+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Day from Hell in General; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,675 Posts

Day from Hell

Arrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    *(%^&*%& Server
    Damn thing went wierd on Fri - was a snowday and I couldnt remote into it so I knew something was up. This morning found out that the NIC is flaky. Light on but no driver installed, apparently! Reinstalled it and was OK until server rebooted for updates and it went again. Now waiting on HP to comment on huge diagnostic download they requested. Server is 6 months out of warranty. Of course. Only odd message refers to a bus issue - anyone got any ideas? It's an HP Proliant MLsomething50
    #(£$£$%^£^ interactive whiteboard
    Old promethean. Suddenly laptop cant see it. Connected via a keyspan. Tried everything and eventually uninstalled the usb just for the heck of it -and it worked! Goodness knows why
    $%^$%^$% Netbooks
    Just *&^^%%$&%^&

Had to stay and sort out Server (is now up but precariously) and so I will be an hour and a half late going home. Which will throw everything else out

Not happy

Thank Post
    Is the NIC onboard? We've had the issue with several HP boards (but not servers) where the NIC has started to play up. Their recommendation was to remove the CMOS battery and RAM with the mains power disconnected, wait, then plug it all back in. Something to do with static buildup on the board...? Worked, anyway. Doesn't explain why you'd have a driver issue (ours just showed as it being unable to get a DHCP address).

Promethean board - black magic seems to make them work when they're flaky. That and an update to lastest driver on Windows 7.

Netbooks - yes.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Do you have any spare USB NIC's or suitable internal NICs you can install to bypass the suspected faulty one until HP gets back to you? Also might rule out a NIC/hardware fault if the same thing happens on another connection. If you're out of warranty it might be cheaper than getting HP to repair, especially if it's an onboard NIC.

Apart from that, chin up and use as many $%(£*$%*^ on here as you like to get it out of your system

Now whose passing 'round the edu-Hob Nobs?
    Last edited by tmcd35; 21st January 2013 at 02:07 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,321 Times in 803 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    Is the NIC onboard? We've had the issue with several HP boards (but not servers) where the NIC has started to play up. Their recommendation was to remove the CMOS battery and RAM with the mains power disconnected, wait, then plug it all back in. Something to do with static buildup on the board...? Worked, anyway. Doesn't explain why you'd have a driver issue (ours just showed as it being unable to get a DHCP address).
    I have certainly seen usb ports play up on desktops where simply disconnecting the power from the pc (and probably nic in this card as well) then waiting for 30 seconds resolved the problem.
    Its at least quick to test anyway.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 21st January 2013 at 02:14 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanks guys - will try your suggestions@3s-gtech. It is an onboard NIC and I don't have any others suitable.
    Have tried disconnecting the power and holding in power button etc - with no luck
    I could do with some eduhobnobs - I can't eat real ones as I am trying to be good...

It's the not knowing and not really understanding that gets me - I know my stuff empirically which means I have trouble unpicking things back to their cause.

Thank Post
    I've got a low profile Intel pro 1000 PCI adapter that you are welcome to borrow, think it's only a desktop board so might not be OK if you need it to support vlans and such, but it might get you out of a hole?

Thank Post
    Would it be suitable?

Thank Post
    Without coming and poking your setup with a stick to see if any Vlans are hiding under stones I can't say with certainty, but I expect it would be fine!

Le Edit. I have a DLink dge 550t server adapter as well which will almost certainly work.

You know where I am if you want /need to take the offer up.
    Last edited by Oaktech; 21st January 2013 at 03:00 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,447 Posts
    Take a good look at the motherboard any bulging of blown capacitors?

Ben

Thank Post
    Right
    HP say that the onboard NIC has gone and that I need to replace the motherboard.
    If I take up @Oaktech's offer - is this likely to be a permanent fix? I know no-one can tell me if it will work, what I mean is, from all your vast experience, is the motherboard going to have other problems?
    A new server NIC is going to cost me £100 odd quid but a new mother board is £600 so if I can get away with the NIC I will.
    What would I need to do in terms of configuring etc?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Day from Hell

Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Right
    HP say that the onboard NIC has gone and that I need to replace the motherboard.
    If I take up @Oaktech's offer - is this likely to be a permanent fix? I know no-one can tell me if it will work, what I mean is, from all your vast experience, is the motherboard going to have other problems?
    A new server NIC is going to cost me £100 odd quid but a new mother board is £600 so if I can get away with the NIC I will.
    What would I need to do in terms of configuring etc?
    You can get away with a new nic, possibly a little reconfiguring but not much. The motherboard would fix the issue too, supprised HP is not sending a tech ( out of warenty? ) there are tools to reset the motherboards serial numbers to be the same.

Have you tried reflashing the nic's firmware, long shot but it might work.

Anyhow if me I'd go for a new nic then maybe a new motherboard for redundancy. I'd probably go with an HP broadcom card so that you could still use all their teaming apps even the onboard ones.

Quick cheap solution, a good nic that does not offload everything to the host CPU is all you need (generally server or business workstation grade) , pci-e is possible or pci-x for bandwidth, you can choke out lesser cards on the standard PCI 32 bit bus at 1GB given what else may live on the shared PCI bus.

Intel is alright and comes with teaming (can be crashy), d-link... If it's free
    Last edited by SYNACK; 25th January 2013 at 10:45 AM.

12. Thanks to SYNACK from:

witch (25th January 2013)

Thank Post
    It is 6 months out of warranty
    I can't really afford a new motherboard so it may well be a new NIC @Oaktech - can I borrow yours pleeessssssssseeeeee

Thank Post
    Yup... no problem.

I'll PM you my mobile and you can call and pick them up.

Thank Post
    Hiyah sorry only just seen your thread ... the intel pro 1000 should work very well in your server as long as you get and load the correct drivers from Intel ... Server 2008 might even have them in already and install after youve plugged in the card ... dont forget to remove or disable the old nic from device manager if its still showing up and assign the new nic the old ones IP ... so as far as the outside world is concerned nothings changed.

Thank Post
    It seemed to me that when the problem began, the guy who came in to look at it had to do a lot more than just assign it the same IP but I was called away so I am not sure what he did. That worries me a bit...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast