+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, BT Infinity!!! in General; I have had infinity for a while now and am still not happy! i can do a speed test and ...

Thank Post

BT Infinity!!!

I have had infinity for a while now and am still not happy! i can do a speed test and its great, amazing in fact 60-80!!!

The issue is that I struggle to do simple things. Streaming the radio constantly breaks up from my phone in the same room as the router, RDP connections internally are crap (from PC-PC they end the session, at one point it did it about 10 times in a row after being connected for seconds; from ipad to PC it becomes unresponsive).

they have done line test after line test and nothing! engineer out, nothing!

i pretty much had the same kit connect when i had normal BB and all was OK.

Has anyone any ideas! just to clarify its on both wired and wireless connections, PC and server wire, media and tv stuff wire, phones laptops wireless.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,180 Times in 1,615 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by One_Minute_Hero View Post
    I have had infinity for a while now and am still not happy! i can do a speed test and its great, amazing in fact 60-80!!!

The issue is that I struggle to do simple things. Streaming the radio constantly breaks up from my phone in the same room as the router, RDP connections internally are crap (from PC-PC they end the session, at one point it did it about 10 times in a row after being connected for seconds; from ipad to PC it becomes unresponsive).

they have done line test after line test and nothing! engineer out, nothing!

i pretty much had the same kit connect when i had normal BB and all was OK.

Has anyone any ideas! just to clarify its on both wired and wireless connections, PC and server wire, media and tv stuff wire, phones laptops wireless.
    My next door neighbour had endless problems when he first switched to Infinity and it turned out to be a problem with the Modem. Once replaced by BT, all has been well.

3. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

One_Minute_Hero (4th January 2013)

Thank Post
    silly question do you mean the homehub or the white box?

I have received a new homehub at the weekend but haven't tested it in anger yet

Thank Post
    How are the devices connecting for wired/wired etc? I don't see how it would affect any of those things unless you are using the router as a switch.

Thank Post
    A few times a day it will drop out as it does a call back to the exchange to get the best speed, but that does not explain the 10 times in a row.

Thank Post
    BT Infinity!!!-bb.png
    the home hub has three cables that go externally to my office upstairs with hp microserver, pc, printer.
    another is going to a mini switch connecting raspberrypi (xbmc!), xbox, digital stream, tv, bluray player

wireless is 2x iphones, ipad, 2x laptops, wii, 3ds

obviously not all on at once, normal use is server, raspberry pi, iphone/ipad

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,443 Posts
    [QUOTE=One_Minute_Hero;912476]
    , RDP connections internally are crap (from PC-PC they end the session, at one point it did it about 10 times in a row after being connected for seconds; from ipad to PC it becomes unresponsive).
    QUOTE]

Does sound like something internally i.e homehub or whatever is not/was not working correctly as RDP from PC to PC in the same house is only using the internal nework nothing to do with the outside world?

Ben

Thank Post
    exactly, as said i now have a new hub, whilst i havent tested the streaming, i was crying over an rdp connection last night.

the other thing is that whilst i can do a speed test and get 70 odd sometimes it can go as low as 1 or 2 then shoot back up.

browsing the net is quick but not lightening!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,180 Times in 1,615 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by One_Minute_Hero View Post
    silly question do you mean the homehub or the white box?

I have received a new homehub at the weekend but haven't tested it in anger yet
    In his case it was the modem, the "white box" I assume, that was causing the problems. His line speeds were slower than they had been before he switched and it kept dropping out. He had to battle it out with BT to get a new one... it took a few weeks of arguing with them; replacing the Homehub made no difference. Once the modem was replaced everything settled down and he's getting the expected 40 Meg.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Can I ask why you went with BT not another provider?

Thank Post
    cant get virgin in our town. dad went with infinity and his works perfectly, his mate went with ....... cant remember who and his was half the speed, always having issues. i was already with bt for normal BB and that worked fine

Thank Post
    Be aware that BT's VDSL solutions use a HomeHub and VDSL Modem (Huawei) in transparent mode.
    The MTU size setting is critical and the Homehub is set to 1492 (or less 8 byte increments)
    I know, because I have had a nightmare setting up 3rd party firewalls with them.

I have Virgin at home so I havent had the oppourtunity to play more with other equipment settings using Infinity, but if you have it and have the time to experiment then MTU settings seem to be a good place to start with performance issues.
    Im not certain how this may impact on your LAN configs obviously Gigabit and jumbo frames using 9000 for your lan traffic is fine but what happens on your switch ports linking to your Internet gateway devices?
    Do you get any issues, errors, overuns or runt packets?

Maybe some geekers with Infinity and the tools in place to play might feedback.

I have a couple of upcoming projects that will be using Infinity and intersite VPN tunnels the MTU issue has solved one of them but the lack of available Lab time on an Infinity link means relying on others to do the hard work and blog it.

14. Thanks to m25man from:

One_Minute_Hero (4th January 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread