+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Strange interview questions in General; Hi, I've been to a few job interviews at schools recently, but today I was asked what I think to ...

Thank Post

Strange interview questions

Hi,

I've been to a few job interviews at schools recently, but today I was asked what I think to be a strange question by the headteacher

"We have some very bright students that are very clued up in IT, do you think you know more than them?"

It seems a wierd question to ask, does anyone know he was trying to get from this question?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Crexx View Post
    Hi,

I've been to a few job interviews at schools recently, but today I was asked what I think to be a strange question by the headteacher

"We have some very bright students that are very clued up in IT, do you think you know more than them?"

It seems a wierd question to ask, does anyone know he was trying to get from this question?
    I am guessing he wanted:

1. Confidence from you that, yes you do know more.

2. Aknowledgement that it is a cat and mouse game and that you know that you have to stay vigalant.

3. That we work in a fast moving industry and need to keep learning not rest on our laurels.

Easy to say now, not always easy to get all that said when under pressure in any interview.

Good luck

Rob

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,159 Times in 1,597 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robmal View Post

I am guessing he wanted:

1. Confidence from you that, yes you do know more.

2. Aknowledgement that it is a cat and mouse game and that you know that you have to stay vigalant.

3. That we work in a fast moving industry and need to keep learning not rest on our laurels.

Easy to say now, not always easy to get all that said when under pressure in any interview.

Good luck

Rob
    100% confidence in point 1 should lead to no job offer. Points 2 and 3 would be the right answers in my book... Hopefully the HT wasn't looking for point 1.

If you get the job, expect challenging students

Good luck.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Absolutely. You would expect to know more than them in many areas, but possibly not in all.

Thank Post
    Although the job is not about knowing more than the students, it's about knowing what they know and taking appropriate action to ensure that they can't use that knowledge to circumvent safeguards. Never underestimate your opponant and all that....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I couldn't hope to know more about our students in IT. Some of them are professional programmers whilst I am a lowly network manager.
    It's a stupid question. I know more than them about the field I'm working in - IT education systems. I'd hardly know more than students about IT in general, like I'm some sort of expert on every conceivable language the kids might be using!.

Thank Post
    i had one for my current place if i remeber correctly it was on the lines of:
    as an ex-pupil whats your opinion on the school going from all boys to mixed?

i also had a simuler question as the OP, my response was they will know more then me about the systeam but what they dont know is i will know what they know in a very short time and if i catch them doing something that they should on the systeam then i will uterlise their knowledge to improve the system. and if they want i will start a club after school to teach them about what i do and how to do it on a seprate network.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 794 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crexx View Post
    I'd agree with what others have said, they were looking to see if you're confident in your abilities. I also agree it'd be foolish to assume you know more than every student in every area of IT, but as long as you can stay one step ahead in terms of your network's security, you'll be fine.

I was once asked to talk about work I had done at my previous school in an interview. I spoke about how I had taken the time to get to know their current systems, then used my expertise to improve them, making things more efficient and freeing up my time to look in to the expansion requested by the HT.
    "Oh, we wouldn't want you to do anything like that."
    "You don't want me to try to improve anything if at all possible?"
    "No, nothing like that."
    Needless to say, I turned down the job.

Thank Post
    A good answer would be.

"We all know different things to a greater or lesser extent than others"

That can not be argued with.

Rob

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    "We all know different things to a greater or lesser extent than others"
    I like that answer...I think they are looking for you to say NO but YES if that makes sense. No that you dont know everything they are teaching the kids now a days, im by no means a programmer and kids can kick my ass at that! but Yes when it comes to network security, infrastructure and best practice, yes you know more than them (I would say in my opinion)

Edit: And say No, you dont know what the latest computer game is or the crazzzy slang they use now-a-days! lol

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread