Poll: Are we too reliant on technology

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Is society to reliant on technology? in General; So, another 'discussion' occurred this morning where some think we are too reliant on technology and some (myself included) thinking ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries

Is society to reliant on technology?

So, another 'discussion' occurred this morning where some think we are too reliant on technology and some (myself included) thinking we're not, as it makes our lives easier and has extended life spans etc...

So, I thought I'd do a bit of a poll and see.

Thank Post
    Technology is the reason society exists!

Thank Post
    I tried googling the answer but could not find out so I am stumped, Sorry.

Rob

4. 5 Thanks to twin--turbo:

Dom_ (18th January 2013), Garacesh (18th January 2013), LosOjos (18th January 2013), PICNIC (18th January 2013), ZeroHour (18th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    I'm on the fence somewhat... don't get me wrong, I love where technology is going, I love what we've achieved so far and I'd hate to be without it. But the question was are we too reliant on it, and to some degree I think we are. I say this because many places simply have no contingency plan for when technology doesn't work - they simply come to a halt. I've been in shops for instance where the tills have stopped working. Rather than keep taking cash and accounting for it manually, they've shut the shop!

TL;DR - we probably do rely on it too much, because we don't have good contingencies in place.

[of course I am talking about the royal 'we']

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    I'm on the fence somewhat... don't get me wrong, I love where technology is going, I love what we've achieved so far and I'd hate to be without it. But the question was are we too reliant on it, and to some degree I think we are. I say this because many places simply have no contingency plan for when technology doesn't work - they simply come to a halt. I've been in shops for instance where the tills have stopped working. Rather than keep taking cash and accounting for it manually, they've shut the shop!

TL;DR - we probably do rely on it too much, because we don't have good contingencies in place.

[of course I am talking about the royal 'we']

Depends how you define technology, a manual till is still technology, as is the pen and paper and even the use of fire.

If you mean electronic technology then i see your point.

Thank Post
    Yes, because even a Bic Biro is Technology or running water to our home. But i like having technology in my life.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamH View Post
    If you mean electronic technology then i see your point.
    I assumed that's what the OP is getting at... if I'm wrong then I'm 100% reliant on technology - I've never gone out naked and killed, cooked and eaten my lunch with my bare hands!
    Last edited by LosOjos; 18th January 2013 at 11:22 AM. Reason: I don't have "bear" hands...

9. Thanks to LosOjos from:

LiamH (18th January 2013)

Thank Post
    I think that a lot of people are too relient on technology in the sense that they forget how to do things without it.
    An example (and this is NOT meant as teacher bashing), the number of times the Internet link (via county) goes down and a teacher moans saying that they can't tech. Yes it probably screwed up their lesson plans, but what happened to thinking on your feet?I would say the same about 'joe public'. The power goes off and they panic. I just make a brew (camping stoves) and listen to the radio (battery/solar). At work there are plenty of jobs I can do if the power went.
    So in that respect I think yes we are too relient on technology.
    Alan

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I mean 'modern technology', so not just electronic stuff, but not as extreme as including a lock and key.

My argument is that technology is what has made the society we live in what it is. Life expectancies are longer than ever, the vast majority of people can feed themselves etc...

We can get information about anything pretty much instantly.

Some of the arguments I've had against it are that people are always in communication with their work so don't get a proper home/work life (ie. getting work emails on their phones etc...) but I just classify that sort of thing as being 'idiots not turning their phones off'.

Contingency is another human issue, not a problem with technology. Planning is a key part of any system.

If we have a power cut for 2 days, the vast majority of people can still figure out how to get fed - there is cold food, or go to someone who has a gas cooker etc... So we have our own individual contingency plans, so businesses should too.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by salan View Post
    The power goes off and they panic.
    I admit, I've done that.

Not panic... just forget.

Power goes off > sitting about reading > Oh! I'm going to play some $game > buffering > I'm an idiot.

Thank Post
    This came up for us yesterday, are we relying too much on technology in regards to teaching. - I voted Yes. And I think everyone in the meeting would also agree, sadly though people want technology. As a result teachers have to use it at their benefit or what? Simply allow their school to sit still while others have it? If its a tool that actually benefits education I would say its well worth it.

I am not a fan of whiteboards/projectors but our new management is hell bent on having them in every classroom and must be used, especially in the core subjects. I still question if it actually benefits education but at the end of the day they are teachers and know better?

Thank Post
    I question the validity of a poll that asks whether society is reliant on Technology, when said poll is being asked on an online forum..

Thank Post
    Too many people are obsessed with technology. How many of you walk along the road, not looking where you are going, intently staring at your mobile phone? How many grab it, the moment it rings? In my last school, I was allowed to confiscate phones until the end of the day, and I took great pleasure in doing so. Judging by the tears, you'd have thought I had cut off an arm. I used to have a mobile, but I got better about 5 years ago and you know, I've never missed it. Sure friends complain that they can't instantly reach me, but they can always call the perfectly good phone that it attached to my lounge room wall and if I'm not there, leave a message.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,169 Times in 1,604 Posts
    Is society to reliant on technology?
    It's TOO reliant on spell-checkers

17. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

mats (18th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    It's TOO reliant on spell-checkers
    Lol, my brain slips up occasionally. I shall flog myself to remedy the situation.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast