof and breathable. Ive had them for about 5 years and the only problem ive had is the laces snapping a month ago and I regularly wear them about 3-4 times a month and on a couple of walking trips a year.
    ^ this also - the goretex stops the damp getting in and they're comfortable and last well, although check they've improved the soles as they can be quite slippy on some surfaces (wet rocks and metal steps) compared to other boots. Explorer is the model of mine... also about 5 years old and in blue suede...

5. Thanks to Netman from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Netman View Post
    ^ this also - the goretex stops the damp getting in and they're comfortable and last well, although check they've improved the soles as they can be quite slippy on some surfaces (wet rocks and metal steps) compared to other boots. Explorer is the model of mine... also about 5 years old and in blue suede...
    Ive never noticed the sole slippyness, I think mine are Explorer's too but they are more of the canvas type.

Thank Post
    don't get Vibram soles I find them useless gripping onto anything. Brasher boots are pretty good

8. Thanks to markcuk from:

Thank Post
    I walked around a good part of Australia in Brasher boots. They lasted ten years longer until I dropped an old UPS when dismounting it and the rack ear shredded the side of one (saving my foot).

Comfy, good support, robust and flexible enough for scrambling up boulders and trees.

Closest current model would be either the Fellmaster or Superlite II GTXs.

10. Thanks to pete from:

Thank Post
    Berghaus or Brasher get my vote too, I'm a scout leader and regularly use my berghaus boots when hiking or camping. Brasher walking shoes are what I wear to work daily and takes about a year of wearing 5-7 days a week for 9+ hours a day before they wore down. My boots are about 5 years old and still got a lot of life left in them. Goretex is definitely reccommended!

Used to be a big fan of Karrimor too but their recent stuff has been rubbish, probobly why theyre now massively discounted at sports direct, nowhere near the quality they were in the late 90's.

12. Thanks to Andthomson from:

Thank Post
    Just bought some berghaus explorer treks for myself and my other half, lets hope they are good. Just been wearing them in the house at the minute all we can say is they are comfy. I went off the advice off the lady in blacks in the lakes who said aviod blacks own make, if your walking regularly she said youd need to spend to get quality she suggested the berghaus or scarpa or salamon the berghaus are the cheaper of the three and she would expect them to last 3 - 4 years walking every other weekend end on the fells wereas the others maybe 5 - 10 years depending on how you look after them. Hope this helps.

14. Thanks to LukeC from:

Thank Post
    Hi-Tec boots I have are decent, I tend to go for Leather ones not Suede though, thats pointless.

I have a pair similar to these - Buy Hi-Tec® Eurotrek Brown Waterpoof online for just £59.99 | Free Delivery Over £50 - older model I have, but their water tight and comfortable (they have been up Pen y Fan here no problem)

Wouldnt recommend any cheap boots (type you always see on offer for sub £30 in Mountain Warehouse/Go Outdoors, they usually die a death quite fast

16. Thanks to rich_tech from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    British Army Goretex. Contract Number DC4BESL/1001
    I picked mine up for £25 and been using them on a motorcycle in *very* wet weather.
    BOOTS PRO GORETEX - WORK - WATERPROOF - GRADE 1 USED - BRITISH ARMY BOOTS | eBay

18. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

Thank Post
    One word. Scarpa

All my boots are Scarpa, from trek models up to the Mantas.

As mentioned you can look at:
    Outdoor Clothing & Equipment | Cotswold Outdoor
    If you have DofE at your school, approach the DofE Leader as Students get 10% and Leaders get 20% off. (20% is what I can get!)

or

GO Outdoors | Winter Coats & Clothing | Camping & Tent Equipment
    £5 for membership (unless family/friend has one).
    They also price match, plus 10% of the difference
    10% off everything (except sale items this week) - Discount Code: WEB10

or

Gaynor Sports of Ambleside

If you are going for another manufacturer of boot, it may be worth visiting and trying some on, as the fit (last) does vary between them.

20. Thanks to MYK-IT from:

Thank Post
    Got to be Scarpa SL's for me...I use them all year round for local walks and more serious mountaineering too. Mine are about 10 years do now and show no sign of giving up just yet (one of the best bits of kit I've bought IMHO). They might be too heavy for some but I swear by mine. I could be wrong but I would hazard a guess that the new equivalent might not be as durable/good such is the "advancement" of the materials used.

Ben

22. Thanks to bgarston from:

rad
    Thank Post
    Cotswold offer a good discount too, Google has the answer for that one, plus a good mums forum...

Thank Post
    I got a new pair of Altberg boots last year from Whalley Warm and Dry - Whalley Warm & Dry
    Fantastic boots and going to see an expert and getting them custom fitted has made a huge difference to my feet.
    Already got half a dozen good walking days in them without any issues, would heartily recommend.

25. Thanks to Chris_Jones from:

tech_guy (29th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,169 Times in 1,604 Posts
    I've just started the hunt for decent boots for teenage son to do DofE Gold in... Size 14 or 15. It's not easy to find something that you don't need a mortgage for.

27. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

tech_guy (29th January 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast