+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Day from Hell in General; Originally Posted by witch It seemed to me that when the problem began, the guy who came in to look ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Day from Hell

Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    It seemed to me that when the problem began, the guy who came in to look at it had to do a lot more than just assign it the same IP but I was called away so I am not sure what he did. That worries me a bit...
    You'll need to change the IP on the existing nic before disabling it or it will get in the way, other than that unless you are using vlans or someone did something silly it should just work as all the services etc should be listening on an IP rather than an interface

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,623 Posts
    Well as it loses its drivers every time I reboot it hopefully that wont be an issue!
    No VLANs here
    I just remember him whiffling on about gateways and DNS and DHCP before I got dragged away and I am sure he had to do something else!
    TBH I dont want to take the server down and then find I can't get it going again. Probably the day before OFSTED ring!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Day from Hell

Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Well as it loses its drivers every time I reboot it hopefully that wont be an issue!
    No VLANs here
    I just remember him whiffling on about gateways and DNS and DHCP before I got dragged away and I am sure he had to do something else!
    TBH I dont want to take the server down and then find I can't get it going again. Probably the day before OFSTED ring!
    Just copy down the settings beforehand, sounds more than a tad dodgey that it drops the drivers each time. It keeps the IP settings in the registry so you may need to reinstall the old card drivers just to change the IP so the new one can have it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Just copy down the settings beforehand, sounds more than a tad dodgey that it drops the drivers each time. It keeps the IP settings in the registry so you may need to reinstall the old card drivers just to change the IP so the new one can have it.
    Also probably worth disabling onboard nic in bios when new ones in

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    Also probably worth disabling onboard nic in bios when new ones in
    Indeed, I would have got to that eventually . If they are not disabled they will just sit there using up interrupts and DMA memory pointlessly, you'd think it would not matter by now but I even had DMA issues in Windows 7 thanks to shocking hardware.

The system dropping the hardware on each boot could even be a symptom of the hardware fault. As sted points out it is very worth disabling it in bios if possible because if it fails further and starts spewing interrupts it can easily cripple the system.

Thank Post
    Obviously I need to set the IP as you said, @SYNACK, but where would the other settings go other than on the card? I am struggling with why a new card would mean any other settings are lost.
    The drivers missing is indeed symptomatic of the particular problem - that, and the message about a bus issue is where this all started and how HP came to the conclusion that the motherboard has gone
    Last edited by witch; 26th January 2013 at 07:44 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Same IP, netmask, gateway and dns settings as the old one.

If they are allready assigned to the original card which they are you'll get a box pop up telling you this but click on the option to continue anyway.

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Same IP, netmask, gateway and dns settings as the old one.

If they are allready assigned to the original card which they are you'll get a box pop up telling you this but click on the option to continue anyway.

Ben
    This ^

The last time I messed with this kind of failure the last OS I dealt with this on was XP which could barely tie it's own shoelaces without extensive hand holding. Glad to hear that later versions fixed it.

As such it should just be a case of chucking the same settings (DNS, subnet, IP) onto the new adapter and you should be fine.

Thank Post
    Yeah.....should be...but knowing my luck something will go wrong and there I'll be, with a server than won't come back up..about 10 mins before Ofsted ring, I bet

Yes, I know I am being wussy but it is at times like this that I really wish I didnt work alone....
    I am just worried about coming across something other than just the network card settings which I could cope with.
    Last edited by witch; 26th January 2013 at 07:42 PM.

Thank Post
    Looking at the manual, I think I need a PCI express card because the older cards would run at a lower bus speed that might cause an issue. Don't suppose anyone has got one they could lend me. And this would be a lend because as soon as I found out that it was OK I could give it back

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Any chance of some pictures of the machines internals?

Have you linked to the spec previously? Not sure if haven't looked.

Pm me the service tag/serial number if you want.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,866 Times in 1,384 Posts
    Blog Entries
    *Edit*

Sorry, no PCI Card here, but will check my other sources.
    Last edited by nephilim; 1st February 2013 at 04:24 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12