+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Hardware - HP v Dell in General; Hi Guys, Who prefers HP and who prefers Dell? Servers + Desktops Support, Hardware, maintenance etc.........
    Thank Post

Hardware - HP v Dell

Hi Guys,

Who prefers HP and who prefers Dell?

Servers + Desktops

Support, Hardware, maintenance etc......
    Last edited by MicrosoftTechy; 20th December 2012 at 11:19 AM.

Thank Post
    Dell personally. You pay more, but you get a lot more. Quicker reponses to issues, (less issues in the first place too it seems), standard longer warranties etc etc

(Unless you mean switches etc?)

Steve

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,446 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve21 View Post
    Dell personally. You pay more, but you get a lot more. Quicker reponses to issues, (less issues in the first place too it seems), standard longer warranties etc etc

Steve
    Same here. Plus you get all the extra tools for example managing the BIOS of the machines centerally.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve21 View Post

Steve
    Could not agree more... same here. But HP Procurve for switches!

Thank Post
    Dell. Good solid kit, unbelievably reliable, good service on the few occasions minor issues have cropped up.
    HP - flaky, overpriced. Service can be good but won't touch their servers or PC's ever again (or for a long long time, whichever is sooner). Their switches are a different kettle of fish though...

Thank Post
    This is a bit like the iOs and Android debate I have good and bad experiences with both HP and Dell, My last few server purchase for VM hosts have been HP G7's which have been great.

Thank Post
    Dell on servers, not so bothered by brand of desktop/laptop these days, I just pick whatever does the job at the best price but with a bit of haggling then Dell usually come out well on price anyway.
    Why do I dislike HP servers, well:
    Inability to retain extended warranty information that you've registered with them, also taking the start date of any warranty as the manufacturing date rather than the purchase date means virtually every warranty request means digging out invoices etc.
    Their servers are LOUD, one HP is louder than a rack full of Dells and yes HP have been out and say there is no problem.
    They love to use the 'it's a software not a hardware problem', even though the software works fine on other hardware.

Thank Post
    Dells for servers and workstations.

Takes me less than 15 seconds to get the hard drive out of one our new Dells for re-imaging.

Servers: Had the DVD drive go in one of our domain controllers (years ago) and a NIC in our Smoothwall (years ago too), but both replaced same day, no problems. Since then, they've been boringly solid.

Procurve switches for the lifetime guarantee.

Wouldn't touch HP laptops or workstations with the proverbial barge-pole. Just a preference.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 866 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not much experience of HP workstations/servers: Except one bad experience with a Compaq PC [ages ago!] So Dell for servers, desktops and laptops.

Switches: We have an HP Procurve at the centre of our network and 3Com edge switches. 3Com stuff is really old and we look like switching to HP soon.

Printers: 100% HP.

Copiers: Kyocera.

Thank Post
    Dell throughout here for workstations, HP for servers, cisco for switches.

Only beef with Dell is poor peripherals.

Lost countless mice - they go unresponsive or fail internally.

E178 monitors are gash. Tap them on the bottom right corner too hard, and pop goes the internal fuse, plug fuse and room breaker. Or they die randomly, or lock up and need a hard power off and back on.

Keyboards seem good, but I have at least 3 minor revisions here in the same batch, and my keyboard (newer style) is just hateful..imprecise keys.

WD Caviar Blue standard drives are at best merely OK..having a fair turnover of those too..thank god for MDT. The "base" T3400/T3500s though, not bad.

Thank Post
    Personally, I've been let down by the service from both.
    In an ideal world, I'd go for Dell but HP is a decent compromise if you are on a restricted budget.

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    Many frustrations with inadequate, foreign help centers with HP servers, no such problems with Dell. I allways shudder when need to call HP, feel like pulling my hair out and head butting the nearest wall before dialing the number.
    Last edited by Davit2005; 20th December 2012 at 01:51 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,391 Times in 1,853 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Weird, I love our HP servers - we're onto our third generation of them now, using some of their Gen8 models. Support is excellent - we've had to replace a couple of drives over the years and they've always arrived next day as expected. With more complex issues, an engineer is also out the next day with the parts.

HP workstations and laptops are a little more variable - the engineers are always here quickly and do their job well, but they do seem to struggle with supply chain sometimes - wrong parts being sent for example.

However, that said, Dell were the same in my last school - every time we reported a dead LCD in a laptop, they'd send us the wrong panel, then the wrong lead, etc... So it'd take a while.

The only thing I will say that differs pretty greatly is boot times. The BIOS/EFI boot time on HP servers is looooong. A similar Dell will get past that stage in a third the time.

Also, Dell don't appear to sell a 2U server in their latest generation range which runs the E5-2690.
    Last edited by localzuk; 20th December 2012 at 02:02 PM.

14. Thanks to localzuk from:

Davit2005 (20th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,647 Times in 2,249 Posts
    Blog Entries
    HP, had nothing but trouble with shoddy dell gear, had dodgy hp stuff but dell has had more issues for me.

Thank Post
    I've noticed a few posts above about Dell being dearer than HP, if you go direct to Dell through their Edu team or work with a Dell Reseller who has access to their Edu team you'll find the pricing is very favourable to HP and others.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast