+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Service at restaurants of late in General; Over the past few months Iíve noticed an increasing trend that while eating out (particularly at Pizza Express in Reading/Oxford ...
    Thank Post

Service at restaurants of late

Over the past few months Iíve noticed an increasing trend that while eating out (particularly at Pizza Express in Reading/Oxford but also at other places) that the waiters seem to forget about the customer once the main meal has been served?

Particularly on pretty much every occasion Iíve had to go up and ask for the bill as the waiters just seem to go around serving others not noticing my partner and I sitting around with empty plates.

Any else noticed the same or is it just me?

Thank Post
    Yes and it winds me up no end.

Tip is dependent on whether I have to chase them for the bill.

My father in law has a great trick of just getting up and leaving. You'd be amazed how quickly the bill appears then.

3. 2 Thanks to Trapper:

Garacesh (16th January 2013), hit (4th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 1,594 Posts
    At a half empty Pizza Express in Bluewater a couple of months ago they forgot about us from the moment the order was taken. We ran out of time to order dessert and asked for the bill. That took an age to come and the children and I scrabbled round between us for enough cash to pay as life was too short to wait for a card machine. We put the cash on the table and left the restaurant without a single member if staff acknowledging us.

In our local, a couple of years back, we didn't even make it to a table. In a mostly empty restaurant the waiters completely ignored us as we waited to be seated. After 10 minutes we left and walked up the road to Ask.

Pizza Express Luton has been good every time we've used it!

Thank Post
    To be fair, the waiters also get slated for presenting the bill too early and giving the impression that they want you out. Also, their priority is getting food onto the table. I've found standing up indicates to the waiter that you are ready to leave and they will usually get your bill promptly. It must be quite a juggling act in a busy restaurant. In a quiet one, there is simply no excuse and that's probably why they are quiet!

Thank Post
    Don't do PE very often twice in the last year. And they do seem to be under attentive ( over attentive is bad too ).

One time they put my Pizza twice on the bill. Lucky I checked!

Rob

Thank Post
    I have noticed it too, most recent time it wound me up was in our local Ask we had to chase them to get more drinks, there were about 15 of us and we were all ready to get plastered so it was very annoying to had to keep trying to catch their eye to order a round of drinks at £60 a time.

hit
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    My father in law has a great trick of just getting up and leaving. You'd be amazed how quickly the bill appears then.
    I use the same trick and you'll be amazed how many times the bill hasn't appeared, I have ended up walking out of several restaurants without paying whatsoever due to poor service. Funny enough the latest was pizza express in Greenwich which was pretty empty at the time.

Thank Post
    As laserblazer said, it's actually quite bad manners for them to put the bill on your table before you ask for it as it looks like they're trying to hurry you out and is normally strongly discouraged. Having to chase for drinks etc is different though - they should be keeping an eye on the tables in their areas for drinks etc.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The last time it happened was a fish and chip restaurant in Sutton. I was waiting around for ages and eventually had to call the waitress who told me to pay at a second restaurant counter. No signs, so just assumed if you had table service they brought the bill to the table like every other restaurant. I wasn't the only one, a family in the restaurant was doing the same!

I have been to places that ask for payment at the till but they are normally greasy spoons and they usually tell you.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,866 Times in 1,384 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Service at restaurants of late

Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Pizza Express Luton has been good every time we've used it!
    Is this the same one by a church and the mall shopping centre, around the corner from the university?

If so, I have to disagree personally. I've had poor service every time.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 1,594 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post

Is this the same one by a church and the mall shopping centre, around the corner from the university?

If so, I have to disagree personally. I've had poor service every time.
    The one in the old Freemason's hall. We use it every time we're up for a Hatters home game and never had a problem... not that there are many people in it on a Saturday lunchtime. There never seems to be more than half a dozen tables occupied and the restaurant is huge.

Thank Post
    Had this a few times where we've been surrounded by empty plates, though equally as bad are the ones that hover around you and, as we had in an Italian place a few weeks ago, the second the Mrs had finished her meal and put down her cutlery, the plates were whisked away before she could even finish chewing!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,866 Times in 1,384 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Service at restaurants of late

When you're up next let me know. I'd lovr to join you for lunch and say hello.

Thank Post
    I have noticed this a fair bit lately as well, wife and I have been left in a few places now (PE was one that I do recall here that did it and some other restaraunts have done the same) where you get left in the restaurant and ignored, even if its not exactly busy, I don't know what they expect you to do after you have your plate taken away and refused any desserts or coffees, sit there and enjoy the ambience perhaps ? lol PE took about 10 minutes to get us our bill here and we were only one of 6 tables active in the restaurant with about 6 people working there.

Thank Post
    Well at least its not just me

I may have to send them an email (and link to this article if that's ok by everyone) - not that I expect a response but hey!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast