+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, School website during snow day in General; Well the first snow day for us of the year has come and gone - I thought I would take ...
    Thank Post

School website during snow day

Well the first snow day for us of the year has come and gone - I thought I would take a look at how our site did hits wise.

Can see the interest ramp up a little on Monday and Thursday and then kaboom welcome to Friday!

School website during snow day-capture.png

How has everyone else been then (seen all of the issues reported with SWGFL).

Thank Post
    everything with us suffered massive slowdown this morning, it was pretty dicey getting to work this morning at 7am (peak time of the heavy snow and wind here and a lot of routes closed on 2 main roads here)after I sent out the SMS to parents, I think it spiked yet again with the amount of kids checking the website to double check here

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This was @bossman's school for the past week. Not enough snowfall locally to close the school, but plenty of people checking during the 7-8am period - the two big peaks visible on the chart

School website during snow day-bbs-analytics-jan.png

Thank Post
    Yesterday, the college where I work was open for exams but closed for lessons. I was asked to put a message to this effect on the website, but the server was being swamped until about noon. No one could access the home page and I couldn't access the CMS to change the home page. The phone system had a sulk owing to the number of people phoning up. On the plus side, I reckon we picked up 100 new twitter followers yesterday as a result.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,767 Posts
    I just had a peak at the stats for my school for yesterday and they're very similar to those reported by webman. I was fascinated tos ee that 43% of traffic came through the Safari browser... and that the top two mobile devices were 1. iPad and 2. iPhone.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The update to the website in an 'emergency' is part of our Business continuity planning. Therefore our webmaster is contacted by the a nominated member of School incident management team at quite an antisocial hour to ensure the site contains pertinent information.

LGFL is our hosting provider and we did not notice any significant slow down during the last weeks' snow. A report on traffic to our site was very much in line with the examples posted here.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just looked at the Stats for ours, and the Snow day on Friday 18th showed 45,584 hits where normally it sits around anything between 5k - 9k. It didn't cope. It slowed down considerable with some timeouts but it did keep going just. I did however have to put a basic .html with a status update when it was being hit hard. This differed from other years where it just seemed to bomb out completely for a good few hours. I could still remote into the actual school itself, so it looks like the Gateway into SWGfL coped (unlike previous years) but their web platform couldn't cope.

Pete

Thank Post
    Well today is a little bit more busy for us! Have a message up at the moment inviting people to check back later for confirmation that we will be open tomorrow - looking at the roads at the moment though we probably will.

School website during snow day-capture.png

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well all school sites hosted by Cumbria County Concil have died, atleast I got my update on at 7.10am I suppose and did see the active visitors peak arround 35 on analytics before it died....

edit: and they are finally back up after posting this
    Last edited by Cache; 21st January 2013 at 09:48 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread