+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Blockbuster - Another one bites the dust... in General; Originally Posted by CAM The games industry is a funny one though. Consumers will happily let themselves be ripped off ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    The games industry is a funny one though. Consumers will happily let themselves be ripped off for the sake of convenience online and then ripped off again as companies go for the double dip. Some of the products aren't even finished and publishers are actively seeking to force consumers to use their distribution platforms and shut down the second hand market which makes up such a large portion of the brick and mortar retailer's income.
    Very true. The PC second hand market has never been overly amazing though to be honest. I can't think of anyone I know who has ever sold on a PC game. So, things like Steam are taking that market. But the main reason, IMO, that GAME will be suffering is the way the console market now is.

The console market has shrunk over the last couple of decades, going from the wild days of old where there were loads of consoles, to the current day when there are 2 main contenders really, plus a cheaper one too. The game prices for them don't help either, nor do the online purchase of those games now being a possibility. Not to mention, the PC games market has gone back into growth quite significantly, while the console market has been shrinking consistently over the last few years - but GAME have failed to notice or do anything about it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,399 Times in 962 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Very true. The PC second hand market has never been overly amazing though to be honest. I can't think of anyone I know who has ever sold on a PC game. So, things like Steam are taking that market. But the main reason, IMO, that GAME will be suffering is the way the console market now is.

The console market has shrunk over the last couple of decades, going from the wild days of old where there were loads of consoles, to the current day when there are 2 main contenders really, plus a cheaper one too. The game prices for them don't help either, nor do the online purchase of those games now being a possibility. Not to mention, the PC games market has gone back into growth quite significantly, while the console market has been shrinking consistently over the last few years - but GAME have failed to notice or do anything about it.
    I'd be interested to know which of the three multi-million selling consoles you don't consider a main contender...

GAME will be truly stuffed once the next gen comes out - normally that provides a boost, but with Sony having bought Gaikai, even the consoles are going to move much more towards online-streaming and -purchasing.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    XBox360 and PS3 are still going strong despite their age. I think they are suffering from the Windows XP effect, they've been around so long that no-one wants to move on from them. The Wii was already subpar in comparison to the two lead contenders and the Wii-U has seen slower then expected uptake. Recycling the name of a console with a bad rep amongst gamers probably wasn't the best idea!

Handheld might hang around a bit longer as Nintendo's DS family still have a strong lead over Sony's Vita in price and back catalogue, plus Microsoft have virtually no sniff at this market. The main threat will be tablets and mobile phones for gaming but thankfully they are still seen as Zynga profit pits then full fledged games machines despite a number of proper titles being released for tablets. It'll be interesting to see if Nintendo expand the 3DS store.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    I'd be interested to know which of the three multi-million selling consoles you don't consider a main contender...

GAME will be truly stuffed once the next gen comes out - normally that provides a boost, but with Sony having bought Gaikai, even the consoles are going to move much more towards online-streaming and -purchasing.
    The Wii. As far as I know, their game sales have not been as high as for the Xbox 360 or PS3 afaik. Of the half dozen people in our school offices who bought them, only 1 has continued to use theirs past the first couple of months, as an example. Only that person bought any more games than they did at the original purchase time also.

Thank Post
    What annoys me from the story on Blockbuster is the assumption that every streams there movies now. No the fecking well dont!!! In the evenings i'm lucky to get 0.3m no streaming going on here. I use Blockbuster postal service and it's great latest films in HD, better range than lovefilm and i dont have to watch some poor quaility blocky streamed film.

I hope someone buys them out and keeps it going or my lovely TV and surround sound will be left watching crappy telly.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dave.81 View Post
    What annoys me from the story on Blockbuster is the assumption that every streams there movies now. No the fecking well dont!!! In the evenings i'm lucky to get 0.3m no streaming going on here. I use Blockbuster postal service and it's great latest films in HD, better range than lovefilm and i dont have to watch some poor quaility blocky streamed film.

I hope someone buys them out and keeps it going or my lovely TV and surround sound will be left watching crappy telly.
    Or you could use iLoveFilm?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The Wii. As far as I know, their game sales have not been as high as for the Xbox 360 or PS3 afaik. Of the half dozen people in our school offices who bought them, only 1 has continued to use theirs past the first couple of months, as an example. Only that person bought any more games than they did at the original purchase time also.
    I'll agree that the Wii should be considered differently to the the others, but only in the respect that it sound sold gajillions more in hardware terms than the others. It certainly didn't have the attach rate of the PS3 & 360, but with Nintendo making a profit for each Wii sold, not a loss as MS & Sony did (and Nintendo in the past), I'm not sure they minded.

It does feel weird going back to the Wii now as well - just powered mine up for the first time in god knows how many months to play Skyward Sword, and by god the waggle controls are annoying me.

Wii-U is a bit too new to see how it pans out, but I think its problem will be that the concept is not so straightforward to grasp. A remote that could tell how you were moving, easy. A tablet that's a controller that one person has while the other four have Wii Remotes and it also has tilt and it can play without the TV - not quite as straightforward to explain to non-gamers, that.

I reckon mobile gaming is dead on it's backside now mobile phones are so powerful as well; they'll get pushed out in the same way as compact cameras are, except even more dramatically and with a smaller initial base to go down from.
    Last edited by sonofsanta; 17th January 2013 at 09:27 AM.

Thank Post
    Or you could use iLoveFilm?
    I'm guessing you mean Lovefilm, i was with them for years but when Amazon bought them they lost a range of new realises due to a feud between amazon and universal films. Outcome being no new universal film releases on lovefilm. So i left

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,903 Times in 1,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I reckon mobile gaming is dead on it's backside now mobile phones are so powerful as well; they'll get pushed out in the same way as compact cameras are, except even more dramatically and with a smaller initial base to go down from.
    Ninty just announced Pokemon for the 3DS. Mobile gaming is still going strong.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'll agree that the Wii should be considered differently to the the others, but only in the respect that it sound gajillions more in hardware terms than the others. It certainly didn't have the attach rate of the PS3 & 360, but with Nintendo making a profit for each Wii sold, not a loss as MS & Sony did (and Nintendo in the past), I'm not sure they minded.

It does feel weird going back to the Wii now as well - just powered mine up for the first time in god knows how many months to play Skyward Sword, and by god the waggle controls are annoying me.

Wii-U is a bit too new to see how it pans out, but I think its problem will be that the concept is not so straightforward to grasp. A remote that could tell how you were moving, easy. A tablet that's a controller that one person has while the other four have Wii Remotes and it also has tilt and it can play without the TV - not quite as straightforward to explain to non-gamers, that.

Nintendo are making heavy losses, so they aren't doing too well...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 794 Posts
    @mmoseley @Oaktech @gshaw @rich_tech I use BitsBox - UK based, extremely helpful and quick to respond to email, very cheap and have the vast majority of stuff a hobbyist needs.Like you all said, it is handy to be able to grab a part from Maplin but how often do you need a part in an emergency as a hobbyist? The way I see it, Maplin are aimed at hobbyists due to the fact the likes of Farnell and RS have much better prices, especially on bulk, for businesses.
    Last edited by LosOjos; 17th January 2013 at 09:44 AM.

12. Thanks to LosOjos from:

Oaktech (17th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Nintendo are making heavy losses, so they aren't doing too well...
    They've still got an enormous war chest to keep them going for years yet, though - most recent figure I can see is $10.5 billion reported last February. Rumours of their demise have been premature in the past (GameCube vs PS2), and even if they really do, finally, fall out of hardware in the style of Sega, they'll continue to have enormous success selling us all Mario & Zelda games for decades yet.

Anyway, all entirely off topic and irrelevant besides, because clearly PC gaming is best
    Last edited by sonofsanta; 17th January 2013 at 09:54 AM. Reason: WHY CAN I NOT TYPE THIS MORNING

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Anyway, all entirely off topic and irrelevant besides, because clearly PC gaming is best
    Totally agree. I hate consoles. Just can't be doing with them. I fear I have an addiction though, to buying games on Steam.

Maybe there needs to be a support group set up?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Totally agree. I hate consoles. Just can't be doing with them. I fear I have an addiction though, to buying games on Steam.

Maybe there needs to be a support group set up?
    "My name is Matt, and I first gave my card details to Steam in 2009. Since then, I... I just can't stop "

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,903 Times in 1,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hate consoles. Just can't be doing with them.
    I like consoles. It means I can just sit down and play a game without worrying about whether my graphics card can handle the game without blowing up [I didn't want to play Chrysis anyway...] or whether game A conflicts with software B.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast