+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Christmas EVE an I'm at work! in General; I'm at a clients doing a wireless survey!! Hope to leave at around 2pm....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    I'm at a clients doing a wireless survey!! Hope to leave at around 2pm.

Thank Post
    When I used to do retail POS support for a large retail chain back in the l8 90's we had to work Christmas eve and boxing day and do a system check on Christmas day (no remote support).

Evening processing and shop data transfer ( 250 shops on 33K Modems ) would have to be completed before we left on Christmas eve and that took until after midnight.

Rob

3. Thanks to twin--turbo from:

elsiegee40 (24th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Aaah, yes the good old 1890s. Lots of technology around then needing support over the festive period.

5. 2 Thanks to HarryMonkey:

Chris_ (24th December 2012), nephilim (26th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,603 Posts
    Mickey taking aside, there are many working today in far worse places than server rooms today.

My eldest is in Sainsbury's being shouted at by people who didn't pre-order fresh turkey and seem think it's her fault there are none on the meat counter. She's threatening bodily harm to the next person who complains about the lack of fresh whole salmon.

My brother in law will be spending Christmas Eve in the blood bank of a Midlands hospital. Someone has to be there for those needing treatment tonight

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Mickey taking aside, there are many working today in far worse places than server rooms today.

My eldest is in Sainsbury's being shouted at by people who didn't pre-order fresh turkey and seem think it's her fault there are none on the meat counter. She's threatening bodily harm to the next person who complains about the lack of fresh whole salmon.
    I know what that is like. I was working in Sainsbury's last Christmas!

Thank Post
    We're tho tbf reimaged 4 pcs stuck a new HDD in another ensured the papercut databased was backing up so i can upgrade next week. Went for lunch and about to go home easy day

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    I should be but everyone that is contracted to work today has that much TOIL accrued we all agreed to close on Friday with the kids and teachers

So not back till 2nd as I've taken the time off between Xmas and New Year, however our LA are sneaky new full time all year staff have to take 2 unpaid days off at Christmas to ensure that buildings can close up and be shut-down to save costs.... However it doesn't really make much difference when we are so small and turn the heating down and only use lights as needed as we just wear a few layers if its cold but due to that much staff turn-over there is only myself and my technincian that are left without the 2 compulsory days off as the governors agreed it was not right to force us to change as we respect the Christmas closure and if/when we leave our replacements will have the new style contracts so it won't be a problem.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,317 Times in 1,630 Posts
    Most people in non- educational environments have to work at least some Christmas days -when I was in industry I chose to work between Christmas and New Year because I could get paperwork done and stuff sorted that I never got the chance to get to. But I am glad I don't have to now!
    Happy Christmas All

Thank Post
    So far we've had a productive day at work, ran a load of network cable to a new suite ready to terminate next month, run the Windows Updates on the servers and got the SIMS Autumn update installed.
    Another hour or so then we're done til the kids are back.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    I gave up 4 hours of my time on Friday 19th after the staff and students had left at 12:30 noon, 2.5 hours of this was a wasted Sims Autumn upgrade which rolled back due to the last database update not being 100% tolerant and initialised a full rollback.

Didn't bother re-deploying as I wanted to get home and so did the site member of staff who was with me.

Do I give a s**t................no its my Christmas as well and it can wait til I get back on the 7th Jan

Merry Christmas everyone and have a great time.................Chillin and stuffing

13. Thanks to bossman from:

chazzy2501 (27th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Let's spare a thought for all the travellers trying to get home for Xmas.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 1,414 Posts
    We had an email on Friday from the group CEO saying all staff could leave at 3pm if their work was done, didn't apply to us apparently.

Ben

Thank Post
    Was in today running Windows Update on Servers, also had a job for the HT appear nice and simple hard drive swap due to a small 'drop' (personal PC so no matter of mine!).

Was on the way home by 2pm and you know what - it was a good day

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 1,104 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When I was doing security and store detective work I officially finished an hour after the stores closed ... mainly to double check that the staff were only taking home the stuff they purchased, had bagged up and signed for (part of the staff discount meant you could buy x amount each week but could only take it home on Christmas Eve and all purchases were logged). There are few things worse than having to go into the staff room and ask for each person to come out to collect their bags and having to ask them if there is anything that shouldn't be in there. No matter how much you become friends with other staff ... in that line of work you still end up having to be Mr Nasty at times.

Still, at least I was lucky enough never to have to do an Xmas duty whilst in the forces, but being an LA escalation point for the RBC over the break always filled me with dread about shat could go wrong (but rarely did ... thankfully)!

Then again ... there was a very interesting Xmas a few years back with a certain irritating poster (to me, at least) who was trying to use EG as another launchpad to continue a vendetta against some folk in CEOP ... interesting calls on Xmas day and Boxing day threatening legals, etc ... a lot of bluster and annoyance.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    a certain irritating poster (to me, at least)
    that one of the tennis player with her bum out?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast