+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Xbox Headset in General; My nephew wants a new headset for his Xbobx to replace the current ones held together with tape. I assume ...

Thank Post

Xbox Headset

My nephew wants a new headset for his Xbobx to replace the current ones held together with tape. I assume I can just get any headset and it will work? I would look at sound and mic quality but as his current one is held together with tape, I'm reluctant to spend a lot of money on something which isn't going to be looked after too well, but equally I don't want to get rubbish either. I bought a headset for about 30 earlier this year, but as it's USB and fine for me sitting at the computer I don't know if it would be suitable for an xbox and the games he'd play. Can anyone recommend a cheap but half decent one?

Edit: Would something like this Turtle Beach be ok? Seems to get decent enough reviews.
    Last edited by penfold; 18th December 2012 at 03:40 PM.

Thank Post
    That would work or one of the official Microsoft headsets, I dont believe you can just use any headset you need one that is designed for the Xbox 360

Turtlebeach ones are stereo, Microsoft ones are mono

Microsoft ones are really just designed for in game chat Turtlebeach are for when you dont want to disturb other users in the room.

If you go for the Turtlebeach and he is hooking up via HDMI I believe he will need this HDMI Cable & Audio Adapter for Xbox 360
    Last edited by JJonas; 18th December 2012 at 09:15 PM.

3. Thanks to JJonas from:

penfold (18th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 1,496 Posts
    Teenage son says it's a 2mm plug on the Xbox headset, so you need an adapter for most standard headsets which have 3.5mm plugs. (He might not have the dimensions correct, but it's definitely smaller than a standard headphone plug!)

He uses this one: Xbox 360 Elite Black w/ Grey Wired Headset OEM - Official Microsoft Product: Amazon.co.uk: PC & Video Games
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 18th December 2012 at 04:19 PM.

5. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

penfold (18th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanks, at least now I know I can't just get a standard set and expect it to work. Why shouldn't I be suprised at that!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 1,496 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    Thanks, at least now I know I can't just get a standard set and expect it to work. Why shouldn't I be suprised at that!!
    Having just googled it, the size is 2.5mm.

My son is very fussy about headphones and headsets for Skype, etc and I was extremely surprised when he requested the one I linked to above for Christmas to replace his taped-up headset... it seemed too cheap, but it's what he wants.
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 18th December 2012 at 04:24 PM.

8. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

penfold (19th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Teenage son says it's a 2mm plug on the Xbox headset, so you need an adapter for most standard headsets which have 3.5mm plugs.
    Being a cheapskate and only a very occasional gamer, I got a <2 Fleabay adapter though I'd suggest getting a slightly better one if it's for a present.

10. Thanks to LeMarchand from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 729 Posts
    The Turtle Beach headsets are great, although they're a bit more than just a chat headset - they connect to your TV so that you can hear the game and the chat through them, with independeant volume controls for each. You do need the splitter @JJonas linked to in order to use them at the same time as HDMI though. I picked up this pair for 15 in ASDA a couple of weeks back and have been very happy with them: Turtle Beach Ear Force XLA Headset (Xbox 360): Amazon.co.uk: PC & Video Games

My younger brother, who plays a lot more XBOX than I do, owns these and really rates them: Turtle Beach X12 Headset (Xbox 360): Amazon.co.uk: PC & Video Games

12. Thanks to LosOjos from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread