+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Home Printers? in General; Can anyone recommend me a printer for use at home? I have had in the past 2 old inkjets which ...

Thank Post

Home Printers?

Can anyone recommend me a printer for use at home? I have had in the past 2 old inkjets which every time I went to use them required cleaning before the print would be ok. As a result they got used less and less because of all the hassle each time a new print was required. We now have a main computer and laptop which the wife uses so I was thinking of possible getting a wireless printer and then possibly looking at a print/scanner (as we do need to occasionaly scan docs).

It would be used for normal docs and printing photo's too so can anyone recommend me something which isn't too expensive to run and isn't going to require constant cleaning when used.

Thank Post
    Does it have to be inkjet?

I would have a look at a Samsung colour all in one, cheap to run and cheap to buy.

3. Thanks to MatthewL from:

penfold (22nd January 2013)

Thank Post
    A friend of mine bought this recently and really likes it.

Buy Brother MFC J5910DW A3 Wireless Network Ready Colour Printer with 6 sets of IJT Inkjets at Morgan Computers

Me personally am not keen on compatible inks but the price seems reasonable. Definitely do some research into it tho.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewL View Post

I would have a look at a Samsung colour all in one, cheap to run and cheap to buy.
    No it can be anything to be honest as long as it does't cost too much....one factor though is it can't be too big as space is an issue.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by north-ict View Post
    A friend of mine bought this recently and really likes it.

Buy Brother MFC J5910DW A3 Wireless Network Ready Colour Printer with 6 sets of IJT Inkjets at Morgan Computers

Me personally am not keen on compatible inks but the price seems reasonable. Definitely do some research into it tho.
    A3 is too big as space is an issue.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,643 Posts
    I have an HP colour LaserJet CP1025nw Colour which has a small footprint and can be connected to wired or wireless networking.

I also have a Canon CanoScan LiDE scanner which spends most of its time in a neoprene wallet on the bookshelf. It doesn't need mains power, so when its needed for scanning or copying, we just pull it out and plug in the USB. I love the scanner; it's portability means it's it's even been used off a laptop running purely on battery in the boot of my car one weekend while we hastily scanned in a homework sheet that son had managed to lose
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 22nd January 2013 at 12:02 PM.

8. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

penfold (22nd January 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    I have an HP colour LaserJet CP1025nw Colour which has a small footprint and can be connected to wired or wireless networking.

I also have a Canon CanScan LiDE scanner which spends most of its time in a neoprene wallet on the bookshelf. It doesn't need mains power, so when its needed for scanning or copying, we just pull it out and plug in the USB. I love the scanner; it's portability means it's it's even been used off a laptop running purely on battery in the boot of my car one weekend while we hastily scanned in a homework sheet that son had managed to lose
    That printer is a bit beyond our budget at the moment but I'll keep in mind as to be honest I would rather wait to get something good than just get something now. And the reason a combi was considered was that I used to do the same thing as you with a scanner, but I don't want stuff just sitting around taking up additional space if it's not being used. In all honesty we probably don't need a scanner as we can do it in work but there have been a few occasions over the last year which we could have done with one at home.

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewL View Post

The samsung lasers are quite good for a home printer. Got myself a 300N years ago and its really been good and reliable, got my brother to get a slightly newer model from them and its been equally good for him.

Thank Post
    For scanning, I use one of these: Canon UK - P-150 it's tiny and folds up when not in use.

The parents get on well with a Dell B&W laser, but no idea what the toner costs are like for colour.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,643 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    That printer is a bit beyond our budget at the moment but I'll keep in mind as to be honest I would rather wait to get something good than just get something now. And the reason a combi was considered was that I used to do the same thing as you with a scanner, but I don't want stuff just sitting around taking up additional space if it's not being used. In all honesty we probably don't need a scanner as we can do it in work but there have been a few occasions over the last year which we could have done with one at home.
    The colour printing could be quicker, but I have double installed this printer everywhere as both a mono and colour with the mono as default. This saves on toner costs as only the black toner is used for mono printing instead of all 4. The mono print speed is fine.

13. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

penfold (23rd January 2013)

Thank Post
    I had the same problem with inkjets at home in that I used them so rarely the cartridges would always dry/clog up so I switched to mono lasers instead.

Currently using a HP 1102w which is pretty good and works with PC,iPad and iPhone all wirelessly. Haven't found a neat solution to print with my android tablet to it yet though as the HP 'cloud' print seems a but rubbish.

Would recommend it apart from that though.
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 22nd January 2013 at 10:23 PM.

15. Thanks to flyinghaggis from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,699 Posts
    Ive got an HP all-in-one wireless and it works very well. It looks like an HP Deskjet 1050A and it quite compact (not sure if that is the wireless one)
    I don't use it often and haven't had an issue with ink drying up at all
    Last edited by witch; 23rd January 2013 at 07:42 AM.

17. Thanks to witch from:

Thank Post
    I bought a Samsung ML-1710 almost a decade ago. It's still going strong, even more so now that I use it in my office at work.

Thank Post
    Just bought my girlfriend a kodak hero 7.1, runs fine, ink is nice and cheap compared to the others, it's wireless too. laser ones are great but i find the toner just costs too much for a colour.

Thank Post

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast