+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, HMV goes bang in General; Well done Eric. What should happen now is that through the power of social media [ although I am not ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Well done Eric. What should happen now is that through the power of social media [ although I am not a fan ] - people with vouchers should all go into a store and stage a sit in until they get what they want from their vouchers.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Well done Eric. What should happen now is that through the power of social media [ although I am not a fan ] - people with vouchers should all go into a store and stage a sit in until they get what they want from their vouchers.
    Would put a new spin on the "Flash Mob" phenomenon!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    you'd close them down even faster that way it would be like a run on the banks in a way.(making it less likely every one will get there vouchers worth)

tho I do agree its not fair for the customer to lose out via a voucher they should be the first to be baled out.[Get at least there moneys worth]
    Last edited by januttall; 17th January 2013 at 02:46 PM.

Thank Post
    The issue with the Grandad 'stealing' story is that is HMV Ireland. I was informed that they are a separate entity and have not called in administration. In fact Ireland has no administration process, they have a different system all together.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,004 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    the purchaser of a Gift Card/Voucher has already coughed up the money for the card, so they should be entitled to goods up to the value on the card.
    Vouchers and gift cards usually have a cash value of 0.00001p (it says so it in the small print on the back). The reason they are popular with retailers is because most of them never end up getting used (so it's essentially free money for them). That fact that you can buy a £25 iTunes gift card for £20 should tell you something.

Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    I'd bought my grandson a voucher which HMV/the vendor knew was going to be worthless.
    What's wrong with good old fashioned cash which can be spent in every single shop in the UK and doesn't expire after a year or two?
    Last edited by Arthur; 17th January 2013 at 03:19 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    The issue with the Grandad 'stealing' story is that is HMV Ireland. I was informed that they are a separate entity and have not called in administration. In fact Ireland has no administration process, they have a different system all together.
    @TechMonkey HMV in Ireland have been put into receivership and from reading this page on the BBC news site (BBC News - Irish HMV staff stage sit-in protest as 16 stores close), the directors of HMV have requested that the Irish operation is closed down the 16 stores that employ about 300 people.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Vouchers and gift cards usually have a cash value of 0.00001p (it says so it in the small print on the back). The reason they are popular with retailers is because most of them never end up getting used (so it's essentially free money for them). That fact that you can buy a £25 iTunes gift card for £20 should tell you something.

What's wrong with good old fashioned cash which can be spent in every single shop in the UK and doesn't expire after a year or two?
    Nothing's wrong with good old cash.........HMV accepted it for one of their Vouchers, so what's wrong with honouring the Voucher?

Why should voucher holders/puchasers be last in the queue when it comes to reimbursement?

Like X-13, I don't give a toss about the 'Unsecured Creditors' crap, HMV took money for vouchers, when they knew full well they were going into receivership, they should honour the vouchers, full stop. Anything else is just corporate sharp practice at best, and stealing at worst.

But, oh gosh, these people are Company Directors and they live in big houses and drive big cars, surely they're too respectable to be guilty of sharp practice or stealing, aren't they?

If you're trying to say, 'Why didn't that old man give his grandson cash?', then you'd have to ask him, not me or us.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM
    Online shopper here, but you simply cant beat looking through the shelves to find something you didn't know existed.
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Yeah you can. That's the beauty of things like Spotify and Grooveshark - they give recommendations based on what you're playing. I've found quite a few bands that way. Online streams are another great way (ie. gaming streams where they're playing music so you find new stuff there, or online radio stations).

With the way HMV changed their stores, you couldn't go in and browse anyway - they had hardly anything to browse.
    Plus you can actually listen to the music you did not know existed removing the risk of buying some total garbage that you can't return in case you "copied it".

Was listening to Blink-182 on Spotify and found a Bluegrass cover CD and it was a seriously awesome find. The Hillbilly/Yokabilly version of 'All the Small Thinks' was classic!
    Last edited by Rawns; 17th January 2013 at 04:32 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    Why should voucher holders/purchasers be last in the queue when it comes to reimbursement?
    Because it's the law! People seem to have a strange perception that gift cards make better presents than cash, but they don't in reality.

They are vastly popular as presents and yet they come with a sting in the tail. Now Martin Lewis, founder of the consumer website MoneySavingExpert.com, is advising people to avoid gift cards and vouchers this Christmas because of the risk of losing all of your money.

"They're just a promise from a company, but if that company goes bust or changes hands you've no rights," he said. "Remember too that one of the ways that companies make money from vouchers is that many remain unredeemed."

The problems with gift cards and vouchers were highlighted again last week when JJB Sports announced that it would appoint administrators. The shops are likely to remain open, but, with the company changing hands after the administration, those left holding gift cards will find that they cannot spend them.

Gift card holders have no rights if a company goes bust
    As JJB cardholders will find, if you have a gift voucher and the issuing company goes into administration, you are effectively left holding a useless piece of plastic.

Voucher-holders' money is not ring-fenced or protected if a company goes bust. Instead, you will be classed as creditors and by law must take your place alongside everyone else owed money by the failed company. Since voucher-holders are unsecured creditors, they usually find themselves at the back of the queue.

Millions of pounds' worth of gift vouchers go unspent each year
    You might get a warm glow out of the fact that you have given your aunt £30 to spend on a new scarf, but if it is on a gift card she may well never do so. According to the GCVA, 6% of all vouchers go unspent. Given that £4bn of gift cards and vouchers are bought each year, that's £240m annually sitting on people's mantelpieces or in their bottom drawers.

Mr Johnson said the main reason for this was "consumer apathy". Another problem is that if your aunt ends up buying a scarf worth just £27, she may not bother to go back and spend the other £3 later. (Source)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Because it's the law! People seem to have a strange perception that gift cards make better presents than cash, but they don't in reality.
    So what ? Laws are meant to be broken. Especially this one. If anything it was HMV who are stealing. They knew they were going under but continued to sell Vouchers.
    Look on the bright side, if you get caught you get a free ride in a police car.

Thank Post
    Laws are meant to be broken.
    I'll tell that to the police when I get nicked! If they have any questions, I'll send them your way.

They knew they were going under but continued to sell vouchers.
    They almost certainly did, but I bet HMV thought it wouldn't matter because there is a chance Deloitte may be able to find a buyer for the business.

Deloitte is now actively searching for a buyer for the HMV chain in order to save the retailer, which accounts for a quarter of UK physical music and video sales.

The administrator said today that it has already had "very positive" expressions of interest in HMV, with several parties getting in touch following the firm's collapse. Hilco, the owner of HMV Canada, is said to be among those interested in HMV stores. (Source)

Thank Post
    HMV thought it wouldn't matter because they'd already taken the money for the vouchers.

Like I said, Sharp Practice at best, stealing at worst, and no amount of law-quoting is going to make it right.

Lawful? Yes. Right? No.

Thank Post
    So what ? Laws are meant to be broken.
    I'll tell that to the police when I get nicked! If they have any questions, I'll send them your way.
    @mattx kinda has a point - if laws were not meant to be broken, why would we have police to catch those who broke said laws?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    @mattx kinda has a point - if laws were not meant to be broken, why would we have police to catch those who broke said laws?
    That's a somewhat Pratchett-like argument. Like saying "we're supposed to set houses on fire, else why would we have insurance and why would we need firemen?"

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,699 Posts
    @mattx is just being himself. Of course laws aren't meant to be broken. And we have police because we know that people will always break laws - not the same thing at all!
    But I do wonder if there is an argument to be had about them selling gift vouchers if they knew that there was a problem with the company

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast