+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, The NEW Weight Loss thread! in General; Originally Posted by arwen I decided a few months ago that it was about time i lost some weight and ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,090 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arwen View Post
    I decided a few months ago that it was about time i lost some weight and got fit again. No idea what I weigh, I just know I've been eating too much and since I got the car I no longer walk as much (when I used to walk everywhere).

So I've been trying to cut down on food, but I am a grazer... I get the shakes and can faint if I don't eat every 3 hours or so. Any advice for good diet that lets me eat often? I get Graze boxes and I find they work great for when I am at work. But they are on the expensive side for what you get... :-(
    You could just buy bigger packs of the sorts of things you get in the graze boxes and make up little bags of snacks to take to work. If you google graze diets you might find some ideas. I know oatcakes and peanut butter make a good snack, a handful of nuts, a rice cake and some fruit, a yoghurt and a piece of fruit etc etc

2. 2 Thanks to witch:

CAM (9th January 2013), hardtailstar (9th January 2013)

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm a serial grazer myself but have all the Christmas chocolate to get through first. I should probably stop grazing on my lunch just to go into the canteen anyway later.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidIrwin View Post
    That sounds a little harsh. I dont think reporting weight every week is good - many people's weight fluctuates day to day or week to week, but reporting when you have done something good (visited the gym, hit a target, been able to tighten your belt one extra notch, etc) would be much more positive

Good luck everyone!

Dave
    The latter part of what I said was just in jest. But to help people to get some motivation going some form of goal per week would be good idea it doesn't necessarily have to be lose a certain amount of weight a week. Could be 'This week i have to start to walk to work and then next week say yes I did start walking and heres my target for the next week etc similar to what you said.

It might be good to to motivate people as is reading the thread.

My old personal trainer told me its 80% diet and 20% exercise. So its more a lifestyle change than a yoyo thing.

Some key things to help reduce weight.

Cut out salt (try other seasonings) and like others have said alcohol is another. Try not to eat carbs in the evening.

I phoned up some gyms yesterday and looks like I can get a discount so that sounds promising.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    I'm a serial grazer myself but have all the Christmas chocolate to get through first. I should probably stop grazing on my lunch just to go into the canteen anyway later.
    I usually dispose of excess christmas snacks by taking them into school and leaving them in the staff room. They become somebody else's diet problem very quickly.

This year they're going to uni with my eldest... I doubt they'll last long there. She says she'll leave them on the kitchen table in her flat labelled 'Help yourself'

Thank Post
    I dumped all my choc's in the bin on new years day, I don't have the will power at home with open box's of quality street etc. Weighed yesterday and in 13 weeks (since my daughter was born) I have put on just over a stone. So back in the 15st area. I'm back training and eating healthy, so hope to shift half a stone this month and then a gradual run to my 14st target.

Not going mad, just cutting out the cr@p between meals, plenty of water and excersize. I do an early morning bootcamp 6 - 7am twice a week, circuits 1 evening a week and try and fit in a run on the weekend, the early morning suits me as everyone is still asleep when I get home.

**Edit**

Fitday.com is a free website that I find usefull (in the early weeks) to track my calorie intake.
    Last edited by pooley; 9th January 2013 at 09:10 AM.

Thank Post
    Two years of a combination of an unhappy marriage and comfort eating at work meant I almost tipped 20 stone (but at 6'7" not as fat looking as a tellytubby so never really noticed the gradual gain, my fighting weight has always been about 17 stone anyway). Decided to do something about it 12 months ago, left the marriage, joined slimming world as part of putting my life back together and have lost 2.5 stone in a year. Have also joined the staff football team and now coach a youth football side at weekends having passed my FA coaching and goalkeeping courses.

Couldn't have done it without the support of my true friends (lost several so called friends last year) and work colleagues but 2013 is a very positive place for me right now with my life on the up and working at a great place with fab people (and the students aren't bad either...)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You're all talking about diets and exercise... and I'm just sitting here eating a box of maltesers. [om nom nom]

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    You're all talking about diets and exercise... and I'm just sitting here eating a box of maltesers. [om nom nom]
    Are you 25 yet?

Rob

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    Are you 26 yet?

Rob
    Nope. 24.

Thank Post
    Ah there you go.

As said By Rimmer in red Dwarf and use as the intro to "the 90's Revival" by Carter USM...

"
    Rimmer: When you're younger you can eat what you like, drink what you like, and still climb into your 26" waist trousers and zip them closed. Then you reach that age, 24-25, your muscles give up, they wave a little white flag, and without any warning at all you're suddenly a fat b$%$d
    "

See you on the flip side

Rob

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    See you on the flip side

Rob
    I look forward to it.

I weigh 8 stone 9 [and a half.]

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ah there you go.

As said By Rimmer in red Dwarf and use as the intro to "the 90's Revival" by Carter USM...

"
    Rimmer: When you're younger you can eat what you like, drink what you like, and still climb into your 26" waist trousers and zip them closed. Then you reach that age, 24-25, your muscles give up, they wave a little white flag, and without any warning at all you're suddenly a fat b$%$d
    "

See you on the flip side

Rob
    This is so so true. (28!).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Well, one week later, I'm pleased to report the weight is going in the right direction. I've shed the Christmas gain easily... 3 visits to the gym a week and more walking plus cutting out all the cr@p and being more careful with portion sizes. My weakness is having a cake with coffee when I'm out. I've also discovered that coffee (which I drink black) seems to make me hungry. Tea especially drunk blank ( I usually drink white) and peppermint tea seem to suppress the snacking urge for me.

Now to work on the harder-to-shift weight that was there beforehand. I've only 4lb to lose now, but the challenge will be shifting it and keeping it off!

Thank Post
    Well I am going strong.

My calorific intake for the last week including offset with excersise points) has been just under 1000 per day, which should kick start the body into burnign fat.

Need to increase that a bit or the body will start conserving.

Not weighed myself yet, going to give it a couple fo weeks.

Rob

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 1,011 Posts
    I missed this thread last week - I have started a 4 days a week course for 8 weeks with my friends who is a PT, last week I trained 5 days (4 days weights, 1 day 20km bike, 1 rugby match), along with nutrition plan. Last week I lost 3.5KG (just under 8lbs). I'm aiming for another 6/7KG in the next 7 weeks!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast