+ Post New Thread
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast
General Chat Thread, The NEW Weight Loss thread! in General; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,956 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    HAhahah thanks guys! I've got 'average' legs from martial arts and on/off training, but a knackered hip at the moment that I'm definitely resting up. Muay Thai and gentle running is all it's got and is SLOWLY improving. Squats WERE at 95kg for sets and DLs at 130kg for sets, but grip always let me down before legs did.

Only want to get up to 93kg lean so I can compete at light heavyweight in Sanda. Lol at SOME point, lord knows when.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    All of my competitions were light heavyweight until I hit around 16 and started doing rugby in full force also. Ended up going to superheavyweight catagory, and still kicking backside. Shame I can't now

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscbrah View Post
    Only want to get up to 93kg lean so I can compete at light heavyweight in Sanda. Lol at SOME point, lord knows when.
    My goal is a little odd. I want to get to the point where theoretically if i was 0% bodyfat (ignoring the fact that I would be dead) my BMI would still say that I was 'overweight'.

Healthy/ideal weight at my height is between 59kg - 80kg. Theoretically at 0% now I would weigh about 75kg. That leaves me with 5kg of lean mass to gain!

This is mainly just a way for me to track lean mass gains but it's also to help make the point that BMI is an archaic and essentially broken form of measurement!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    BMI is definitely broken. I have dense bones (not big bones, but dense bones) from years of breaking blocks, bricks, tiles, wood etc with my hands/arms/shoulders/feet etc.

The average weight of the skeleton for a 6ft adult weighing in at 90kgs, is around 3.7kgs. My bones when I was 16 (5ft 10, 90kgs) however are much denser and were around 5.1kg. Not sure what they are now as I am 160kgs and 6ft, so I can only assume maybe another couple of kgs on top to accomodate the extra mass I am shifting. However, I do not detract from the fact that I am obese, and I am working on it. Fat ratios are going down however, my starting BMI was 52.3, and today when measuring I am 48.7.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    All of my competitions were light heavyweight until I hit around 16 and started doing rugby in full force also. Ended up going to superheavyweight catagory, and still kicking backside. Shame I can't now
    What did you do? Sure I've asked this before once... karate/jujitsu I'd guess?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Jujitsu and Aikido (4th dan in both respectively). I trained from 5 years old, and I dabbled in Tang Soo Do (got to Orange Belt, green tag)

Thank Post
    Agree BMI is not that accurate.

I'm 6"1 and 85.55KG which gives me a BMI of 24.8 (Healthy)
    So apparently if I weigh 86.6 my BMI is 25.1 and I am over weight.

In the last 7 days I've had Wednesday footy training, Saturday 11 a side game (90 mins), Sunday 11 a side game (90 mins), Tuesday 5.1 mile race. I could easily put on a KG in muscle just doing less cardio and become "over weight"

Thank Post
    Back on the running tonight after a few weeks rest having knackered my knees. Time to factor in some rest days and some resistance work I think. Turns out running every day (having previously done none at all) isn't particularly clever.

Thank Post
    After finally retiring from rugby in April (the wife made me, i'm too old apparently, 39yrs old now) I gained about a stone in flab, even taking into consideration i took up cycling as a hobby (poor diet can't be fixed in the gym). Then 2 weeks holiday on a Cruise ship added another 8lbs!! So over the last 4 weeks I have started eating clean and going to the gym, i'm following the 5x5 Stronglift program, not easy while on a calorie deficit but I have made some good gains over the last few weeks. Not shifted loads of weight though, maybe 6lb total, but my clothes are starting to fit me again now so thats al tat really matters. Will be back on my bike this weekend, a 50 mile charity ride I signed up for in June has sneaked up on me (2 weeks away) so i'd best put some training in for that too.

So I hope to drop another half stone by the end of September and then just maintain my exercise and re-evaluate where I am come Christmas.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pooley View Post
    (poor diet can't be fixed in the gym)
    Truer words are rarely spoken!

Good luck mate

Thank Post
    Just one lbs off of my lowest weight of the year!

For anyone that does struggle with weight loss or exercise motivation I honestly can't recommend the Fitbit or anything similar enough. I've gone from a coach potato to someone who now finds it frustrating to sit still for long periods of time. I spend my lunch hour walking rather than internet shopping, I'm running 4/5 times a week, I have more energy and I'm (more or less) in a permanently good mood. Previously I've only ever managed to keep myself motivated to exercise for a few weeks at a time but I've been at this now for 2 and a half months and still going strong. Hitting your daily step target is such a satisfying feeling, smashing it feels even better!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The NEW Weight Loss thread!-dsc_0148-1-.jpg

Broke my own record at the gym...personal best is 34kms in 60 mins (before today)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SiliconAlley_Sam View Post
    Back on the running tonight after a few weeks rest having knackered my knees. Time to factor in some rest days and some resistance work I think. Turns out running every day (having previously done none at all) isn't particularly clever.
    Nooooo, don't run every day. Your body needs time to recover and repair any damage done. Run every other day and if you really need to do something in between then try swimming or just some light gym work.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryMonkey View Post
    Nooooo, don't run every day. Your body needs time to recover and repair any damage done. Run every other day and if you really need to do something in between then try swimming or just some light gym work.
    Yeah, I've switched to every other day now and go for a relatively chilled dog walk on my rest days. Knees are feeling so, so much better.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread