+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, The NEW Weight Loss thread! in General; ...

Thank Post
    I've been ten stone, give or take a pound or two, for as long as I can remember.

I joined a gym about 20 years ago, to put on some weight (never happened) and to ease what I thought was a muscular pain in my back. Ten months and £380 poorer, I had a kidney stone removed. Which, funnily enough, got rid of the pain in my back.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,775 Posts
    I suspect too much vino and reduced levels of exercise are the main factors in my weight gain. I was snacking a couple of years ago, but have largely cut that out now.

Cancer Research's Dryathalon might be a worthy cause to support ... especially as the lack of alcohol will hep reduce calories

Thank Post
    I used these for 3 months

All natural, but allow you to cut down food portion sizes. I drank 2.5l of water a day. I no longer take them but still drink the water. No come down. My metabolism has sped up no end. I still play football three times a week, and squash twice.

I am now 12st 5. Down from 14st. And 6 foot and a bit I am now happy with my weight.

Thank Post
    Like many, I'm back on this again for the new year. Managed to get myself down to 3 stone below my heaviest ever weight ready for my wedding last April, and have gone back up about a stone since then, so I've started working on getting it back off again.

Although not doing Dryathlon as such, I have given up alcohol for January to see what happens. The reduction in calorie intake has to be beneficial. I'm back in the gym, 3 times a week and playing football twice a week as well. Just need to sort out my snacking habits and the weight should fall off :-)

Weighed in yesterday (although my normal official weigh in is a friday morning with the School Nurse) and I came in at 19 stone 13lb's......time to get to work :-)

Thank Post
    I dont know how much I weigh but my clothes are getting tight.

Im now cycling to work which I used to do ages ago, My friends gym allows a 'free friend' on a friday so going then for an hour or so.

My eating is what ive got to change as I eat too much junk food and sweets.

Once I fit back into my expensive suit trousers Ill be happy.

Thank Post
    The wife started Slimming World a couple of months before crimbo. As it was easier for the purposes of food shopping and cooking meals, I joined her and ate the same meals and lost 19lb! All fresh meals, sensible portions and the food really is great. None of this nasty weight watchers microwave meal rubbish. I then went nuts over Christmas and put 8lb back on. The thing is, I loathe exercise. I generally hate doing it and will do anything to put it off. I'll happily go for a walk but that's as far as it will go.

However, this looks very intriguing. Any one got/tried this? A bit of Googling/social network resulted in lots of positive feedback?

Zombies, Run! - Google Play Store

Appears to be a Kickstarter start-up too.
    Last edited by Rawns; 8th January 2013 at 01:07 PM.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I just lost 150 pounds in one easy exercise - it's called getting your car fixed

Thank Post
    1LB is eaquel to ~3500 Calories.

so if you lose 500 Calories out of your daily diet you will lose 1LB a week ( 1st in 14 week)

Approx
    500 Cals =
    1 Bottle of red wine
    3 pints of beer
    5 Double Vodca and DIET coke.
    7 Slices of bread.

cut back 500 a day, do a bit of excersies and the weight will drop off.

the excersies will build lean muscle which will burn the calories more effectivly.

Rob

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The following two articles from Dr Michael Mosley are an interesting take on diet and exercise.

BBC News - The power of intermittent fasting

BBC News - Can three minutes of exercise a week help make you fit?

I tried the diet towards the end of last year and, along with cycling to work, was starting to really drop some weight. However I'm weak willed and lack of cycling due to cold/rainy/dark weather and the hunger pains on the off days (and chrimbo) as meant it's all gone to pot

I may try again later in the year, maybe when I start cycling again...

EDIT: one thing I did find is the cycling was building my calf muscles so as fast as I was losing weight in fat I was gaining heavier muscle weight.
    Last edited by tmcd35; 8th January 2013 at 01:06 PM.

Thank Post
    I had the same realiseation a few months ago when I got to 105Kg (that is 16st 7 in old money). For someone who is only 5'8" I realised this was a bad thing.

For me I have built up gradually to a healthier diet and starting exercise - My view is that one is pointless without the other - gradually reducing bad foods (high carb, high sugar, treats, chocolate, crisps, etc) and increasing exercise over time.

Remember; going from no regular exercise to cycling 20 miles to work every day is likely to do more harm than good.
    Build up slowly - walk to the gym and back home again (you don't even have to pay for a membership for that!) twice a week

After 3 months I am now visiting the gym about 4 times a week with a mix of cardio (running, Spin class, etc), strength (weights, etc) and core (Yoga/Balance class, etc) and feeling great for it... 3" less round the waist, 9Kg lighter...

My new year's resolution is to get to 85Kg (13st4) by June, but I would be really happy at 80Kg (12st7).

If you are on a diet and getting hunger pains it means you are not eating enough (volume), or not getting enough of a certain type of nutrients. This will lead to binging (for most people) so in the long term not worth it - try to find a diet which suits you better or talk to a nutritionist (many gym's will have someone who can advise as part of training).

I will also say that when I started exercising (as noted by @tmcd35) that for the first 6 weeks I did not loose any weight due to muscle build-up. This is not a bad thing - if you keep up the diet and exercise this will change to weight loss and the results will be amazing.

Dave

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,775 Posts
    At the start of 2010, the BBC showed "Ten things you ought to know about dieting" (title may not be exactly correct)

The key advice was:

1. Don't skip meals
    2. Protein makes you feel full for longer
    3. Soup in its liquidised form makes you feel full for longer than the equivalent meal that you have to cut and chew
    4. Calcium helps you to excrete fat, so a diet high in low-fat dairy is good.
    5. Calories count - cut out snacks and reduce portion sizes
    6. Exercise raises your metabolism and continues to be effective after the time that you actually exercise. Try not to sit still too much!

So I modified my diet to:

Breakfast = Poached egg on dry wholemeal toast (you don't need butter, the yolk moisturises the toast), 250ml glass of orange juice, 250ml glass of skimmed milk, black coffee (I never took milk in coffee anyway)
    Lunch = Homemade soup taken to work in a flask like this... yummy thick ones like Lentil, tomato and rosemary (with a little bacon) or Broccoli and Stilton.
    Dinner = Usual meal, watching but not being obsessive about the quantity, with low fat yoghurt for pudding.

My Breakfast and Lunch filled me up and I stopped snacking as I wasn't getting 'hunger pains'.

That combined with more exercise and cutting back on the alcohol (restricting myself to wine at weekends) brought about very good results.

Needless to say, I have become less strict with myself and it's showing round my waist, so I'm back to poached egg for breakfast and soup making.
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 8th January 2013 at 01:16 PM.

12. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

DavidIrwin (8th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    The simple rule is: eat less, move more!
    I have never found protein fills me up and as a veggie there is a problem with that anyway - 100g of lean beef has about a third of the calories of 100g hazelnuts.

I am addicted to carbs and really find that I don't feel I have eaten anything without them. I am also a grazer - I can't go for very long without eating something.
    I have no idea what I weigh - it is probably more than it looks because I do a lot of exercise so I am pretty toned. I never weigh myself but go by my clothes and the way I feel. I over-indulged at Christmas and I need to be a bit more careful for the next few weeks. The problem with being my age is that any weight loss shows in your face which becomes saggy and even more wrinkly!!
    Once we turn 40, our metabolic rate — in other words our ability to burn calories — drops. We lose muscle tone. We get stressed and eat more calories than we need, when what we should be doing is exercising more and controlling portion sizes.

14. Thanks to witch from:

mark (12th March 2014)

Thank Post
    @witch I understand the carbs problem - I was also addicted, but for me much easier to deal with replacing with chicken, etc. Nuts and seeds are great for fill-in snacks but not so good when you need a decent sized meal

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    The thing is, I loathe exercise. I generally hate doing it and will do anything to put it off. I'll happily go for a walk but that's as far as it will go.
    Walking is considered one of the best exercises. Just make sure you stride out and keep going for at least 30 minutes.
    I don't like exercise much either and loathe the gym. But I do 4 classes a week because I know it is worth it and after all it is only an hour or so out of my life - but look around, you may find a class you like. There is a huge variety these days. At the gym my son attends, they have "chase" games attached to the exercise bikes and the treadmills so you can play a game with your friends whilst exercising

17. Thanks to witch from:

mark (12th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Funnily enough I have just been talking bout weight lose, and I was eating a Tesco Light Roast Chicken Sandwich, a 330ml orange juice and a pack of crisps, Im using MyFitnessPal which is logging my calories, and after eating that im on water for tea lol

The trouble is I dont do any exercise which yea I know is really bad of me but I havent yet found a sport I actually enjoy playing and that I dont suck at, I dont like the gym as I feel uncomfortable there...Im not a runner and I find lifting weights just OMG boring as hell! Just need to find something thats me! (Well I have which is sitting on the sofa with a big mac!) lol I've just gone up to a 36' waist which is shockingly bad! Cant believe it!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast