+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Experience but no qualifications in General; Originally Posted by Lee91 Yes, they are important but it looks like most people here think experience is more valuable. ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,699 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee91 View Post
    Yes, they are important but it looks like most people here think experience is more valuable. And I've never managed anyone or a budget but it can't be that hard, everyone has to start somewhere!
    You could go for a job like mine where you are a lone tech in a smaller school as as step up to full NM or even assistant NM. I dont have a budget but I know how much money there is to spend and I get to do quotes and decide on what kit we buy.
    Speaking as an ex-recruitment consultant - I would go for any job you think you could do. If you need help with your CV, just drop me a PM

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,036 Times in 794 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee91 View Post
    Yes, they are important but it looks like most people here think experience is more valuable. And I've never managed anyone or a budget but it can't be that hard, everyone has to start somewhere!
    I absolutely concur. 16 years experience in the field, no qualifications. A lack of qualifications nearly always means one of 3 things.
    1. You couldn't be bothered or don't have the ability to pass them
    2. You could be bothered, but it's difficult to finance them a) at all b) these days c) because of your circumstances
    3. You could be bothered but you find you learn more doing the job than theoretically learning how to do the job.

1. means you won't be getting anywhere, but the other 2 are easily solvable by correctly selling yourself and proving yourself. A foot in the door to show what you're capable of helps out a lot here.

Thank Post
    Degree here, not in the field of IT though (Human Resource Management), been in to computers since my Acorn Electron here, though I have 16 years of various experience in PC/Apple/Linux/Unix repair/installation/engineering and support (was funny having my dad drive me to places to fix PCs when I was 16 looking back and funny seeing peoples faces when a 16 year old turned up to fix their PC)

I would say also if you want to show that you are interested in training take a look at the https://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/Home.aspx - they offer courses for free on most current windows technologies, though not MCP certification, it can show that you are training where possible to an employer if budget is a problem.
    Last edited by rich_tech; 29th January 2013 at 08:19 AM.

Thank Post
    No qualifications here just 7 years experience in IT within the NHS, I am moving on next week to a new start in the private sector.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    You could go for a job like mine where you are a lone tech in a smaller school as as step up to full NM or even assistant NM. I dont have a budget but I know how much money there is to spend and I get to do quotes and decide on what kit we buy.
    Speaking as an ex-recruitment consultant - I would go for any job you think you could do. If you need help with your CV, just drop me a PM
    I sort of do that now, there is a NM but I handle all orders at the moment - ink, bulbs, bits n bobs etc he just manages bigger spending like computer suites, but I am capable of doing that as well.

Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it in the future which leads me onto another question.... When is the best time to apply for a new job? I was thinking sometime around the summer.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,699 Posts
    Anytime. Look ALL the time and then just go for it. Tech jobs come up all year round
    Even if you do already do the small ordering a job where you are responsible for the big stuff would be a step up.
    My advice to you is simple - look at all jobs and see if you honestly believe you could do them and have enough relevant experience. It is unlikely that you will jump into a NMs job with full budgetary and personnel responsibility but other than that - have a go

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12