+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Are you still on Windows XP? If so Why? in General; Originally Posted by CyberNerd I try and get apps running on as many devices as possible. If someone ever buys ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,696 Times in 2,286 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I try and get apps running on as many devices as possible. If someone ever buys an RT device then it is welcome in our school along with the androids (majority), ipads, chromebooks, osx's and windows computers. Like I said - I believe apps should be as vendor neutral as possible.
    Fan of Java? That was their whole claim to fame, now of course it is a platform that makes exploits as vendor neutral as possible :-)

It did vendor neutral better than any browser though, html5 is still an inferrior bastardised document markup language like PDF on steroids.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 19th January 2013 at 01:06 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,971 Posts
    I lean towards browser based applications because I feel that there is a lot to be gained from having educational apps in a platform independent environment.
    What do your users do when...

Do they freak out or just deal with it?

With cloud-based solutions you have practically zero control over the front-end interface anyway.

Changing operating systems causes havoc for end users who don't like change.
    It's completely unreasonable to expect things to stay the same forever (this applies to everything from apps and websites to OSs). Users should learn to adapt rather than be resistant to change. It will benefit them in the long run.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I just don't upgrade OS's to every release - and nor do many of the people on this thread.
    This is starting to look like a personal attack now.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom7000 View Post
    The school have now decided with RM that they will go for the full conversion to CC4 (Hopefully with Windows 8, but looking more and more likely that it will be Windows 7) this summer.
    Oh god no, do yourself a favour and don't do it (CC4). I moved to school that has CC4 after working in schools with vanilla networks for 12 years....I long for the day I can work on a vanilla domain again. I hate the fact that every time an update is applied to fix one thing something else breaks, you can't fix it yourself and you are beholden to RM support at the extortionate costs they charge for annual support subscriptions!

Ben

Thank Post
    We encourage staff and students to bring in their own device and learn on whatever they feel comfortable with.
    We are going to do this soon too, but once XP support ends where does that leave end-users who prefer this OS and are unable to (or refuse to) upgrade to something more modern? Do they get left behind?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bgarston View Post
    Oh god no, do yourself a favour and don't do it (CC4). I moved to school that has CC4 after working in schools with vanilla networks for 12 years....I long for the day I can work on a vanilla domain again. I hate the fact that every time an update is applied to fix one thing something else breaks, you can't fix it yourself and you are beholden to RM support at the extortionate costs they charge for annual support subscriptions!

Ben
    Err... I thought it was common knowledge around these parts that I work for RM.

Also, albeit I have no experience with CC4, love it or hate it, I have no say in the matter as the LA have signed a managed service contract with RM till 2017, which is why I am an RM employee.

I would love to be able to work with a vanilla network for professional development purposes, but as I said, it's not a decision that I can change.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    We are going to do this soon too, but once XP support ends where does that leave end-users who prefer this OS and are unable to (or refuse to) upgrade to something more modern? Do they get left behind?
    You'll end up recommending browsers and plugins. It will be up to the end user if they want to continue using XP. Chrome , Firefox and Citrix receiver are still supported on XPSP2 when this changes we'll have a few more problems.

Thank Post
    We went from XP to Windows 7 over the summer, there is still the odd staff laptop running XP.
    No plans to look at Windows 8 until the first SP though.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,696 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyc View Post
    We went from XP to Windows 7 over the summer, there is still the odd staff laptop running XP.
    There is a good chance there wont be a service pack at all.

Thank Post
    We are still on xp at the moment. Basically down to the fact we have about 30-40 pcs that won't take Win 7. We are about to replace them and will be moving over to Win 7 and Office 2013 during Easter holiday's.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyc View Post
    I think they are going to a 2 yearly release cycle so most likely the next release will be Windows 9 late next year.

Thank Post
    The next major update to Windows is due to be released mid-2013 according to the rumours (so not long to wait).

Thank Post
    We rolled out Win7 2 Summers ago now to 700~ machines at one secondary, 500~ machines at another secondary and 100~ machines at the primary we look after. No XP left at any of the sites

Gotta love WDS

Thank Post
    We have 350 XP computers and 120 W7 netbooks. The XP machines are going to be updated during term time as of next month...

Thank Post
    We're still XP/2003 here (roughly 150 clients for the lot, that includes laptops/netbooks.) Originally the plan was to upgrade to 7/2008R2 but then my boss decided after dealing with it/setting it up at his other schools it was "a sack of $h1t" and didn't want to do Windows 7 - then of course 8 was released, so the next plan was to upgrade to that (which wouldn't have gone smoothly as we'd already bought Server08 and not 12) - now my boss has decided that Windows 8 is too "hand wavey washy/touch-screen related and all the important bits we need are hidden away" and so he's reluctantly decided to go back to upgrading to Windows 7.

Don't know if I'm coming or going! To be honest I think the only reason we've been on XP for so long is because it's just so 'graphic-y' and kid friendly. When you have pupils that don't even know their surname, keeping it kid-friendly is a vital thing to have (I should point out we're a small primary.) We should hopefully be upgrading to Windows 7 at the start of the summer term, or we will do it during the summer hols. Though we've had our copy of Server 2008 since last summer and we've only just started migrating tic-tac chunks (I say we, I mean my boss. me no allow touchy )
    Last edited by Fleetwood; 22nd January 2013 at 09:44 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast