+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Experience but no qualifications in General; ...
    Thank Post

Experience but no qualifications

I'm thinking of moving on in the next Year or two from being a ICT technician here to something higher-up in another school or private sector. I am 21 years old and currently earn £13,700 pa gross.

I want to move because I simply want to move out of home, and my current wage would not cover this, and there are no oppertiunites here for a promotion. I am looking for around £23,000-£28,000 pa gross.

The only problem is I have 0 ICT qualifications, although I do have 4 years (nearly 5) experience, and I am very competent with networking, windows server, virtulization, backup soloutions, mis systems, web site building, graphic designing, advance software troubleshooting and various other things...

I'm really not sure if I should just go for another job based on my experience (and very good references) or if I should get some qualifications under my belt first, but I wouldn't know where to start!

What are your opinions?

Thank Post
    Apply for jobs, if you dont get places ask for feedback and if Qualifications are mentioned head down that route.

Thank Post
    We're looking at employing someone over the next few weeks, and for me experience outweighs qualifications if it came down to a final decision.

4. Thanks to sippo from:

andyturpie (28th January 2013)

Thank Post
    When doing you CV put your work experience\time working ahead of your qualifications.
    Also you could compile a portfolio to have proof that you are competent in the skills you have.

Thank Post
    A qualification is gained at a point in time, experince is built over time.

Sadly some companies do put some outlandish requests on job specifications.

Rob

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,775 Posts
    I've got qualifications, but they're not worth the parchment they're illuminated onto because they're so old. (I started on punch cards )

Your experience should be enough to make the next step, but of course if you get an opportunity to do relevant training, grab it! Most Job descriptions will have "or relevant experience" next to the required qualifications.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Most Job descriptions will have "or relevant experience" next to the required qualifications.
    I don't think mine did.

I don't have any qualifications [Not even a A-C grade GCSE :P ] but I've always faffed about with tech and have, once upon a time, taught game design [sort of longish story]

I would say, just apply for the jobs you see. You may lack the qualifications, but they could be impressed with your history. Personally, I'd take 4/5 years working experience of current tech over qualifications from years ago.

Thank Post
    ^ These. Experience over certs definitely, at your level for sure.

BUT if you WANT something quick and easy for the CV (I think the following still hold true btw) get the easiest Microsoft exam you can find done. You'll breeze it as a tech THEN you're Microsoft certified (MCP) so you get logos to put on the CV. If they ask why you've got it, say you thought it's worthwhile having a cert to vouch for skills gained. If they ask to mean they think it's a bit meaningless, say it's not meant to stand on its own as you're working towards your MCITP.

Also, do a few modules of a CCNA say, that way you're working towards your CCNA too! Nothing like some practical knowledge alongside the study, which makes you more useful to the network you're entering into etc... Also helps you answer that "where do you see yourself in five years?" question!

Thank Post
    Interview - if nothing else you'll gain experience at presenting yourself at interviews.

Regarding qualifications: As a starting point, do the practise tests for the CompTIA courses (A+, N+, Security+) and assess how close you are to passing.

Thank Post
    Hey all,

I've been working for 70-680 for around 2 Years, now, this is an easy(ish) exam but various family and personal problems keep me from completing it, so each time I start it up again I've forgot most of what I learnt... and now they're expiring this on 30th July this Year so there's not much point now, with server 2012 and windows 8 out now as well.

But yeah experience seems to be the key, as I have gained a nice 4 years and I'm still only 21

Do you think based on my experince I could go for a, say, Assistant Network Manager type role as that's the level I want to step up to?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Personally I would suggest lowering your expectations of salary a little - for a 21yo in London that would be a reasonable target, however in the Midlands, not so much. Sell yourself on your CV and covering letter and you can easily make lack of qualifications seem unimportant. Make yourself the right person for the jobs you are applying for and experience will speak for itself. At least whilst working for lower salary you can gain more experience and aim for higher salaries later on. After all, at most you've got 4 years experience which in the wide world isn't a lot. Keep at it and good things will come.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Personally I would suggest lowering your expectations of salary a little - for a 21yo in London that would be a reasonable target, however in the Midlands, not so much. Sell yourself on your CV and covering letter and you can easily make lack of qualifications seem unimportant. Make yourself the right person for the jobs you are applying for and experience will speak for itself. At least whilst working for lower salary you can gain more experience and aim for higher salaries later on. After all, at most you've got 4 years experience which in the wide world isn't a lot. Keep at it and good things will come.
    It's not a lot, but I started here at 17 so when I will be looking for other jobs in 1-2 years I will have 6-7 years experience and still only be 23 Not sure about the salary, it'd have to be a nice bit more than I pick up now, because I do love working here - just not on enough money!

Thank Post
    I think the point about qualifications has been missed somewhat. Qualifications - particularly those taken voluntarily as an adult shows a dedication and willingness to learn and better oneself, especially if you're going to a job which involves some degree of management. How are you on staff management and handling budgets?

Thank Post
    No qualifications here, but 15 years experience.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    I think the point about qualifications has been missed somewhat. Qualifications - particularly those taken voluntarily as an adult shows a dedication and willingness to learn and better oneself, especially if you're going to a job which involves some degree of management. How are you on staff management and handling budgets?
    Yes, they are important but it looks like most people here think experience is more valuable. And I've never managed anyone or a budget but it can't be that hard, everyone has to start somewhere!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast