+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Clipless Pedals in General; Who else has moved over to clip-less pedals they are great I now cycled for 5 hours with them. If ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Clipless Pedals

Who else has moved over to clip-less pedals they are great I now cycled for 5 hours with them. If you commute to work get clip-less pedals it makes such a difference.

Thank Post
    Just back to them after a break of 5 years. Had to give them up while I was regularly towing my kids on tag-a-longs - my eldest made the whole cycling experience highly unstable

They're just as good as I remember them. Make sure you've got you cleats properly adjusted - you'll know if you haven't because your knees will start to hurt.

Thank Post
    ah yes. Good memories for these!
    Apart from when I just got them and popped a wheelie and over did it. Couldn't get feet off the pedals and smashed my coccyx into the road which made me cry. Alot.
    I soon got used to the pedals (and to use my back brake to control a wheelie)!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think if you're the type to enjoy a wheelie then clippies aren't for you!

Thank Post
    I remember from starting out on clipless peddles.... Sometimes stopping is not for you.... Staying upright is not for you!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    I think if you're the type to enjoy a wheelie then clippies aren't for you!
    Yeah, This was when I first got into mountain biking and all I knew was cross country, so spent all my pocket money on making it light. Then I discovered trials and dirt jumping and the pedals went promptly in the tool box for a few years. Got them on the roadie now, cos I'm all grown up and that! neeeeoooown

Thank Post
    I've been riding with big chunky platforms for years.. My dirt jump bike doubles up as my commute bike (it's either that or a big suspension downhill bike)

The amount of times I've slipped the front wheel out on a wet drain cover and saved myself; I could never consider clips.

DT2
    Lakeville, Carleton County, New Brunswick
    Thank Post
    First time I ever tried clipless, I tightened the cleats a little too much..... needless to say, me and the grey stuff had a little meeting. At the traffic lights no less.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The 1st thing I did was to loosen the pedals off so I could get out quickly. I also practise one with one pedal.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholab View Post
    The 1st thing I did was to loosen the pedals off so I could get out quickly. I also practise one with one pedal.
    Great idea - and no offence intended - but who here reckons nicholab will fall at least once in the learning process?

Mine was traffic lights - wasn't that I couldn't, just that I didn't! Very embarrassing, and cost me a helmet. A timely reminder that you don't need to be riding fast to need a helmet. I broke my (expensive) helmet falling from stationary.

Still worth it and I only did it once...

...so far

Thank Post
    I was told when i fitted them that I would fall off, and sure enough I did, several times - always makes me laugh!

After a while, you get used to them, you know when to unclip in advance and also emphasize the lean of the bike when you unclip so you dont fall the opposite way.

When its slippy, I swap my pedals for normal ones as its much safer. I read about a guy who fell at 5mph on ice in a CTC magazine, he ended up in hospital and in a wheelchair for 18 months! He was lucky to be alive, he must have really come down hard.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information