+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Hardware - HP v Dell in General; Originally Posted by teejay I've noticed a few posts above about Dell being dearer than HP, if you go direct ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,916 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    I've noticed a few posts above about Dell being dearer than HP, if you go direct to Dell through their Edu team or work with a Dell Reseller who has access to their Edu team you'll find the pricing is very favourable to HP and others.
    See, there's another issue -I've had nothing but trouble *buying* from Dell. My account manager at the last place was, to be blunt, useless. I was lucky to get a reply many times! Then if we needed to order a spare part (an LCD panel for a laptop for example), they couldn't handle it, instead making us call another line which wanted payment there and then via the phone using a card. No amount of wrangling got past that one, so we had to go elsewhere for it. When we did manage to order some spare batteries, they sent us the wrong ones too.

HP's reseller network is a lot more robust I would say. Nearly all of my common suppliers don't sell Dell stuff.

Thank Post
    Agree, Dell Support is good but buying it is the problem, given up dealing with a Dell Account manager, taking forever to respond to quote requests, better be right first time, if not, wouldn't bother trying to get it adjusted. Buying through resellers, just means they have the hassle and it's still just as slow (and expensive) Dell kit seems hideously expensive now (servers not so) Always, always used to buy Dell all in ones, just can't justify the cost anymore. Always bough HP ML350's which have been fab. A few hdd's pop and a motherboard die, but they've always sorted very promptly! Did buy a dell server recently against my will, wish we hadn't, it's okay now, but the fight get Windows 08r2 on it, urrgh. Don't really many desktops these days, currently like the HP all in ones, but they've discontinued the model I had been buying, haven't had to look since. Always buy Samsung laptops for the moment. Give it a year to 18 months and no doubt things will have changed again.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've noticed a few posts above about Dell being dearer than HP, if you go direct to Dell through their Edu team or work with a Dell Reseller who has access to their Edu team you'll find the pricing is very favourable to HP and others.
    Weird, the hp stuff is more expencive here but worth it for the quality. One school I was working with tried to buy Dell gear, after a week of trying to get even a account manager to talk about quotes with we gave up.

The other school already had some contact with Dell but have switched to HP for quality and reliability reasons.

Thank Post
    We use mainly Dell for servers and workstations - had a harddrive go on a server recently, we were offered the part, with or without an engineer to fit it. We opted to fit it ourselves, it was here within 4 hours, and I even got a phone call two days later to check everything was up and running OK. I was very impressed with the service.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    See, there's another issue -I've had nothing but trouble *buying* from Dell. My account manager at the last place was, to be blunt, useless. I was lucky to get a reply many times! Then if we needed to order a spare part (an LCD panel for a laptop for example), they couldn't handle it, instead making us call another line which wanted payment there and then via the phone using a card. No amount of wrangling got past that one, so we had to go elsewhere for it. When we did manage to order some spare batteries, they sent us the wrong ones too.

HP's reseller network is a lot more robust I would say. Nearly all of my common suppliers don't sell Dell stuff.
    Really weird, we've had 3 account managers in the 10 years I've been here, all have been great and they tend to beat HP for equivalent kit. We also have no problems ordering spare parts by purchase order, yes it is a different department but we just email them the PO. Really strange how they vary so much.

The worst manufacturer I've dealt with are Oracle when they bought out Sun, we had some Sun Unified Storage boxes, they were decommissioned in summer.

Thank Post
    HP for me, Dell's business and support processes lose them more custom than any other major manufacturer I reckon. Procurve network kit is solid and servers also been good for me with the exception of our DL180. That thing has shocking firmware that runs fans at full pelt (10000rpm!) as soon as you install an expansion card, despite having temperature sensors all round the motherboard. Only got it as I needed a server with plenty of drive bays but it's clear the quality of management features drops very sharply on the lower end servers i.e. anything below the 380 series.

Dell desktops made me laugh a few years back, sent the same spec to 3 or 4 suppliers (Stone, HP etc) and whereas most came out around the £400 mark for a base unit Dell were giving £750 as their base price, regardless of what channel you get the kit from it the price shouldn't vary by £300!
    Last edited by gshaw; 20th December 2012 at 02:24 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,916 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Really weird, we've had 3 account managers in the 10 years I've been here, all have been great and they tend to beat HP for equivalent kit. We also have no problems ordering spare parts by purchase order, yes it is a different department but we just email them the PO. Really strange how they vary so much.

The worst manufacturer I've dealt with are Oracle when they bought out Sun, we had some Sun Unified Storage boxes, they were decommissioned in summer.
    Worst I dealt with was Fujitsu-Siemens. Awful. Just plain awful. We were an entirely F-S school before they made us wait over a week for support on our Active Directory server which had packed up.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    HP for me, I have got about 100 Dell as well through a school merger and I am finding my stress levels through the roof on them, stupid faults we've swapped a number of mainboards now due to faulty fan controllers, the call centre is poor and generally the kit is poor build quality and the design is poor the Optiplex SFF's we've got are pants design and overheat easily as it hasn't really got any decent fans or airflow where as the HP SFFs we have do.

The HP kit I have is simple, parts turn up next day (not that we need many and we probably have heading for 200 of them now), they are well built and feel strong, use off the shelf parts in most cases which I am finding the dells are not using they are slightly custom/not easy to sort out

HP Servers have much smarter tools than Dell's in my experience as I have 2 Dell Servers and they just don't have that finishing touch that the HPs do, the iLO on the HP is better than Dell's system, the install tools simpler and the BIOS on a HP wipes the floor with Dell for simplicity, took me 10 minutes to suss out the RAID card on one of the Dells we have where as HP it is just logical and simple.

Price wise, I didn't buy these Dells but when I have priced them before HP can always beat the Dell pricing which I am glad about as they are just not worth it, and we certainly have said we won't be considering buying any Dell kit still and will go elsewhere for PCs if the HPs are too costly, Lenovo kit maybe cheap and thus not as well built as the HP but its still better than Dell in my investigations so far

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12