+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Unsure of what my salary expectations should be in General; ...

Thank Post

Unsure of what my salary expectations should be

Hey guys,

I am applying for a Junior IT Assistant role with a successful construction company in Northern Ireland and they have asked me what my salary expectations are and I am unsure. I have 10 GCSE's, 3 A-Levels and I recently graduated with a 2:1 in Computer Science. I am also currently doing a part-time CompTIA A+ course. I worked for a year before starting university as a temp admin assistant earning about £200 a week and I also worked in an IT Technical Support role at a university department as part of my student placement year earning around £250 a week. Since graduating in the summer I have been providing voluntary IT Support at my local secondary school whilst I try to find an ICT Technical Support job. Ideally I would like a job as an IT Technician at a school or university but as I am only starting out I am happy with any type of IT support experience although I would prefer to avoid working in a call centre environment or being a field technician that needs to travel. Can I get some advice on how I can figure out what are realistic salary expectations?

Thank Post
    Any recent similar posts advertised in any jobs papers or websites locally? Should give you a ballpark but other than that not sure.

rad
    Thank Post
    At 18 I started on £8.5k moving up to 10k for an industrial IT Assistant role. Changed jobs and went to £15k for retail.

I'd say aim for £12-13 and see what happens. No harm in asking and it is not public sector they have more flexibility.

Thank Post
    If your a graduate of Computer Science your salary should start at a much higher rate. CS students are high in demand for any IT role. I graduated last year and took a support role I asked for around 24 - 26k and ended up with 24k.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We're advertising around £16k mark for ICT Technicians, moving up to £19k for senior Techs and £26k for NM. I hate to say it though, we don't really take degrees into account (other than would be desirable), the starting salary is what it is. We're more after demonstrable skills and experience rather than bits of paper (sorry). If the OP is after a £24k starting salary and/or want to make use of his degree then IT Support probably isn't the career choice (as I found out after leaving uni). What can I say, we do it for the love of the job, not the money...

Of course this is in rural Norfolk, the job market in Northern Ireland is likely to be somewhat different. That and edu tends to pay quiet a bit under commercial. Our last tech left us for a local leasure company and has got the same salary is me
    Last edited by tmcd35; 21st January 2013 at 04:35 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 1,549 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It depends on the area etc. I was a tech at one point and got paid more than some network managers. When i started i was on £16.5k

Thank Post
    Depends on the industry and what the expectations are.

Education £12k-£13k for a starter.

Rob

Thank Post
    We've just employed a junior tech here in bournemouth on 13k5, I would expect something like that as a starter.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    We've just employed a junior tech here in bournemouth on 13k5, I would expect something like that as a starter.
    Are you LeAF?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kylewilliamson View Post
    Are you LeAF?
    Thats us. Why do you ask?

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by craigrich View Post
    If your a graduate of Computer Science your salary should start at a much higher rate. CS students are high in demand for any IT role. I graduated last year and took a support role I asked for around 24 - 26k and ended up with 24k.
    Glad to see you got what you asked for but you wouldn't have got it everywhere. I don't know many places that would take a degree into account for a support/helpdesk role.

Nothing wrong with putting a value on your time and asking for it (that's what I do, and I suspect most others here too) but you have to be realistic about understanding what the people you are talking to are after.
    Last edited by Roberto; 22nd January 2013 at 09:23 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by craigrich View Post
    And the fallacy continues. Get a degree and you're starting wage will be much higher! Only in the old professions of teaching, medical and legal. It's taken me 9 years since graduation to claw up what I would consider to be a decent salary. I can't believe recent graduates are still being sold that line!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    Get a degree and you're starting wage will be much higher! Only in the old professions of teaching, medical and legal. I can't believe recent graduates are still being sold that line!
    I don't entirely disagree but if the OP was looking in a field related to his degree then he'd probably command a higher starting salary. CS degree's are primarily about software development. 2:1 is pretty reasonable. I'm sure there are some good graduate roles out there, especially in banking, if the OP wants to do that sort of thing. Just tech support has never been valued as highly, oh-hum!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Unsure of what my salary expectations should be

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    And the fallacy continues. Get a degree and you're starting wage will be much higher! Only in the old professions of teaching, medical and legal. It's taken me 9 years since graduation to claw up what I would consider to be a decent salary. I can't believe recent graduates are still being sold that line!
    Indeed, it is very telling how little most schools value education when it is their main product.

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Indeed, it is very telling how little most schools value education when it is their main product.
    To be fair, if something isn't relevant to the role you're trying to fill then how much value should it have?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast