+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Stress! in General; Just overheard a final year student talking to a study adviser here, struggled not to laugh: Student: "I can't wait ...
    Thank Post

Stress!

Just overheard a final year student talking to a study adviser here, struggled not to laugh:

Student: "I can't wait for this year to be over, surely there's no job in existence that is as fast paced and hard-hitting as this dissertation?"
    Study Adviser: "Er. Well I don't know about that..."

LOL. He studies Fashion! Poor bugger won't last long in the real world I suspect!!!

Disclaimer: I am not saying HE and dissertations are not stressful, just that if he's serious, he has no idea what a job can be like!!

2. Thanks to Tyiell from:

Edu-IT (24th January 2013)

Thank Post
    I was going to write a huge long bit about how the dissertation will change his work ethic and prepare him for a professional life, how the work stays at a decent pace like that but his ability to do it and accept it is what changes, that responsibility in the world of work and careers motivates you in various directions anyway.

But yeah LOL is a good enough appraisal.

Unless he's the next Tommy Hilfiger and he'll earn more money than all of us put together.

Then he can phone me up and be all LOL.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscbrah View Post
    Unless he's the next Tommy Hilfiger and he'll earn more money than all of us put together.
    Ha, yeah that would be kinda depressing!! :/

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To be fair, I don't think I've ever worked as hard as I did at the end of my final year project - a full PHP/MySQL Google Maps mashup with a 20,000 word dissertation on it. I slept thirty minutes a day - around 2pm, as it's easier to get up in the sunshine than the dark - and worked the other 23 hours.

On the other hand that was because I'd done nothing for 6 months and had to do the whole thing in four weeks. It wasn't my fault, I was doing fine until I got to Methodologies and it got boring...

Thank Post
    @sonofsanta: Fair one, I think I did it the other way around - worked for half an hour a day and relaxed for the other 23 1/2 hours!!

Even so, imagine if you left all the work you do now in your job and let it build up for 6 months - I bet you'd need to work harder still to catch up! To be fair though I'd say things like this are some of the most important things Uni teaches students - that you need to manage your time, plan effectively, etc. in that sense, if he learns from how difficult the dissertation was and improves accordingly to work more efficiently then maybe this will be the hardest work he has to complete!!

Although, overall my response remains: LOL.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Oh I won't deny that the misery was entirely of my own making and a direct result of having spent the majority of my year watching Neighbours and Countdown with student cigarettes.

Unfortunately, the lesson I learnt from the whole charade was not "I need to manage my time better to stop that happening again!" but "huh, no matter how last minute I leave something I can still pull it out the bag and get away with it."

8. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

Tyiell (24th January 2013)

Thank Post
    I went into seclusion on my final year projects and assignment periods at Uni, Literally locked myself in the spare bedroom for about 18 hours a day for a fortnight at a time, while completing a consultancy project, then writing it up and notating it all, same for assignment hand ins, only relief I got is that I can revise the night before for a lot of exams so booktime was kept to a bare minimum with the stuff I had to study (Human Resource Management)

Some kids don't have a clue so my response is also a LOL

Work will hit them hard by sounds of it.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Oh I won't deny that the misery was entirely of my own making and a direct result of having spent the majority of my year watching Neighbours and Countdown with student cigarettes.

Unfortunately, the lesson I learnt from the whole charade was not "I need to manage my time better to stop that happening again!" but "huh, no matter how last minute I leave something I can still pull it out the bag and get away with it."
    You pretty much summed up my last year at uni. I learned I didn't ever want to experience that last minute rush again.

Thank Post
    Left my dissertation until the May of the final semester, then blitzed it in a week. Helped that it was comparitively easy (something to with laser applications) and 15,000 words. Got 55% for it, wasn't bad considering!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread