+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Poor old Jessops in General; I brought my last camera from Jessops. The body and two lenses was way cheaper than any online store at ...

Thank Post
    I brought my last camera from Jessops.

The body and two lenses was way cheaper than any online store at the time (which surprised me) and it was in stock.

RE- Play

Haven't used them for years, poor returns, long delivery times - just use Amazon.
    Seems they feel that since their loophole was closed actually improving their business and evolving was the last thing they wanted to do, its easier to just shut down and give up.

Thank Post
    Play & Amazon are as bad as each other aren't they? Both doing their damdest to avoid paying the taxes they should (because the government will just get it from us another way).

At least Jessops employed people and added to the local enconomy.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mats View Post
    Play & Amazon are as bad as each other aren't they? Both doing their damdest to avoid paying the taxes they should
    In that sense, yes. I've always had much better service from Amazon, though.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    It's worth mentioning that our local pro dealer Robert White Photographic, have recently bought a new industrial unit to cope with demand!
    I use them! mail order though but they provide great service.
    Our local jessops I think will go. I noticed that the shop suddenly last year had a 'lot more space in it'
    In fact the number of cameras on the shelf would not fill one storage box!
    Alan

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by salan View Post
    I use them! mail order though but they provide great service.
    Our local jessops I think will go. I noticed that the shop suddenly last year had a 'lot more space in it'
    In fact the number of cameras on the shelf would not fill one storage box!
    Alan
    Indeed and the staff showed no knowledge - they have somehow broken my mums digital camera - she took it in to them because she was having a problem changing the resolution of her images (it was set to maximum) and they fiddled with some settings and now all her photos now come out blurry (I ended up having to do the resolution myself) and when I went in to ask them if they could print portrait-sized prints they wanted 80 EACH for a slightly-smaller-than-A3 print and told me I would need to order a minimum of 6 copies!!!! I contacted a photographer friend who sent the order away with her own portrait orders and 3 copies cost me 30... There was little to no stock in the store and accessories were grossly overpriced. I can't say I'm surprised. I AM surprised about Play.com though - the marketplace has been one of the biggest turnoffs for me to shopping with Play as it doesnt seem as rigorous as EBay in terms of dealing with issues and I would almost always purchase the item that was for sale by Play rather than a marketplace seller. That being said, though, I have managed to find some great items really cheap on the marketplace so it's not all bad.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    I would almost always purchase the item that was for sale by Play rather than a marketplace seller.
    Same here. I've even paid a little bit more to get it from Play rather than someone else. [But that's more to do with the fact some of them seem dodgy.]

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Same here. I've even paid a little bit more to get it from Play rather than someone else. [But that's more to do with the fact some of them seem dodgy.]
    Likewise.

I've had a fake sandisk microSD card from a play marketplace seller. I got money back and the trader disappeared days later, but it was a hassle I'd rather not have

Thank Post
    Shame about Jessops! I got serveral items from them including my D800 and 70-200VR2. With quidco discount made them the cheapest around at the time.
    Sad to see them go, will be keeping an eye on the website to see if there will be anything worth having in the clearance, doubtful though - never is.

Thank Post
    I bought all my cameras from them over the years, starting with an Olympus 35mm compact when they first starting doing the APS film

Then i've bought several digital compacts over the years and not too long ago a Sony DSLR from them as "clearence open box stock" which was still actually sealed in it box from the factory

I will be sad to see them go as its one of the very few actual camera shops in sheffield and the ONLY one in meadowhall

Thank Post
    I have been looking at a couple of Canon L Series lens over Christmas at Jessops as well...maybe there will be a clearance sale?
    Of course, I am sorry for the many staff that are/may be losing their jobs.
    I always try and buy equipment from my local independent camera store although not the cheapest place.

Thank Post
    I got my SLR from Jessops as I wanted to pick it up in person rather than have it thrown around by a delivery company but the buying experience was a pain - to get the same price in-store I had to buy it online through my phone and wait while the order got processed in the system before they would hand it over. Could understand if it was a price match scheme but it was the same company!

I reckon there could be a place in the market to use some of these vacant retail units as some sort of shared distribution centre for brands like Jessops who could then use them as a showroom \ pickup point but conduct the majority of the business online. Seems like many businesses can't justify all these individual high-street shops but maybe a different model could work?

Thank Post
    Customer service was poor the sales assistants dont know what they are talking about unless you bump into someone who knows about cameras, same with comet im afraid

Thank Post
    It's a shame for the staff, but the writing has been on the wall for Jessops for quite a while, same with all the other chains that have gone under recently. They were all running with too much debt as they looked for short term gain rather than long term stability.
    The sooner we see the back of a lot of the chains the better. They contribute very little to the local community as they demand tax breaks etc to open up in a town, would much rather see independent stores as they pay their way and contribute more to the community.
    As for charity shops, they pay no business rates and the landlord get tax breaks renting to them, so that is why you see so many of them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,385 Times in 1,765 Posts

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12