+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, The NEW Weight Loss thread! in General; @ mmoseley - what about a class such as body combat, circuits or the new spinning (static cycling) classes? Those ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,752 Posts
    @mmoseley - what about a class such as body combat, circuits or the new spinning (static cycling) classes? Those seem to be the ones that attract men to them around here. Or walk.
    I'm with you on the sport issue - not because I suck at it, although I am sure I would, but just because I can't see the point
    What about exercise on the xbox, wii, or whatever?

2. Thanks to witch from:

mark (12th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Back in May 2012 I was at 20st for my 6ft height and decided enough was enough.

Both my wife and I joined Weight Watchers at that point, and since then I have lost over 4 stone just by following the plan. No proper exercise to speak of, just a bit of leisure cycling in the summer and trying to fit in some walking during the week. Haven't significantly changed what I eat for meals, just sensible portions and thinking about healthy alternatives. Even snacking hasn't had to go, just be re-thought.

Had a bit of a slip over Christmas and put on 2.5lbs (and expect a bit more this week) but I'll get back to it. Just another 3 stone or so to go to be a 'healthy' weight by BMI.

I'd recommend it to anyone - it's not as hard as you think. The points system is easy to follow (there are good online and mobile apps to help 'track') and no food is banned. It's certainly not all tasteless ready meals or anything like that. If you love something, you can have it, just maybe at the expense of something else, or in moderation. I've managed to have a Chinese before and stay on plan.

Depending on your area, you might even qualify for a GP referral if you are above healthy BMI - this gives you 12 weeks free. That is the only downside, it is a bit expensive at about £22ish a month.

Sorry if I sound like I'm trying to sell it, I've just been blown away by how much it has helped me achieve. I'd never have thought this time last year I'd lose that much weight in 2012 - crisps and chocolate were too much of favourites to me!

Thank Post
    I almost always make my lunch for work myself.

Salad, Soup, Home made Curry ( no rice ) , ocasional baugett...

I never buy here.

Food will power I have, but the odd bottle of wine becomes less odd and that's my main downfall..... But I have made it from 14 -> once in the last 24 months and I am in a more posative frame of mind and have reasons to get my weight down, and doing the climbing helps.

Although excercise will indeed gain weight through more mucsel, eventualy there will be no fat left and so long as you continue to reduce calorie intake to complesate teh muscel will tehn get burned off too.

Rob

Thank Post
    Oh man...

I regularly lift weights (3-5 nights a week) and train (MMA/Krav) and ALSO, when on cardio cycles, run 3 miles 3 times a week.

This is the WORST time of year for us regular lifters, as the gym fills up with new year's resolution-ers; people reading Harry Potter on the bikes or doing bicep curls in the squat rack or any number of daft flopping around on those giant inflatable balls exercises in the way of everything. And it's like that until February when they all quit.

Anyways, putting on muscle is HARD and lengthy work. Losing bodyfat is happily relatively easy.

To do so, you need to watch calories in the following way (though do remember I'm not a nutritionist/doctor/trainer

Calculate your Base Metabolic Rate (BMR.) This is the minimum in calories you need to stay 'alive' in a regular and functional way and grow hair/breathe/function as you should.

Calculate your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE.) This is the amount in calories you would need to intake in a regular day to not loose nor gain any weight. This accounts for walking around/activity.

So, if you consume somewhere between these amounts you'll lose weight. You just will. So, you either need to introduce a calorie deficit with different/less food OR you need to do it with exercise. Or both. As has been said above, 1lb of bodyfat is about 3500 calories, so if you aim to introduce that deficit in a week you'll lose 1lb a week. I wouldn't recommend trying to lose MORE than 1lb a week, but I've been alright losing 2-3lb a week. Reasons being though that it's HARD to keep up the more extreme it is and you'll just make excuses, and end up losing the psychological games your brain plays with you to get you into that Drive Thru...

Make sure you eat your 5 a day though, that's important. As is a good multivitamin.

Try spacing out your meals into 5-6 small meals a day. This REALLY worked in an aggressively good way for me both for a weight loss phase and for a constant stream of energy throughout the day and for training, though some report it's not made a difference. It also takes some getting used to being not quite full, not quite hungry ALL THE TIME, but I settled after about 2 weeks.

If you're doing this and you weigh yourself and you've stayed the same or lost little DO NOT WORRY! It takes a week or so to 'kick in' sometimes but it works like the devil. Also, you may be retaining water at the time, or any odd digestive reason which will skew the scales a touch. Better to weigh yourself every Friday morning after you've made boom-boom (I can't put that any more scientifically) and graph the results over two months and see how it's flown off on average.

Oh, and have ONE cheat-meal a week, as that's important. No more than 1000 cals in it though.

For the TDEE and BMR calculators see Scooby's Calorie Calculator

And make his entire site your bible for fitness, cardio or building muscle. EVERYTHING you need to know is on his site and it's truly truly amazing, especially when you consider it's free and he does it all just for love of bodybuilding. Here it is.

I remember YEARS back when he had a little gnome (Hans) he used to discuss pullups with and it was about 4 pages and no forum either. REALLY gone global now, with good reason.

Anyway good luck with whatever you're all aiming to do. Hope that's been at least a bit relevant although a lot to read.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crc-ict View Post
    I've managed to have a Chinese before and stay on plan.
    A bit of research and thought can keep it all sainish.

Pizza ( go for thin not thick crust ) "SHARE"
    Indian ( stay away from the creamy ciurries and don't have fried rice ) "SHARE"
    Chinese ( acatualy quite good many of them, avoid deep fried dishes and fried rice) "SHARE"

Etc..

Rob

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I went in for an operation in September and had the pre-assessment in August. I was weighed by the nurse and came in at 110KG (17 stone, 4oz). At 6'2" that left me teetering on obese. I didn't like that so decided to do something about it.

I joined Weight Watchers just after I had my op and it seems to be working, I'm down to 97KG (15 stone 4oz) and am still losing. The only problem is that a lot of my clothes don't fit any more!

Thank Post
    @mmoseley Congratulations. Sounds like it works for you and you are doing well. Keep it up

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @witch - I dont really like classes (not that ive ever done it, just dont find it appealing) im perfectly happy walking or im considering getting a push bike as cycling is fine as well, sadly work isnt within cycling distance! The Wii is an idea but I have a really bad habbit of coming in from work and sitting on the sofa and not moving. In an ideal world I would loose weight but not do any work to achieve it! :P

@davidlrwin - Sadly very early days yet to know if its working but time will tell! Im not convinced yet!

@Norphy - Do you do weightwatchers in a class or just online? Ive looked for the online one but I dont think I would stick to it!

WHERE IS MY WILL POWER?!?!? !

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoseley View Post
    @witch - I dont really like classes (not that ive ever done it, just dont find it appealing) im perfectly happy walking or im considering getting a push bike as cycling is fine as well, sadly work isnt within cycling distance! The Wii is an idea but I have a really bad habbit of coming in from work and sitting on the sofa and not moving. In an ideal world I would loose weight but not do any work to achieve it! :P
    Regarding the classes, I never thought I would enjoy them, but your best bet is to just join one and see how it goes - particularly at this time of year as there are plenty of people who have never done the classes (or been to a gym) before so you will find people who are as nervous (feeling out of place) as you are. Most of them are really friendly!
    WHERE IS MY WILL POWER?!?!? !
    I found I needed a reason to visit the gym - once I made a couple of friends there I had that

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,697 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidIrwin View Post

I found I needed a reason to visit the gym - once I made a couple of friends there I had that
    We joined as a family. I usually end up going with my son who has to do it for his DofE. Making him go makes me go too!

12. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

DavidIrwin (8th January 2013)

Thank Post
    With regards to motivation here is an idea. Set up a weight loss group on here with everyone thats interested to sign up. Then each week there is a set goal to attain (set amount of pounds) and everyone thats part of the group needs to report back in and if they don't they get a tongue lashing from the rest LOL?

Thank Post
    I decided a few months ago that it was about time i lost some weight and got fit again. No idea what I weigh, I just know I've been eating too much and since I got the car I no longer walk as much (when I used to walk everywhere).

So I've been trying to cut down on food, but I am a grazer... I get the shakes and can faint if I don't eat every 3 hours or so. Any advice for good diet that lets me eat often? I get Graze boxes and I find they work great for when I am at work. But they are on the expensive side for what you get... :-(

Back at the gym tonight however, its gonna be a struggle I think! Kinda want to get back to playing badminton, but its all competitive clubs around here, rather than just playing for a laugh.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by north-ict View Post
    With regards to motivation here is an idea. Set up a weight loss group on here with everyone thats interested to sign up. Then each week there is a set goal to attain (set amount of pounds) and everyone thats part of the group needs to report back in and if they don't they get a tongue lashing from the rest LOL?
    That sounds a little harsh. I dont think reporting weight every week is good - many people's weight fluctuates day to day or week to week, but reporting when you have done something good (visited the gym, hit a target, been able to tighten your belt one extra notch, etc) would be much more positive

Good luck everyone!

Dave

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @Norphy - Do you do weightwatchers in a class or just online? Ive looked for the online one but I dont think I would stick to it!
    I do it online. I wasn't sure whether it'd work or not either but it's not so bad.

To be honest, to begin with I had trouble using all of my points allocation. My girlfriend kept on nagging me to eat more to use it all but I always felt full after my meals so I didn't. I've got another stone and a bit to go then I'll be at my "ideal" weight, according to BMI at least.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidIrwin View Post
    That sounds a little harsh. I dont think reporting weight every week is good - many people's weight fluctuates day to day or week to week, but reporting when you have done something good (visited the gym, hit a target, been able to tighten your belt one extra notch, etc) would be much more positive

Good luck everyone!

Dave
    I think thats a brilliant idea!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast