+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, HMV goes bang in General; Seeing it flash up on BBC news website now, appointing administrators in the next few days, hardly a surprise really, ...
    Thank Post

HMV goes bang

Seeing it flash up on BBC news website now, appointing administrators in the next few days, hardly a surprise really, given the sales I saw in there recently.

Thank Post
    Last edited by Devontechie; 14th January 2013 at 08:42 PM.

Thank Post
    Not surprised to be honest, their prices have been extortionately high for years..
    No doubt it will be blamed in "internet sales" and "illegal downloads" , but to be honest, if they didn't charge between £15-£20 an Album, they may still be trading comfortably alongside the internet sales, and illegal downloads would be limited..

And this goes for all music shops and the entire entertainment industry....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I popped in to my local HMV on the weekend and it was packed, with a large queue. It seemed to be thriving.

Anyway, I went into a large Currys/PC World and would have lost a 'spot the customer' game. Rows and rows of laptops, Hifis and TVs and nobody there. Not a soul.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    I popped in to my local HMV on the weekend and it was packed, with a large queue. It seemed to be thriving.

Anyway, I went into a large Currys/PC World and would have lost a 'spot the customer' game. Rows and rows of laptops, Hifis and TVs and nobody there. Not a soul.
    And yet we've seen the exact opposite around Manchester the last couple of weeks..

Thank Post
    I can believe them going bust, I popped in one in Birmingham the other day and the format basically was the same as any other store, in that DVDs and Blu-Rays that have been out for years are still trying to be sold for about £4-7 a piece, whereas the new stuff was about 12 for a DVD and a bit more for the blu-ray. Shop locally is always busy, but then in a large unit here, you have 5 tills total and only ever about 3 people serving customers.

Feel for the people working there same as Jessops, they pay for management mistakes really in operating.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    And yet we've seen the exact opposite around Manchester the last couple of weeks..
    Ours never seems to be that busy really.. If it is, it is coz there is only 1 person on the tills! lol!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't understand HMV. They've had a decade to get their act together and to get in on the digital economy yet they've sat as a ridiculous old world brick and mortar store chain selling the same old stuff.

Although, they have reduced the variety of stock they hold, meaning people have less reasons to go there. They have also taken to stocking 500 types of headphones, and 15 different models of tablet PC and laptop in the store I was in a few weeks ago.

I'm surprised they've lasted this long.

Thank Post
    I used to love popping into hmv, row upon row of music, little stands for listening to new albums. Nowadays i struggle to spot anything more than the top 10 singles chart and a TINY album selection! Its all video games, t-shirts and electronic gadgets, and everything over priced gone way downhill

Thank Post
    its not suppressing to be honest.. places like pc world are going to get through this as they sell a range of stuff and not everyone wants to buy that stuff offline, but dvds cds ect people by offline, legaly download or torrent

Thank Post
    gunna miss walking in there and browsing and easily spending £50 each visit.

Lots are moaning about prices but I found them cheaper than online sometimes.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm still a CD buyer but a lot of my recent purchases have been at gigs. I still tend to impulse buy DVDs and games in HMV though. I still buy portable titles like DS or Vita in a store. That is where their really power should have been, the people with wallets that jump at the nearest sale sign.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Online shopper here, but you simply cant beat looking through the shelves to find something you didn't know existed.

rad
    Thank Post
    Richard Branson pulled out from the market ages ago. He knew back then. I'm not sure how they survived this long, what with Netflix, iTunes etc they didn't have much hope really

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Online shopper here, but you simply cant beat looking through the shelves to find something you didn't know existed.
    Yeah you can. That's the beauty of things like Spotify and Grooveshark - they give recommendations based on what you're playing. I've found quite a few bands that way. Online streams are another great way (ie. gaming streams where they're playing music so you find new stuff there, or online radio stations).

With the way HMV changed their stores, you couldn't go in and browse anyway - they had hardly anything to browse.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast