+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Are you still on Windows XP? If so Why? in General; Will bne fully 7 after this summer. Hung on to XP on Curric simply because there was no real need ...
    Thank Post
    Will bne fully 7 after this summer. Hung on to XP on Curric simply because there was no real need to migrate, so didn't as we didn't want to re-image everything in a really busy summer, plus doing so prior to EES would have been expensive as a one-off. Won't touch 8 until at least after its first SP, and from what I've seen can see no reason to move anyway.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have about a dozen machines on XP out of 270, mainly because the staff have so much stuff scattered over them since they were in use before I started and trying to arrange a time to migrate the stuff and rebuild the computer is hard to do with census and other returns which are constantly popping up.

We did the main migration summer just gone, not planning to upgrade to Windows 8 anytime soon though.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,677 Times in 1,459 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Won't touch 8 until at least after its first SP, and from what I've seen can see no reason to move anyway.
    If there is ever one you will be waiting a long time. Microsoft a phasing them out.

If we upgrade workstations to 8 people will be used to Windows tablets. Also the interface works good with our touch screens.
    Last edited by FN-GM; 18th January 2013 at 08:19 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    If there is ever one you will be waiting a long time. Microsoft a phasing them out.
    Indeed. Windows 9 will be SP1 for windows 8 I'll still wait for SP1...or 2
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    If we upgrade workstations to 8 people will be used to Windows tablets. Also the interface works good with our touch screens.
    most people can already use touchscreens, and you'll be able to plug the OS directly into the monitor before long
    Last edited by CyberNerd; 19th January 2013 at 12:20 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Indeed. Windows 9 will be SP1 for windows 8 I'll still wait for SP1...or 2

most people can already use touchscreens, and you'll be able to plug the OS directly into the monitor before long
    Rubbish, you'd still be using 2k if they'd let you

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,878 Times in 1,396 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One of my old places was one of the first schools to change over to Windows 7 (the suite was opened the day W7 was out). Another one switched around 6 months after Windows 7 came out. Most places I've worked switched over really quickly, not through my choice (I'd have waited personally) but hey ho.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Rubbish, you'd still be using 2k if they'd let you
    If it was supported and ran the apps we need then yes. I think operating systems are overrated, particularly on this forum. Users don't really care about their operating system - they just want to get things done with minimal fuss. My primary motivation for migrating from XP is because there is better support options for applications and drivers on win7.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    I think operating systems are overrated
    Do you use decade old Linux distros as well then? e.g. Debian 3.0 and Ubuntu 4.10.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Do you use decade old Linux distros as well then? e.g. Debian 3.0 and Ubuntu 4.10.
    clearly not - it's about the support and the apps. If applications, bug fixes and driver support was available then I'd happily run those. Changing operating systems causes havoc for end users who don't like change. I try and minimise disruption for end users where I can so jumping on every windows release isn't my prerogative. I'd sooner spend more time making sure applications were available to users regardless of the operating system they use.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If it was supported and ran the apps we need then yes. I think operating systems are overrated, particularly on this forum. Users don't really care about their operating system - they just want to get things done with minimal fuss. My primary motivation for migrating from XP is because there is better support options for applications and drivers on win7.
    Users do care when their OS is completely foreign and unprecedented to them along with looking like it came from the stone age with 16 colours.

The forum may like new OSes and the enhanced managabiliy and reliability simply for the ease of management and efficiency for the schools. You definitely lean in the other direction completely dismissing the OS and attempting to push everything to external providers or services that buy into the even more clickish browser as an OS, WebKit or nothing crowd.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 19th January 2013 at 12:17 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    clearly not - it's about the support and the apps. If applications, bug fixes and driver support was available then I'd happily run those. Changing operating systems causes havoc for end users who don't like change. I try and minimise disruption for end users where I can so jumping on every windows release isn't my prerogative. I'd sooner spend more time making sure applications were available to users regardless of the operating system they use.
    What about the new users, you are sacrificing these users experience to help the others from avoiding learning, as it is a school filled with young people and only a few teachers (comparitivly) are you not doing greater harm by serving the few and forcing the many to use museum antiquities for their education.

Do you still teach math on abacuses and write on chalk slates.

12. 2 Thanks to SYNACK:

Arthur (19th January 2013), FN-GM (19th January 2013)

Thank Post
    What about the new users, you are sacrificing these users experience to help the others from avoiding learning, as it is a school filled with young people and only a few teachers (comparitivly) are you not doing greater harm by serving the few and forcing the many to use museum antiquities for their education.
    Learning how to use an operating system is not the objective in our school. We encourage staff and students to bring in their own device and learn on whatever they feel comfortable with. My primary role is to provide access to educational applications on whatever platform they choose. If our core school owned computers run Win7 in 5 yrs time and it is secure, manageable and provides end users with the application that they need then that would be great. I would prefer staff and students spend their time learning and using the applications that we provide than where MS decide to move a launcher. I see the operating system as a platform for launching apps, and it should be as simple as possible. CHange for change sake is rarely a good thing.

Thank Post

The forum may like new OSes and the enhanced managabiliy and reliability simply for the ease of management and efficiency for the schools. You definitely lean in the other direction completely dismissing the OS and attempting to push everything to external providers or services that buy into the even more clickish browser as an OS, WebKit or nothing crowd.
    I'm not completely dismissing operating system GUI's - but you are right that I lean towards browser based applications because I feel that their is a lot to be gained from having educational apps in a platform independent environment. I believe it is good that children can learn using ICT and if they can do this on a variety of platforms then this is also good.

15. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

SYNACK (19th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Learning how to use an operating system is not the objective in our school. We encourage staff and students to bring in their own device and learn on whatever they feel comfortable with. My primary role is to provide access to educational applications on whatever platform they choose. If our core school owned computers run Win7 in 5 yrs time and it is secure, manageable and provides end users with the application that they need then that would be great. I would prefer staff and students spend their time learning and using the applications that we provide than where MS decide to move a launcher. I see the operating system as a platform for launching apps, and it should be as simple as possible. CHange for change sake is rarely a good thing.
    You're obviously not a member of the Firefox or chrome dev teams then, that is their entire modus operandi. Still if your hardware is running old versions you are still making them learn, just MS's history rather than the modern ui guidelines of what they are probably running at home. Given your views would you even support a Windows RT device or would you browser snob it and demand they use chrome under xp or an android variant. As much as I hate Apple devices I do make the pathetic things work with our gear.

Thank Post
    . Given your views would you even support a Windows RT device or would you browser snob it and demand they use chrome under xp or an android variant. As much as I hate Apple devices I do make the pathetic things work with our gear.
    I try and get apps running on as many devices as possible. If someone ever buys an RT device then it is welcome in our school along with the androids (majority), ipads, chromebooks, osx's and windows computers. Like I said - I believe apps should be as vendor neutral as possible.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast