+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Dear George in General; Can someone explain why our borrowing has gone UP when there have been all these cuts? What is it being ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts
    Can someone explain why our borrowing has gone UP when there have been all these cuts?
    What is it being spent on?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Can someone explain why our borrowing has gone UP when there have been all these cuts?
    to pay the morons who recommend the cuts of course....

Thank Post
    There haven't been cuts. Or at least, none that matter.

You can see a breakdown of the UK's spending on ukpublicspending.co.uk . Nearly £60Bn a year - half the cost of the NHS - goes in to merely paying the interest on our debts. Not paying them off. Just keeping them going.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Am I the only one who sees the potential for this thread to go on for another 10 pages, yet continue to go round and round in circles?

*Not convinced that IT and politics mix*

5. Thanks to aerospacemango from:

Gibbo (26th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I hope I get this right...

The problem is not borrowing per se. The problem is the deficit which, if I remember correctly, is the difference between how much the Government collects in taxes and other revenues and how much we spend keeping the country working. Since 2001 we've been spending more than the Government generates and so borrowing goes up to cover the difference. Until we eliminate the deficit borrowing will continue to increase. Since 2010 the deficit has been dropping quiet sharply, thanks to the austerity measures, but we continue to borrow because we are as a nation still spending more than we can afford.

The bad news is that the national debt is so large that the interest payments are about the same as we spend on our defense budget - around £30bn! The big three money pits are benefits, health and education. So to make any kind of dent in the deficit this is where he has to cut from - or raise taxes.

The UK's Budget Deficit Explained

United Kingdom national debt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

7. 2 Thanks to tmcd35:

andyturpie (25th January 2013), witch (25th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    The big three money pits are benefits, health and education. So to make any kind of dent in the deficit this is where he has to cut from - or raise taxes.
    And as I said earlier, benefits are a good place to start!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    Am I the only one who sees the potential for this thread to go on for another 10 pages, yet continue to go round and round in circles?

*Not convinced that IT and politics mix*
    I don't think politics mixes with anything. Ever. Sadly it's a discussion that's needed, else if we don't get involved and pay attention the political classes - and they are a separate class these days, representative of nothing but themselves - will get away with screaming bloody murder.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    I don't think politics mixes with anything. Ever. Sadly it's a discussion that's needed, else if we don't get involved and pay attention the political classes - and they are a separate class these days, representative of nothing but themselves - will get away with screaming bloody murder.
    Indeed....and I agree with that point.

However, I'm not convinced that an online forum is the place to do it. The arguments become the same, throughout, and threads DO go round and round in circles. You only need to look back at all the other political threads!

The people at the top actually seem to care less and less for those below as the years pass. Are benefits REALLY the source of problems? Not the massive influx of immigrant workers, so there are less jobs for those on benefits to aim for? Or possibly the multi-national companies that pay next to no tax, despite having operations worth billions?

All of these ARE factors. But no-one really wants to admit to what must be done!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    Let me give you a slightly different perspective on this.

I have earned my money, saved to buy my big screen TV and all the best gadgets, pay my mortgage, save what I cant, pay into my pension.

Now, the family in the flat below my GF, neither work, they have 3 children, they smoke copious amounts of the marijuana and almost permanently have one of their many large screen TVs so loud that I could play the game that's on their Xbox/PS3. All hours of the day too, I've been awoken at 4am on a weekday a couple of times.
    How many other families live like this? How much money is the country pissing away giving lazy families an easy life?
    I would love to quit my job and play xbox all day.

You then have the stupid situation with single mothers/fathers who's support payments are more than they can earn in a legitimate job? What incentive does this give to actually return to work? In some situations you would have to work 36+ hours a week to even match the payments, then deduct childcare etc. Again, would would people bother?

The whole lot needs looking at and starting again, so that it supports those willing to put the effort in and help them keep their heads above water and not fund a families drug/gaming luxury!
    Nail on the head there my friend. We're in the position that our joint income is always on the threshold before any benefits are triggered. I know of people who earn less, but are actually better off due to benefits giving them more disposable income that we have. Most decide not to buy into any pension scheme which allows the cash to be invested in regular family holidays, new technologies etc. The reason I am more worse off is that I have been a member of a pension scheme since my 18th birthday. When these people reach 65 (or what ever the pensionable age will be) will still have had a blast of a time whilst working and still manage to pick up a state pension!

I would like to see child benefits only paid to those with BOTH parents appearing on a birth certificate (making an father absent or not legally responsible with no exceptions) - even deducting an absent fathers benefits to go back into the pot to cover.

Anyone applying for state pension PROVE that they were not able to contribute to a private pension scheme, by submitting bank record history.

my list is not exhaustive lol.

12. Thanks to andyturpie from:

CHR1S (25th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Why is it that whenever you critisize this current government, everyone assumes you're a labour supporter? Every argument from the "tory" people on this forum boils down to "WELL LABOUR WERE MUCH WORSE MAN!!!!!!" and I'm sick of it. I think all politicians are universally terrible and only out for their own ends, I'm just criticising the party in power.

Tory/right-wing/this-government-aint-so-bad people: How about you actually respond to the points raised in the arguments instead of finger pointing at the previous establishment? Whatever you might think Labour did, they aren't in power now. Playing the blame game isn't going to solve anything, and nor are ol' Georgies current policies. The sooner we can agree on that the sooner we'll see a proper alternative presented (like maybe getting companies like Vodafone to pay their tax? naaaaaaaah)

14. 4 Thanks to Sdrawkcab:

aerospacemango (25th January 2013), ButterflyMoon (28th January 2013), mmoseley (29th January 2013), witch (25th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andyturpie View Post
    Nail on the head there my friend. We're in the position that our joint income is always on the threshold before any benefits are triggered. I know of people who earn less, but are actually better off due to benefits giving them more disposable income that we have. Most decide not to buy into any pension scheme which allows the cash to be invested in regular family holidays, new technologies etc. The reason I am more worse off is that I have been a member of a pension scheme since my 18th birthday. When these people reach 65 (or what ever the pensionable age will be) will still have had a blast of a time whilst working and still manage to pick up a state pension!

I would like to see child benefits only paid to those with BOTH parents appearing on a birth certificate (making an father absent or not legally responsible with no exceptions) - even deducting an absent fathers benefits to go back into the pot to cover.

Anyone applying for state pension PROVE that they were not able to contribute to a private pension scheme, by submitting bank record history.

my list is not exhaustive lol.
    WTF? Thank whichever deity YOU believe in that @andyturpie is NOT in government!

So, let's get this straight.... You would take money AWAY from children, whose Father is not on the birth certificate? Does the phrase "Child Poverty" mean nothing to you???

Secondly, the "prove that they were not able to contribute..." ....Unbelievable! What people CHOOSE to do with THEIR money is their lookout. I have, so far, paid 27 years worth of NI contributions and tax. In another 25 years, I shall be able to retire. I will do this with (probably) a minimum pension. This is not because I chose family holidays, etc, but because of what the current government have done to my (former) savings.

16. Thanks to aerospacemango from:

ButterflyMoon (28th January 2013)

Thank Post
    I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. Are you really genuinely saying that single parent families should get less child benefits? Do you really believe that raising a child costs less if there's only one parent? And if that is what you believe, my final question is 'are you totally mad?'

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    Now, the family in the flat below my GF, neither work, they have 3 children, they smoke copious amounts of the marijuana and almost permanently have one of their many large screen TVs so loud that I could play the game that's on their Xbox/PS3.
    People you personally know and have spoken with about financial matters, or just a family you've said hello to once or twice in passing?

How many other families live like this? How much money is the country pissing away giving lazy families an easy life?
    Tabloid sensationalism, probably a lot less than you're imagining.

I would love to quit my job and play xbox all day.
    A-men!

The whole lot needs looking at and starting again
    Agree totally.

We're in the position that our joint income is always on the threshold before any benefits are triggered. I know of people who earn less, but are actually better off due to benefits giving them more disposable income that we have.
    Actually a position my brother is in. Since moving in with his better half and having a sprog he now works 3 12hour days instead of 4 and has more money coming in. Good luck to him.

Most decide not to buy into any pension scheme which allows the cash to be invested in regular family holidays, new technologies etc.
    Funny you should say that. I don't think I get paid enough to have a private pension, so I don't. I much prefer the PS3 and odd Holiday, thanks!

The reason I am more worse off is that I have been a member of a pension scheme since my 18th birthday. When these people reach 65 (or what ever the pensionable age will be) will still have had a blast of a time whilst working and still manage to pick up a state pension!
    Because £144 a week is enough to live off of, I'm not in any way worried about the prospects of retiring. No doubt I'll die working - flipping burgers at McDonald or something!

Besides, Everybody gets the same state pensions and it's not means tested. Maybe I should start complaining that your going to get your nice shinny private pensions and an extra £144 a week off the tax payer on top of that? Some nice safety net you have there!

19. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

aerospacemango (25th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdrawkcab View Post
    I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. Are you really genuinely saying that single parent families should get less child benefits? Do you really believe that raising a child costs less if there's only one parent? And if that is what you believe, my final question is 'are you totally mad?'
    Absoultely barking!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdrawkcab View Post
    Are you advocating lack of personal responsibilty?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast