+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Blockbuster - Another one bites the dust... in General; Originally Posted by X-13 I like consoles. It means I can just sit down and play a game without worrying ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    I like consoles. It means I can just sit down and play a game without worrying about whether my graphics card can handle the game without blowing up [I didn't want to play Chrysis anyway...] or whether game A conflicts with software B.
    Never known or worried about games to conflict with software? (Unless you play on a Mac or Linux I guess)

I'm fickle with consoles. I like the idea of them but then 3 months down the line, they are never touched so sold on eBay!

PC gaming FTW.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    @mmoseley @Oaktech @gshaw @rich_tech I use BitsBox - UK based, extremely helpful and quick to respond to email, very cheap and have the vast majority of stuff a hobbyist needs.Like you all said, it is handy to be able to grab a part from Maplin but how often do you need a part in an emergency as a hobbyist?
    Not so much emergency, but sometimes I just want a part now, rather than waiting. I've found Maplin less and less useful for that (last one was bead thermistors with a range up to 300 deg C). Often even when they have a component they only have one or two. On the other hand, they can be useful - their mixed boxes of components (caps, resistors etc) are actually good value and surprisingly useful to have around. Online I find Rapid little better than Maplin, Farnell is generally my first port of call with very reasonable and quick delivery.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    WHSmith are profitable (>80m), always busy. Besides, they have an exclusivity on the Kobo Arc which I want for my birthday.
    Maplins? Again, they have a high mark-up, they stock a lot of staple stuff which doesn't date or subject to trends and fads, so these will probably last the course.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 17th January 2013 at 10:23 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    Never known or worried about games to conflict with software? (Unless you play on a Mac or Linux I guess)
    I've had issues before.

I can't remember what it was [It was that good...] but all I remember was that it was a nightmare to run.

Another game I had installed used the same files and when you ran one it locked out the other until you did a repair install for the one you wanted to play.

I've also had to uninstall flash to get an indie game running before [And install a much older version] because the game seemed to check for a specific version and refused to load if it wasn't EXACTLY the same. Strangely... it didn't even NEED flash as far as I could tell.
    Last edited by X-13; 17th January 2013 at 10:27 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    The console market has shrunk over the last couple of decades, going from the wild days of old where there were loads of consoles, to the current day when there are 2 main contenders really, plus a cheaper one too. The game prices for them don't help either, nor do the online purchase of those games now being a possibility. Not to mention, the PC games market has gone back into growth quite significantly, while the console market has been shrinking consistently over the last few years - but GAME have failed to notice or do anything about it.
    To the contrary, I actually thing the console market is entering it's most exciting period. It could almost be the wild frontiers of the pre-83 crash years or early 90's all over again. Both the big players have noticed this to and in some ways are actually leading the change with Xbox Live Arcade and Playstation Network. Wii has Wiiware, the steam console is on the horizon, as is Ouya. OnLive is somehow still hanging in there. Ouya could give them a shot in the arm. Sony have Gaikai lined up for PS4 (an OnLive rival). Even the Apple-TV and iPad make an interesting gaming combo. Over the past year or so it's indie games like (the excellent) Limbo that seem to be attracting the attention. A change pretty much bought on by the iPad and is what Ouya appear to be aiming squarely for.

For Game this is bad news as all these business models revolve around cheap (5-10) downloads or monthly subscriptions. Triple-A titles will still sell but even they (if somewhat over priced) are released in online stores now.

Back on topic, I think bricks and mortar video shops have been struggling against Sky and Virgin for years. Digital TV (more channels) and then VoD has left pretty much Blockbuster and Choices as the only players left. Lovefilm and Netflix have since come along and put the final nails in their coffins. Same as iTunes to HMV really.

I Love my streaming only Lovefilm subscription. I find I watch a greater variety of movies on a whim now.

The silver lining on the cloud is that they will have a closing down sale - maybe I can get some cheap games

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    GAME will be truly stuffed once the next gen comes out
    Unless the rumours of the console detecting and refusing to play second-hand games are true.

Then not many people will buy them. [Judging by reactions on EVERY article I've seem mentioning them.]

Das EDIT: I somehow misread that as GAME will be stuffed UNTIL next gen.
    Last edited by X-13; 17th January 2013 at 11:14 AM.

Thank Post
    Game are still on the way down. Taunton store is closing next week. They "say" it's due to an issue with being unable to renew the building lease in time, but considering there are a fair few empty shops in Taunton already, I can't imagine it being too hard to relocate.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 852 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Unless the rumours of the console detecting and refusing to play second-hand games are true.

Then not many people will buy them. [Judging by reactions on EVERY article I've seem mentioning them.]
    Comments on the internet from gamers about boycotts aren't worth the paper they're written on, and they're not written on paper. Famous example.
    Last edited by sonofsanta; 17th January 2013 at 12:06 PM.

Thank Post
    I dont know about everybody else but I enjoy my movies on Blue Ray not only for the HD picture but the DTS master audio or dolby true HD ... I watched Ghost Protocol last night with Dolby true HD 7 channel audio ... Amazing sound and streets ahead of standard Dolby 5.1 ... So I will not be streaming my films until they get to the same standard ..

10. Thanks to Brpilot99 from:

dave.81 (17th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 729 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brpilot99 View Post
    I dont know about everybody else but I enjoy my movies on Blue Ray not only for the HD picture but the DTS master audio or dolby true HD ... I watched Ghost Protocol last night with Dolby true HD 7 channel audio ... Amazing sound and streets ahead of standard Dolby 5.1 ... So I will not be streaming my films until they get to the same standard ..
    I definitely agree, but I have different expectations depending on the film...

- New films that I think look awesome, I go to the cinema
    - New films that look okay, I stream
    - Old films I'm unsure/haven't heard of, I either buy cheap on DVD or stream
    - Any film I've seen and love, I buy on BluRay to get the better picture and audio

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,388 Times in 1,768 Posts
    EE to close 78 retail stores

UK LTE carrier EE has announced that it will close 78 of its retail locations across the country in order to cut costs. The company found itself with numerous outlets located within close proximity to each other after the Orange and T-Mobile merger — some even side by side — so the reduction in numbers shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise. EE says there are other practical considerations, though, such as low footfall in certain areas as well as the decision not to renew specific leases that are due to expire.

Staff members at the affected stores won’t be losing their jobs either. Front line employees will be moved to different locations, which EE says should help "boost service levels significantly." The situation is somewhat murkier for managers, however. Only one manager is present in each retail location, so the ones affected by the closures can’t simply be moved across to a new store. Instead, EE says that it will "redeploy" managers where necessary, but it’s currently unclear as to what that will entail.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brpilot99 View Post
    Completely agree, i've never once been impressed with so called HD streaming and the sound is always lacking. I didn't buy a decent surround sound system to listen to films in stereo.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,785 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I must be weird, I don't really care whether something is HD or not. I don't have fancy speakers or the like, and don't really enjoy surround sound particularly, so none of that bothers me. I just want to see the movie clearly and that'll do me fine.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 852 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    Always awful for the staff who end up loosing their jobs. We popped into Comet when it was closing down and the store was just a shell with about 30 iytems dumped in the corner. All the staff were in too stood around looking depressed (which is not really surprising).

Any predictions who (if any) could go next? Not sure how Argos is doing exactly, but I could see them closing a few stores in the future if the high street continues the way it's going...
    BBC News - Argos sees successful transition to click-and-collect

Argos is picking up, apparently. There may well be some correlation between their performance and the fact they've actually embraced an online model, instead of sticking their heads in the sand and hoping the internet will go away.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I must be weird, I don't really care whether something is HD or not. I don't have fancy speakers or the like, and don't really enjoy surround sound particularly, so none of that bothers me. I just want to see the movie clearly and that'll do me fine.
    I don't have surround sound either, but when I watch Blu-Rays, I really can see the difference and enjoy watching a film more so, especially if it's in the sci-fi/action/war genera. I'm more about picture quality than sound anyway. It's odd though has the wife swears blind that she cannot notice any difference at all between a DVD or Blu-Ray.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast