+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Time for the Media PC to Evolve? in General; Originally Posted by dhicks So you mean instead of a bent paperclip I use a resistor with its ends connecting ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    So you mean instead of a bent paperclip I use a resistor with its ends connecting the appropriate connectors? Is there a particular value resistor I should use? I'm thinking of using a Pico Power supply, whichever one will manage four harddrives:

LinITX.com - DC-DC Power Boards

Then I simply get four harddrives, connect them up to power and a SATA expander:

Lycom ST-126RM SATA II 3Gbps 1-To-5 Port Multiplier bridge board (for Rack Mount on eBay!

And build some kind of box around them in laser-cut mild steel / CNC-milled aluminium.
    Pico PSU to power the hard drives and the Lycom board to treat multiple drives as one large drive ?? Presume the board deals with raid levels ie 0, 5 etc ?

Thank Post
    16 TB raw storage? Freeooww!

On media PC. I'm of a mixed mind (or maybe just horribly mixed up). I see a need for a low power, always on device that does multiple duty as a NAS, PBX and home automation server. In front of the big screen I need something with a bit of grunt to play the kind of games I like to play or I need to knuckle under and not even contemplate playing Rise of Flight on a 2.5 meter screen (but what a waste that would be!).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Wow, seems I timed it right to retire the media PC as well: Windows Media Center EPG has SWITCHED OFF, wail Euro users ? The Register
    No EPG on Windows Media Center anymore!
    I was just reading that and was going to post that here!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,301 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Time for the Media PC to Evolve?

Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Wow, seems I timed it right to retire the media PC as well: Windows Media Center EPG has SWITCHED OFF, wail Euro users ? The Register
    No EPG on Windows Media Center anymore!
    Ha, EPG never even worked in nz, not for more than the current and next show. Approx no loss here.

It shows that no-one really cares about nz when examining the tech that works here without hacking it.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 3rd January 2013 at 02:59 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Pico PSU to power the hard drives and the Lycom board to treat multiple drives as one large drive ?? Presume the board deals with raid levels ie 0, 5 etc ?
    No, the idea is to get the computer able to see the individual drives in the external enclosure so it can use mdadm or ZFS to do RAID. Seemingly, a PCI Express card using a sil3132 chipset should be compatible with that Lycom board. I've ordered a PicoPSU and a Lycom SATA expander board, I'll see how the kit all goes together. If you want a silent external DAS device for your media PC that does RAID itself (JMicro chipset) then the Riley storage unit from Tranquil PC looks like it should do nicely.

6. Thanks to dhicks from:

mac_shinobi (3rd January 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12