+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, The NEW Weight Loss thread! in General; Originally Posted by elsiegee40 I cannot cope with the drop in blood sugar levels that fasting involves... and I cannot ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,699 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    I cannot cope with the drop in blood sugar levels that fasting involves... and I cannot convince myself that doing it is good for you. I'd rather educate my brain to eat sensibly all the time than have a blow out and then not eat.
    But the idea isnt to actually stop eating, but to eat a very restricted calorie intake for one day. And you certainly arent supposed to have a blow out at any point!
    The evidence is that it helps with memory and blood pressure, and may help ward off longer term issues such as diabetes and dementia
    If you do it 1pm to 1pm it seems easier.
    Read this article:BBC News - The power of intermittent fasting
    I think you will find it very interesting!

Thank Post
    Bit of a bad week last week - i finally realised it last night when I ordered in Pizza. This morning however I have made time to get a smoothie into the blender (Banana, Avocado, Strawberry, Grape and 1 spoon of natural yoghurt) which should keep me full all the way till lunch

I have also thrown away all the take-away menus from the house, and start training again tonight. Hopefully I can shift the 10-15Kg and get to my target weight by June.

Thank Post
    @witch, I have been intermittent fasting since the beginning of October (after watching the BBC programme you mentioned). Just for one day a week (Wednesday), because I do loads of exercise every other day I can only cope with doing it the one day a week. I have my large (550 cal) breakfast at 6.30 am and then don't have anything else until the next morning. I won't pretend it's easy, though the more I have done it the easier it has become. I feel it's beneficial - it's like a 'reset' button for the system. I am doing it to maintain my weight at the moment as I have reached my target weight a couple of years ago and I find maintaining is harder than losing the weight in the first place!

4. Thanks to korova_blue from:

witch (17th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Sort of Planned Wobble last night.

Pizza Express, Cinema ( we got given a big box of popcorn by one of the wifes freinds who was there as well) , and a bottle of red wine....

The Pizza was planned.
    Popcorn, Cheescake and extra wine was not.....

Oh and I had to go into town to book the OrangeWednesday ticket and had to wait for the cinema to open so had a pint inthepub whilst waiting....

Back to it today

Rob

Thank Post
    A gang of us at our school have been following the "Couch to 5K" plan from NHS Choices. Tis all free and we've all enjoyed it very much, there's new staff starting it as we speak... I've dropped my weight from just under 14 stone to 11.5 stone, although I have been somewhat more careful about what I eat as well (i.e. I've only had one Cornish Pasty since July - rather than 4 a week!). I've finished the plan but am still running 3 times a week and increasing the distance I run as well...

Details here: Couch to 5K - Live Well - NHS Choices

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Update - In two weeks of training I have now dropped 5.5KG (12lbs) with my aim over the next 6 weeks to drop a further 8kg roughly.

Toby

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,643 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Update - In two weeks of training I have now dropped 5.5KG (12lbs) with my aim over the next 6 weeks to drop a further 8kg roughly.

Toby
    Well done! I'm not far off my target now. My husband has lost the same amount of weight as you. He's got another stone to go ideally though. I had less to shift!

Thank Post
    Ive lost 4lbs im now down to 13 stone 6lbs.

So my change of eating and exercise seems to be working although this week Ive only walked the dog for two hours in one day and walked to and from a friends house.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,699 Posts
    Well done @hardtailstar !
    All this obsession with actual weight worries me a bit though. Everyone's ideal weight is different and I think it is dangerous to get obsessed with what you see on the scales. Anyone who has had children will know that you can pick up two children who look about the same and one weighs a whole lot more than the other.
    BMI is a flawed system too. IMHO you just need to look at yourself and you can see whether you are overweight and where it is. Also you can tell by your clothes. I try to wear close-fitting clothes most of the time to keep a check on my size - leggings are the work of Satan as you can get fatter and not notice!
    I probably weigh far more than it looks like I do due to the amount of exercise I do but TBH I havent weighed myself for about 20 years - because that way, madness lies...
    I do realise that when you are dieting, it is useful to know your actual weight loss to spur you on, but the loss is one thing, the final figure quite another.
    Fitness is incredibly important as well. The geeks on here all seem pretty keen on exercise but some people just lose weight without getting fit as they think that is all you need to do. I have plenty of thin friends who are extremly unfit. Better to be a little bit (I said LITTLE) over your ideal weight but be fit than a skinny unhealthy mess.
    I'm sure I would be horrified if I found out what I weigh - which is partly why I don't - but I am reasonably happy with what I see in the mirror most days (always room for improvement, but you can't change your basic body shape very much).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Well done @hardtailstar !
    All this obsession with actual weight worries me a bit though. Everyone's ideal weight is different and I think it is dangerous to get obsessed with what you see on the scales. Anyone who has had children will know that you can pick up two children who look about the same and one weighs a whole lot more than the other.
    BMI is a flawed system too. IMHO you just need to look at yourself and you can see whether you are overweight and where it is. Also you can tell by your clothes. I try to wear close-fitting clothes most of the time to keep a check on my size - leggings are the work of Satan as you can get fatter and not notice!
    I probably weigh far more than it looks like I do due to the amount of exercise I do but TBH I havent weighed myself for about 20 years - because that way, madness lies...
    I do realise that when you are dieting, it is useful to know your actual weight loss to spur you on, but the loss is one thing, the final figure quite another.
    Fitness is incredibly important as well. The geeks on here all seem pretty keen on exercise but some people just lose weight without getting fit as they think that is all you need to do. I have plenty of thin friends who are extremly unfit. Better to be a little bit (I said LITTLE) over your ideal weight but be fit than a skinny unhealthy mess.
    I'm sure I would be horrified if I found out what I weigh - which is partly why I don't - but I am reasonably happy with what I see in the mirror most days (always room for improvement, but you can't change your basic body shape very much).
    Thanks

im aiming for inbetween 12-13 stone and to fit back into my expensive suit ive worn about four times. Im not fussed about muscle definition and all that, just want to loose the weight and keep healthy plus getting back into that pesky suit!!

Thank Post
    Second week back in (weigh in last Friday).........and I'd lost 1.5kg :-)

Very pleased, particularly after putting on the week before.

Thank Post
    Not touched the scales yet, Just keeping track of the callories and keeping them sain ( appart from ocasional over eat which is said not to be an issue )

Rob

Thank Post
    I have also found a new way to enjoy food.

I just watch "Food network" see what the USA is eating and think how healthy we are. Some of it does look tast ( well all of it ) but just 10 times (or more) bigger than it should be.

Rob

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    14stone 11lbs, 93.9kg, 207lb. Progress is being made!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Week 3 - Now dropped 6.8KG in 3 weeks. I am mainly concentrating on weight training at the moment so will probably start stopping losing soon and bulking up a bit more!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast